Going teetotal

Hank's patter is always stinking on these threads imo there

"more drink for me then" :rolleyes:
"I tried stopping drinking..worst two hours of my life":rolleyes:
"life's too short without me frosty jacks":rolleyes:
"you can't suddenly go cold turkey":rolleyes: as if everyone else is a raging alcoholic
He's harmless but i can see where you are coming from. I stay off these threads...just because i don't want to be seen as preaching as i don't drink anymore. It's a great pleasure for people and shouldn't be taken away from them. Just because i screwed up..doesn't mean everyone will.👍

I haven’t given up (home brewing is my main hobby so I couldn’t) but I’ve definitely cut down this year and feeling the benefit. I’ve never been a massive over-drinker anyway though.

I used to have 4 or 5 on a Friday, same on a Saturday and 2 or 3 on a Sunday. During the week only if the football is on tv. I’ve gone to 1-2 on a Friday/Saturday, none on a Sunday and I watch football on TV sober (even when it’s us). I’ll have more if I’m going on a night out although I only had 3 beers when I was out for my wife’s birthday last month (I did have 8 pints at a friend’s 40th a couple of weeks earlier).

That’s not the only thing I’ve changed (I’ve been tracking my calories/macros and being more regimented about going to the gym), but I’ve lost just under a stone since the start of January and planning to drop about another half stone before my 40th in the summer. I’m aiming for about half a pound a week.

Last edited:
Has anyone on here done it? I do love a drink, I used to be a bit of a party animal but it all takes its toll dunnit?
I think at some point I'm gonna knock it on the head.
I do 3/4 month at a time now between drinking. Don’t really miss it. Still going out still doing stuff. Clubbing is new/strange but I feel better for it v

I don't really drink at all, not against it and if the situation is right I can knock them back with the best of them. I don't understand people who get smashed a few times a week, I mean each to their own and all that but how can you enjoy it when your at it a few times a week?. I treat it like I treat having treat meals or sweets, in moderation you enjoy it more.

Has anyone on here done it? I do love a drink, I used to be a bit of a party animal but it all takes its toll dunnit?
I think at some point I'm gonna knock it on the head.
Take my hate off to anyone that can but I think I've got a few years left in the tank. How old are you ? Not that it really matters in grand scheme of things. 😂

“Well, I wanted - I've always wanted to be curious and provocative, I guess, and interesting, and interested in this kind of sparkling, you know, sapphire we all call home, you know. I always wanted to be mystified by it all - and rather fascinated with life itself. I think maybe when you drink, you're probably robbing yourself of that genuine experience, even though it appears what you're doing is getting more of it. You're getting less of it. And it takes a while, when you've had a rock on the hose like that for so long. It takes a while for the hose to be a hose again, you know, and for things to start flowing.”

Nice quote from Tom Waits on his sobriety. I think the drink almost killed him though, and it must have been tough shaking off that barfly persona.

Back