Going traveling - age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't see why you'd have a problem. Always seems to be gov jobs knocking about. You might even settle elsewhere.

:lol:
I don't know why you're laughing

The lad should get his affairs in order, he could use that money for a house deposit or a wedding or an economical runabout instead of travelling round the worlds second rate countries eating shite food and telling everyone in his blog how great it is

When does it become unacceptable to quit your job and clear off for a year traveling?

29 in 2 months. Plenty saved, should really be buying houses and settling down now like. I guess do what you want

Unacceptable to whom?

Go for it, and don't look back.

I don't know why you're laughing

The lad should get his affairs in order, he could use that money for a house deposit or a wedding or an economical runabout instead of travelling round the worlds second rate countries eating shite food and telling everyone in his blog how great it is
:):):):)

Currently doing it at 32. I'm often the oldest in the hovels I choose to stay in but I don't mind, mostly. If you fancy it, go!

There was an American guy in a hostel I was in in Siem Reap a couple of months back telling me about how Thailand and Laos (could only make it as far as Vientiane) were during the time of the Vietnam war. He must have been going on 70. Some cracking stories.

There was an American guy in a hostel I was in in Siem Reap a couple of months back telling me about how Thailand and Laos (could only make it as far as Vientiane) were during the time of the Vietnam war. He must have been going on 70. Some cracking stories.

Class. Love chatting to folks like that while abroad,only so many times can listen to some 21 year old Aussie in a vest.

You can imagine how old I felt then if you thought you were the eldest! :lol: ( My son is 32)
There's sometimes been the odd crazy older lady in the hostels! If it makes you feel any better they are usually my favourite guests - apart from the hideous American who introduced herself by insulting me and then proceeded to know everything better than the rest of the dinner table!

There's sometimes been the odd crazy older lady in the hostels! If it makes you feel any better they are usually my favourite guests - apart from the hideous American who introduced herself by insulting me and then proceeded to know everything better than the rest of the dinner table!
I stopped in a hostel in Adelaide, a lovely Victorian place with a balcony overlooking the beach at Glenelg. Had a great time and met loads of great people, some who I ended up travelling with for most of the year.
I went back to play in a footy tournament so stayed in the same place but it had changed dramatically. First night there was an old bloke in the bunk above me and the first introduction I got was when he dropped his steaming Y Fronts from his bunk onto my shoes on the floor.:lol:
Hardly an backpackers in the place. A sure sign of a dodgy hostel in Oz is when all the residents are Australian.
I was saved by a Sunderland ex pat who put me up for the rest of the week.

I'm not sure about the crazy!

I do like hostels though, they are actually memorable as opposed to hotels which are frequently comfortable but generic, soulless and forgetable.

I'm not sure about the crazy!

I do like hostels though, they are actually memorable as opposed to hotels which are frequently comfortable but generic, souless and forgetable.

The difference I find is the type of traveller too. I don't think I have ever actually met anyone in hotels who I have really got chatting too. While in hostels everyone seems to want to get speaking and go out etc... plus you meet other travelers who are doing the same thing as you or can join you on your travels for a bit. Love it.

Sorry to (kinda) jump on this thread, but the replies are class and I'm hoping someone can give an opinion on my situation:

I'm 23, got a decentish job (on £23k) and over the next few years have good chances of promotion to the next grade. I've considered saving to travel - I have 10k from a bond but it's from parents so I'd have to keep this for a house deposit. Literally the only concern I have about travelling once I've saved is that I'll come back and not be able to find a decent job. Am I being an idiot and should I just go for it once I have the money?

You've probably got 50 years left at work given the current increases in mortality.

That's time for 5 careers let alone one. Get yourself away and see the world. You'll come back a better person, I certainly did.

My travelling also helped me get more than one job post return. As long as you do some interest things and don't just sit in a beach forb18 months getting lashed employers may well love your ability to take risks, budgeting ability, adventurism and confidence.

Now buy your ticket and piss off

When does it become unacceptable to quit your job and clear off for a year traveling?

29 in 2 months. Plenty saved, should really be buying houses and settling down now like. I guess do what you want

I worked in Africa for 3 years when I was around your age, and visited places there and Asia during that time. Not the same as travelling I know, but checking out new places over a prolonged period of time is amazing and something you've got to do; don't matter if you're 8 or 80. Just do it man, if it feels right do it!

Class. Love chatting to folks like that while abroad,only so many times can listen to some 21 year old Aussie in a vest.
Love the story's, worked with an American guy in Vietnam. Was quiet when asked if he'd been before. Told me later, and to our vn secretary that last time he was in Vietnam he was firing thousands of rounds out of a huey helicopter in 67 and 70. Had some great stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back