Going vegan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Even so, I bet it accounts for less than 1% of the processed and wasteful crap that supermarkets knock out. There was something on the tele yesterday that said 8 million microwave meals are sold every day in the UK. Minging that like.
It’s not just about that though. It’s what land is being cleared to produce soya and what impact that is having on animal habitat and the environment also.

It’s not just about that though. It’s what land is being cleared to produce soya and what impact that is having on animal habitat and the environment also.

I'm sure, without exact figures to hand, most soya production is for feed for livestock anyway.

Soya is responsible for some rainforest damage these days and its impact is rising. Was reading about it recently. Will see if I can find the article.
I'm sure, without exact figures to hand, most soya production is for feed for livestock anyway.
I do believe this to be true, mind. Think it was mentioned.

EDIT: It's on Green Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite an interesting article on milk consumption here. In Northern Europe 95% of us have, through the evolutionary process, developed the enzyme to break down dairy over a period of 10,000 years. As such, it could be argued that drinking dairy is normal these days in our area of the world. Compare our percentage with Eastern Asia, however, and it's a completely different story. No other animal has developed this trait, which vegans will use as a reason to justify dairy drinking as unnatural, but on the flipside, no other animal drinks milks made of nuts, either. 😉

slight correction- all humans are tolerant to dairy when young (or they couldn’t drink mother’s milk) and in many parts of the world dairy intolerance comes on after infancy. It’s is however fascinating as you say that in the northern hemisphere we evolved to be dairy tolerant all our lives.

Worth a punt marra good luck, trying new things is always refreshing.

I’ve just read a few concerning articles on it recently that’s all. Doesn’t effect me much my diet is veg, pulses, rice, beans etc. Don’t bother with meat substitutes at all. Might try some burgers this weekend though. Any recommendations?

Actually I’m talking shite. I had the plant based shawarma last weeek. Made pickled cabbage, burned lettuce, chilli sauce and garlic mayo. Much better than kebab meat I reckon.

slight correction- all humans are tolerant to dairy when young (or they couldn’t drink mother’s milk) and in many parts of the world dairy intolerance comes on after infancy. It’s is however fascinating as you say that in the northern hemisphere we evolved to be dairy tolerant all our lives.
Yeah, that's mentioned in the article I linked.

Interesting fact: when I lived in Japan, I was told that they think Europeans smell of milk in a similar way to how we think some Asians smell of spice.

Soya is responsible for some rainforest damage these days and its impact is rising. Was reading about it recently. Will see if I can find the article.

I do believe this to be true, mind. Think it was mentioned.

EDIT: It's on Green Peace.
Probably the same article mate. Reminds me of the worries the impact of palm oil is having.

I have no doubt. However, I still believe the vast majority of breweries still don't reveal if they use this byproduct or not. With the rise in veganism this will of course change, but anyone strictly vegan runs the risk of tripping themselves up on a night out unless they're really careful.
Which is why they stick primarily to lager which doesn’t use fish products. Doesn’t affect them greatly.

That's a bit odd. You eat a vegetarian diet, it's okay to say that. I don't eat meat either but I've got a pair of shoes, doesn't bother me.
Aye but I eat cheese, drink wine have a leather jacket, shoes etc and tbh I’m not doing it for anyone but myself and my conscience so I just never mention it. I’ve only ever told people on here and my girlfriend. Just would never consider myself a veggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back