Going vegan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Persuaded by number one child, we went more plant based. Once we looked at the facts, it was clear.

First shock was milk and dairy products. After a few months off them, I now find I am intolerant. Which isn't surprising, as cow milk is designed for an animal with four stomachs that chews the cud.

The shops are filling with vegan junk food as food companies cash in on the trend. It is now easily possible to eat a shit diet without eating meat.

I think a more plant based diet is inevitable for everyone. It is a matter of whether people embrace it now, or effectively have it imposed by the market place and environment later.
Quite an interesting article on milk consumption here. In Northern Europe 95% of us have, through the evolutionary process, developed the enzyme to break down dairy over a period of 10,000 years. As such, it could be argued that drinking dairy is normal these days in our area of the world. Compare our percentage with Eastern Asia, however, and it's a completely different story. No other animal has developed this trait, which vegans will use as a reason to justify dairy drinking as unnatural, but on the flipside, no other animal drinks milks made of nuts, either. 😉

It’s all becoming very popular amongst the labour voting middle classes across the country(people with to much time on their hands )

Having said that the morals and health benefits can’t be ignored,but my argument is I’ve never heard what I would call normal working class folk even discuss it never mind carry it out .

Size ?

Might have them off ya when you go full vegan

Mainly a private school upper class fad imho mate

I like the fact that vegans announce that fact without prompting, if they didn’t I might have wasted a couple of minutes of my life talking to the self obsessed, holier than thou fuckers before realising.
I like the fact that meat eaters love to complain about vegans for no reason whatsoever, complain about wasting their time and yet find the time to write a comment about it.

Theres some right knuckle draggers on here.

How dare someone make a personal choice (which makes absolutely no difference to you) to not eat meat, to reduce the amount of animals that are tortured and murdered and be healthier. The evil bastards.

Theres some right knuckle draggers on here.

How dare someone make a personal choice (which makes absolutely no difference to you) to not eat meat, to reduce the amount of animals that are tortured and murdered and be healthier. The evil bastards.

Aye but people banging on about it whilst still driving cars and wearing leather belts and shoes

Not all vegans I know are like this, but the amount I see eating mass produced, GMO soy protein equivalents is worrying. Tesco and the like have jumped on the plant based band wagon and slapped millions behind marketing all to shift more cheap, unsustainable products as it’s the new in thing. More so, these products are wrapped in needles, tricky to recycle plastics as they are little more than convenience foods. As I say, I know quite a few vegans who understand this and eat a seasonal diet of local products, but it’s definitely worth a mention.

Not all vegans I know are like this, but the amount I see eating mass produced, GMO soy protein equivalents is worrying. Tesco and the like have jumped on the plant based band wagon and slapped millions behind marketing all to shift more cheap, unsustainable products as it’s the new in thing. More so, these products are wrapped in needles, tricky to recycle plastics as they are little more than convenience foods. As I say, I know quite a few vegans who understand this and eat a seasonal diet of local products, but it’s definitely worth a mention.

Even so, I bet it accounts for less than 1% of the processed and wasteful crap that supermarkets knock out. There was something on the tele yesterday that said 8 million microwave meals are sold every day in the UK. Minging that like.

Even so, I bet it accounts for less than 1% of the processed and wasteful crap that supermarkets knock out. There was something on the tele yesterday that said 8 million microwave meals are sold every day in the UK. Minging that like.
Aye you’re right, but the supermarkets’ strategy will be to maintain and even increase sales of convenience foods even if they don’t contain meat. That less than 1% figure will only rise.

A concept I've always hated and struggled with but I've finally decided to make the change. I'll not be forcing it onto the kids but I think I've seen and heard enough to persuade me that a plant based diet is the way forward.
Congrats MT. We’re now about 90% vegetarian and are in week five of having an organic British veg box delivered. When I costed everything in it it came out the same price as Sainsbury’s.

Biggest change for me - we eat what we’re given in the box. Not that hard just yet, but there’s a lot of carrot cake and potato scones being made in this house. Will be interesting to see what we get as we leave the plentiful months of summer and autumn.

Funnily enough I was just reading last night about how we all need to cut dairy as well as meat. You know from previous conversations I think cheese is the greatest invention ever, so I’m going to have to think about this. One leading writer suggests no dairy before the evening is a way of cutting your consumption sufficiently to be planet friendly.
Let me know how you get on.

Reactions: Cow
I'd say minimum 2 out of 3 meals each day I have meat/fish.
I like the idea of a plant based diet but worried I'd be hungry all the time and run out of ideas for meals after a couple of days.

Congrats MT. We’re now about 90% vegetarian and are in week five of having an organic British veg box delivered. When I costed everything in it it came out the same price as Sainsbury’s.

Biggest change for me - we eat what we’re given in the box. Not that hard just yet, but there’s a lot of carrot cake and potato scones being made in this house. Will be interesting to see what we get as we leave the plentiful months of summer and autumn.

Funnily enough I was just reading last night about how we all need to cut dairy as well as meat. You know from previous conversations I think cheese is the greatest invention ever, so I’m going to have to think about this. One leading writer suggests no dairy before the evening is a way of cutting your consumption sufficiently to be planet friendly.
Let me know how you get on.
The lass I'm seeing is a vegetarian leaning toward vegan tendencies. Cheese is the only sticking point for her, but she rarely has it nowadays,

@monkeytassle if you haven’t already learn to love home cooking Indian food. They smashed how to cook delicious plant-based food centuries ago. My “tutor” was the excellent Madhur Jaffrey who has a great veg curry book.

Killing animals for food = bad
Killing animals for clothes, shoes, sofas, car seats, watch straps etc etc = nee bother

What happens if you don't do either? Does that make it fine?

Most vegans I know don't use anything leather and use cruelty free cosmetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back