Golden Lion south hylton

You know when it first went up for sale people were wondering what it would end up as, some joker said bail hostel or halfway house or suchlike...........

It’s been up for sale for so long, I’m uncertain that it’ll be bought to convert to luxury apartments, which then leaves…

I was under the impression they didn't own the carpark (not the one next to the river, the other one) but the plans show the whole site built on.

Would be nice to see something done with the place, can't stay as it is but still gutted the pub is gone. Ran correctly it has made decent money in the past.

The last owners ran it into the ground towards the end and then it mysteriously went up in smoke. Whatever happens the doorway needs removing and giving to Hylton Castle.

I was under the impression they didn't own the carpark (not the one next to the river, the other one) but the plans show the whole site built on.

Would be nice to see something done with the place, can't stay as it is but still gutted the pub is gone. Ran correctly it has made decent money in the past.

The last owners ran it into the ground towards the end and then it mysteriously went up in smoke. Whatever happens the doorway needs removing and giving to Hylton Castle.
From what I can see, if you're looking at it straight on it's the bit of land on the left that's included but not the land on the right. If they were to get permission for a block of flats that could potentially be say 50/60 cars extra driving up and down that bank and where would they all park?

It was still a canny pint and decent bait like, never many there down to location probably, which is probably why they never give it the renovation it was in desperate need of, sad, I liked it

They would of course. Doesn't mean their objections will be listened too. They weren't at a one near me which ended in the death of a man due to arson.
Awful that.
It was still a canny pint and decent bait like, never many there down to location probably, which is probably why they never give it the renovation it was in desperate need of, sad, I liked it
The Russian lass running it at the end was obnoxious - she was a major factor in it's unpopularity.

It's on a fairly busy dog-walking route but they wouldn't allow dogs in - big loss in relatively regular trade right there. Couldn't see the reason, to be fair - it had stone floors so it wasn't like they were going to ruin the carpets.

Last edited:
Awful that.

The Russian lass running it at the end was obnoxious - she was a major factor in it's unpopularity.

It's on a fairly busy dog-walking route but they wouldn't allow dogs in - big loss in relatively regular trade right there. Couldn't see the reason, to be fair - it had stone floors so it wasn't like they were going to ruin the carpets.
Yeah. Building has been sold again and work is being done on it now. Not expecting it to reopen as anything good for the area.

From what I can see, if you're looking at it straight on it's the bit of land on the left that's included but not the land on the right. If they were to get permission for a block of flats that could potentially be say 50/60 cars extra driving up and down that bank and where would they all park?
Plans have underground / ground floor parking. This is assuming the council sell them the current carpark (land on the right).
Ukrainian, she did treat people like crap though, not what you need when you get lots of locals. The Potters was on the up long before this place closed as her attitude and falling numbers meant the atmosphere was poor to say the least.

Awful that.

Everyone walks their dogs along that stretch, bad move banning dogs, the railway, the potters, and the lion were the heart of the village when I was a kid.

Awful that.

She was Serbian....
We were in with ours a few times like, she had it for about 10years before it finally closed like

People who bought it and got planning permission no longer have the funds to do the job. That’s why it’s back up for sale. Few problems with it are car parking space and the front door arch has to be kept as part of the building.

Oh and the lass who had it before it closed was an idiot who tricked her fella out of the pub by fiddling and now she’s doing the same to someone else in Newcastle …… she’s basically a gold digger who was brought to this country with nowt

People who bought it and got planning permission no longer have the funds to do the job. That’s why it’s back up for sale. Few problems with it are car parking space and the front door arch has to be kept as part of the building.

Oh and the lass who had it before it closed was an idiot who tricked her fella out of the pub by fiddling and now she’s doing the same to someone else in Newcastle …… she’s basically a gold digger who was brought to this country with nowt
Who does Steve Guttenberg play ?

Back