Going teetotal

Did dry January and reduced it from the usual going forward. Had a couple of blow outs, st. Patrick’s day and last weekend but I’m back on the wagon now. Trying to go until I go away on the 20th April.

Yep, one of the best things I’ve done. Healthier, wealthier and less embarrassing/regretful incidences.
Same. Not had a drink since new year, much fresher on a morning, no beer fear, lost a bit weight and feel much better. Was drinking at least a bottle of wine a night and more over the weekend.
The first two weeks was the hardest but don’t miss it at all.

One of the best things I did and the longer it goes on the more having a drink feels like something I would not like to do

I am not completely teetotal but made a decision to stop drinking like I was, and now I almost don't ever touch it. If fact I can't remember my last drink. I definately had 1 beer last summer on holiday when out for a meal. Might have had a glass of wine at Christmas possibly.

Last edited:
I’m somewhat of a problem drinker - all or nothing. I do stretches of being sober and love it - sharper, more energy, creative.

Then my monkey brain tricks me. “You know would make this feeling of happiness and contentment better? Pints.”

It’s inevitable that one of these sober stretches will remain permanent. I can’t do the moderation thing.

I've been a heavy drinker over the past 7 or 8 years and a lot of the time its had me both mentally and physically fucked, I blame a lot of it on what was my 7 days a week drinking.

I've had a massive cut down the last 12 months or so but still drink quite regular, however I went from drinking 7 nights a week in the house to only drinking 3 or 4 nights a week (its still more than id like but its better than how I was) and thats down to drinking alcohol free beer, if it wasn't for that I'd probably still drink 7 nights as I like the taste of it. A lot of people just don't get it though, always hear the "well why not just drink pop?" Well because I like the taste of beer/lager more than fanta and lemonade. This is usually only said by the weekend drinkers who go out Friday and Saturday nights and get as pissed as they possibly can.

When I go out now I always try and limit myself to 4 pints and thats it, occasionally will have a bottle or two after that if staying out longer but rarely bother now. I also prefer solo drinking now for that reason as well as easier to get carried away when with others.

I did manage 3 months without a drink at the start of last year but that was due to being on medication and I didnt really feel any better for it, but again that was probably down to the medication. A big issue for me is I've constantly got chest pain every day and the only thing that seems to get rid of it is a couple of pints, but I don't think that's a good solution in the long run and just feels like a continuous circle.

Best wishes. I've also cut right down, have to say mentally I feel better without it but I still have the odd session now and then although I often wish I hadn't bothered.

Has anyone on here done it? I do love a drink, I used to be a bit of a party animal but it all takes its toll dunnit?
I think at some point I'm gonna knock it on the head.
Good on you mate bet you save a fortune , first week or month just put the money away in a different place and count it at the end see how much you have then times it by 52 or 12 and see how many holidays you can book 👍.
I knocked it on the head completely from November 2022 to October 2023. At first it’s a buzz but it becomes where people stop asking you to go out and so on. Xmas time and all the arranged meet ups and nights out make it unsustainable for our age group.
I’m a changed man through that spell off it though and totally lost the taste for it. I’ll have a couple on a Friday night now or if out with mates and to me that’s the way to go. Before I’d be drinking say 6 pints on a Friday and possibly into double figures on the Saturday. I enjoyed every minute of it aswell, great times.

It’s not sustainable or sensible for ex drinkers to totally pack in, unless they have a problem. Drinking just a couple of on a weekend is enjoyable and no harm done. Once your getting into 5-6 pints then that’s when it gets ya
👏

Last edited:
Imagine a life without a glass of red with a nice meal or a lovely pint of stout by a roaring fire on a winters evening :(
Yeah that’s lovely obviously, I just wanna see what it’s like without that.
5+ years now for me. Sleep quality dramatically improved, no more groggy mornings. Don’t miss it at all.
That must be why you keep knocking me back when I ask if you fancy a pint :rolleyes:

Did dry January and reduced it from the usual going forward. Had a couple of blow outs, st. Patrick’s day and last weekend but I’m back on the wagon now. Trying to go until I go away on the 20th April.

I could easily do 2 or 3 weeks at a time without a drink when at home but the idea of a dry holiday is incomprehensible. I go into full blown boozing mode as soon as I get to the airport.

Drink was affecting my sleep too much and I love early mornings.

Been up since 6 this morning. by 7 I had cleared outside of anything fallen from the trees in the wind, let the chickens out and fed them, taken the dogs into the woods next door for a runaround, let in a workman and was just putting my feet up with another tea to read my book in the conservatory for a while. I live for this stuff now.

I definitely feel better for not drinking regulary.Never been a big drinker - 5-6 pints and I’m slurring. It was more drinking during the week…bottle of wine with tea etc then out at local non league game when Safc were away.Repeat for months/years and it does take its toll .
For a good few years I’ve stopped drinking in house and maybe meet up with mates once every 3 months for a few down Durham . First pint always tastes amazing .

Back