Golden Lion south hylton

Was there an Ernie Doran? He'd be in his mid/late sixties now I think!
The oldest kid would have been Keith or Steve, both deceased now,Barry, Michelle, and David also gone, was Ernie the uncle who used to wander round muttering to himself, he would be in his 70's now?

My Dad was Bob Beattie
I can’t remember your Dad but Jim Beattie was the organist at St Mary’s and that’s why I thought it could have been him.
The oldest kid would have been Keith or Steve, both deceased now,Barry, Michelle, and David also gone, was Ernie the uncle who used to wander round muttering to himself, he would be in his 70's now?
Ernie will be about 67 or 68 and is alive and well as I was talking to him a short while ago at a funeral of another South Hylton lad.

Last edited:
Gerry was a dude, used to scare me with stories of his pacemaker wires popping out of his chest 😂 always smoking his pipe on that bench.

I knew Billy doran, all the Dorans, shocked to hear the twins Michelle and Barry had died so young.
Billy in same class as me at South Hylton, never knew he’d pulled someone from the river. Not a bad footballer either.

I had a few occasions which were celebrated there around that time. Birthdays and anniversaries etc. It was a great venue. Did you work the bar downstairs or up in the function room?
I used to do both, loved doing the functions Brian Smith was normally the DJ

Billy in same class as me at South Hylton, never knew he’d pulled someone from the river. Not a bad footballer either.
Billy‘s Dad was also called Billy and I think it might have been him who rescued someone from the river, he was with Charlie at the time, who was his brother and that might explain why you were not aware of this.

Gerry was a dude, used to scare me with stories of his pacemaker wires popping out of his chest 😂 always smoking his pipe on that bench.

I knew Billy doran, all the Dorans, shocked to hear the twins Michelle and Barry had died so young.
Dorans are my cousins on my mams side. Never seen any of them for decades now though.

Back