Going traveling - age

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't. Do what makes you happy. Travelling was the best thing I did. Would love to do it again sometime.
This. Some friends of ours quite their jobs, sold their house and all their possessions to go travelling about 4 years ago. They were early 30s at the time and quite good jobs (Teacher and some legal job) to go to Thailand, Vietnam etc etc. Apparently they are planning to come "home" this year and start afresh.

Good for them, it's not for me. I'd hate to be mid 30s and just starting out again with house, job, family etc....

Fuck third world shite grow your own weed and live in the uk the best country in the world
Bollocks is this the best country in the world. Small minded, arrogant, rule ridden, taxed to the hilt piece of shit country.
There's some cracking places in this country but it's the fuckwits who milk us dry that are the problem.

Bollocks is this the best country in the world. Small minded, arrogant, rule ridden, taxed to the hilt piece of shit country.
There's some cracking places in this country but it's the fuckwits who milk us dry that are the problem.
Plus the shite weather.

Weather makes such a difference like. Although when I lived in Sydney it was a bit of a fanny on going to work in a suit in 30+ degrees like
You never heard of A/C?
If you walk to work it's a problem. If like me you fly and drive it's nee bother at all. Shite weather is far and away the main reason I left blighty like. It's a beautiful place when the sun's out but I'd be more depressed than your average SMBer if I had to live through months of endless drizzle.

Sorry to (kinda) jump on this thread, but the replies are class and I'm hoping someone can give an opinion on my situation:

I'm 23, got a decentish job (on £23k) and over the next few years have good chances of promotion to the next grade. I've considered saving to travel - I have 10k from a bond but it's from parents so I'd have to keep this for a house deposit. Literally the only concern I have about travelling once I've saved is that I'll come back and not be able to find a decent job. Am I being an idiot and should I just go for it once I have the money?
Start saving, if you decide not to go in a few months you can still have a cracking holiday.
The civil service are generally pretty good for things like career breaks. if you don't fancy that you can always build up a load of flexi time and tag that to your leave for a month or so off.

Iran is going to be class :cool:

I'm guessing you didn't find her on a Friday night out in town?
Do you have to have a constant guide in Iran and pay for all of their expenses? Some bloke mentioned this to me a few weeks back. I'd like to go but doing it that way must cost a fortune...

Do you have to have a constant guide in Iran and pay for all of their expenses? Some bloke mentioned this to me a few weeks back. I'd like to go but doing it that way must cost a fortune...
Read the book Shantaram....bloke ends up in India on the run and hires a permanent guide...very good book, my synopsis is shite though

It seems that way, (guide, not paying all their expenses) but still sorting stuff. Didnt seem too pricey mind (if you do it as a group - ive always been anti organised stuff but this might be where its worth making an exception).

My son did around 35 countries over about 6 weeks.
That's nearly 6 countries a week, or 1 country a day nearly. No point in that.

Travelling wise Europe is expensive even as a backpacker and part of the reason I haven't done it. If you've got plenty of money, go ahead though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back