Going for a walk

Walk the dog every day but Saturdays is our big one. Normally take a can or two each and do about 8 miles or so. I love it like. We moved more out onto the country so there's loads of places to go

Just read that back. Me and our lass take a can each not the dog ha
Fosters?

I do when I’m off work. Tomorrow me and my brother will be going out and we usually just map it out as we go. No point in setting yourself a limit just do as much as you feel like doing when your out there. If you fancy going further do so, ready for home then make your way back.

I admire your attitude but I can’t relate to it

Frosty jacks

Last edited:
I genuinely wish there was a way I could get payed for walking where I wanted, would get through a silly amount of miles :D

There are actually apps that do that. But have daily caps, and takes ages to build up anything. So questionable if actually worth it. Think it takes about 6 months to get a tenner or something daft

Don't just head down the beach or obvious places
Look on maps for the old raily lines or woodland or cliff paths
Find some great stuff
i sometimes go walking along the old rail lines at south hylton to cox green as it gets me over the river onto the C2C and few weeks back i was out and started to wonder where the lines actually went to. I found loads of interesting stuff about it, there was an old station at cox green which is i believe still standing but its a house now(i may be wrong about that) and the lines closed in 1964. I saw an old OS map of the different routes and saw that the trains used the victoria viaduct and so off i went walking to see it. It was disappointing that it was all fenced off and not passable but still a worthy walk out. Surprisingly it was only de commissioned in 1991 which i thought was quite interesting.

Anyway think i went off on a tangent there 🚃🚃🚃🚋🚃. Was just trying to highlight by going for a walk you can easily find all sorts of different routes or places to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mainly along the cycle routes. Up river, along the coast, in land or up the hills. Even get in car and drive a place to go walking.

See that’s the thing mate, I’ve done that with the wife(no) and kids I’ve driven to somewhere and went for a walk. I don’t think I’ve ever just went for a walk ever. And I agree with the walkers on this I’m in the wrong
i sometimes go walking along the old rail lines at south hylton to cox green as it gets me over the river onto the C2C and few weeks back i was out and started to wonder where the lines actually went to. I found loads of interesting stuff about it, there was an old station at cox green which is i believe still standing but its a house now(i may be wrong about that) and the lines closed in 1964. I saw an old OS map of the different routes and saw that the trains used the victoria viaduct and so off i went walking to see it. It was disappointing that it was all fenced off and not passable but still a worthy walk out. Surprisingly it was only de commissioned in 1991 which i thought was quite interesting.

Anyway think i went off on a tangent there 🚃🚃🚃🚋🚃. Was just trying to highlight by going for a walk you can easily find all sorts of different routes or places to see.

Not at all mate I enjoyed your short story of a minute in the life of @Randy Bareback

Last edited:

Love it down there like

Nor its a much more civilised affair

Keeps me sane sometimes, but others it can be an absolute chore. Getting myself down recently about it actually, as everytime I do running or walking a few days in a row I get pain in my tibialis anterior (shin). Don’t know what to do to fix it.

How many of you actually just go for a walk, I’m not inclined to just put on my clothes and go for a walk but I wish I could.

At least once a week I go for a 3-4 hour walk. Typically I’d go for a couple of half hour to one hour walks another couple of times a week. I’m fortunate to live in a semi rural area with plenty of routes nearby but sometimes I just leave the house and stroll. Look and listen. Stop and think.

It’s probably helped a lot these last few months.

Only really go on walks with the family. If I'm on my own I run. The most recent one round Rainton Meadows. Been on my door step for years and last week was the first time I had been. I'm going to include it in my longer running routes.

I love my Garmin for running like. Tempted to upgrade to a Fenix
My mate lives up that way so begun meeting him on a Saturday morning to walk his dog. Area I'd never visited before but it's lovely. I can't run at the moment but there are loads of varied routes you can take, both off road and on decent paths. Plenty of hills if that's your thing.

I try and walk as much as possible. Earphones in and listen to podcasts. Try and get out as early as possible to avoid other people and generally go down the sea front. At the beginning of lockdown I discovered loads of different routes down by the river etc but tend to stick to the same ones now. Might go exploring again.

Get out virtually every day for about 30-40 mins on my dinner break. Hoy a podcast on and get some fresh air, much better than vegetating at the same desk I've sat at all morning. Also get out down the beach a few nights a week and walk from the marina along to the park and back.

It's doing my head in how mucb it's incessantly pissed down these last few weeks as I've barely been able to get out of the house.

Get out virtually every day for about 30-40 mins on my dinner break. Hoy a podcast on and get some fresh air, much better than vegetating at the same desk I've sat at all morning. Also get out down the beach a few nights a week and walk from the marina along to the park and back.

It's doing my head in how mucb it's incessantly pissed down these last few weeks as I've barely been able to get out of the house.
Same down here. Patio has been dry about twice in the last 3 months.

Quick half an hour stroll on a lunchtime usually during the working week to get away from the laptop, will have a wander with the kids before tea most nights as well. Weekends we'll usually have a walk out or me and the boy take the bikes out instead

Usually have a 3 hour stroll looking for a f***ing golf ball most sundays in the summer as well

I took up walking in the hope of recovering from some weird undiagnosed mystery illness that i was struggling with.

800 meters or so was the best I could do 18 months ago. Slowly built up to an unthinkable 5 k steps this summer. Ditched all meds the docs prescribed..... suffered for a week or two.....

I now aim for a minimum of 10 k steps a day, regularly do 17k with my personal record being 22k. I credit walking with my recovery.
What apps do you lot use?

Last edited:

Back