Going vegan

Status
Not open for further replies.

High welfare British meat that you know where its coming from is the way forward for me. The climate and the land structure in this country doesn't lend itself to all out vegan food production so we would have to import.
It takes more land to grow the crops to feed the livestock than it does to feed the population in the first place

A concept I've always hated and struggled with but I've finally decided to make the change. I'll not be forcing it onto the kids but I think I've seen and heard enough to persuade me that a plant based diet is the way forward.

Well done mate. You'll feel better for it. Every need any advice with owt give me a shout.
You don't own leather shoes?

I don't. But if the OP just wants to adjust his diet, then that's his choice.

Last edited:
It takes more land to grow the crops to feed the livestock than it does to feed the population in the first place
Yep that would be true if all food grown was fit for human consumption. A farmer growing wheat will get from £20 to £30 per ton more for bread wheat than cattle feed but it doesn't always meet spec. There's no farmer in his right mind would feed grain or veg to livestock if they could sell it for human consumption.

Been trying to cut back a bit lately and go a few days on just veg every week. Made a lovely roast with different flat mushrooms, celeriac, and Jerusalem artichokes (skin on, crispy outside and buttery melting middle) last weekend. Never let off so much gas in me entire life after. Me and our lass sounded like a professional horn section doing a 6 hour set.

I’ve eaten meat at least once a day since.

Persuaded by number one child, we went more plant based. Once we looked at the facts, it was clear.

First shock was milk and dairy products. After a few months off them, I now find I am intolerant. Which isn't surprising, as cow milk is designed for an animal with four stomachs that chews the cud.

The shops are filling with vegan junk food as food companies cash in on the trend. It is now easily possible to eat a shit diet without eating meat.

I think a more plant based diet is inevitable for everyone. It is a matter of whether people embrace it now, or effectively have it imposed by the market place and environment later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back