Getting old

Status
Not open for further replies.

51 now and I sat down the other day to jog down where the actual years have gone ...mainly to highlight which footy teams I played for and which companies I have worked for .
It was harder to remember than I thought it would be.

Done dryjanuary, in a fashion, n read a book about how/why you started drink, poor habbits etc.
Terrified me to think id been on the lash 3-7 days a week for 26 fecking year ffs!
Wait till you turn it down whenever you reverse, what the fecks that about man!:oops:

Must play 8 bastard different songs max per day

Reactions: JJH
I'm only 43 and have bid farewel to my step mam and my dad and that was s

I remember being about 4 in 1980 and listening to my dads Beatles records and thinking these are so old when really they were only 10 to 15 years old, now when I hear stuff like the Smith's or pet shop boys and stuff it seems like it's still only a few years old not 35 years ago.

Was simmilar in college I was 17 and there was a lad in my class 21 and I thought that's old.

I was born in 74 and remember being so traumatised by the end of Ring of Bright water or Tarka, can't remember which but the one with the shovel, I ran up to my mother's room but she was on the phone so I had to wait. Radio 4 was on as always and there was a news bulletin announcing John Lennon was dead. That cheered me right up and I jumped up and down on the bed.
At the time I thought Lennon was weird and the video for Imagine really disturbed me.

I was born in 74 and remember being so traumatised by the end of Ring of Bright water or Tarka, can't remember which but the one with the shovel, I ran up to my mother's room but she was on the phone so I had to wait. Radio 4 was on as always and there was a news bulletin announcing John Lennon was dead. That cheered me right up and I jumped up and down on the bed.
At the time I thought Lennon was weird and the video for Imagine really disturbed me.

I must have started typing something last night and fell asleep, just noticed the first 2 lines when you quoted me and made no sense to the rest of my post, cant even remember what I was referring to about my mam and dad😆

Just realised that we have more framed photos of deceased family members than ones who are alive.....God I hate getting old.

51 now and I sat down the other day to jog down where the actual years have gone ...mainly to highlight which footy teams I played for and which companies I have worked for .
It was harder to remember than I thought it would be.
Frightening how quick time seems to go.
Apparently there’s an explanation why when folk think time goes quicker after a certain age....the mind is focused on family/work etc with focus on the future instead of being focused on the here and now and living the actual moment

Inveresting theory. I've wondered about that before and I always put it down to the fact that, although each year is obviously the same length (barring leap years before anyone starts), as you get older each year is a lower percentage of your total time alive. So when the bairn turned 5, that year had been 20% of the total time he'd been alive. I'm now down to each year being less than 3%. I know it would all be in the mind, but I always thought that might affect how long each year feels

All those things I used to do as a young un I don't know where I got the energy from!

Is it mental? Those activities just don't excite us anymore.

On holiday with my eldest sister I am often mistaken for her daughter. I think it is about attitude as there is only 10 years between us.
My sister doesn't say anything at the time. She then tries to joke about it later. I say noooooothing. Then after a few more times she will say I should dress more appropriately for my age. Then after a couple of bottles of wine she just savages me 🤣

Getting old Isn’t bad, just don’t wish your life away, it happens so quick.
Milestones of 18, then 21, then 30, 40 and 50 come and go and before long retirement is calling your name as well as wet underpants ;)
Makes you appreciate what’s important and what’s bullshit, family and friends, fuck all the rest.

What age is old age?I am mid-50's,still in the gym 3-4 times a week,trekked for a few months in the Himalayas a year and a half ago,cardiovascular fitness is fine,i can run 5km easily.
Yeah, I'm 62 , just been in the gym this morning and to be fair I train harder than most 45 year olds ( and a good few 30 year olds ) cardio and weights. That being said it's hard to avoid injuries , spirit is willing but the ligaments are weak it seems.
Mentally speed of recall is certainly dropping a little . Used to have every word I wanted on the tip of my tongue , the odd word I have to search for now and occasionally abandon.
Professionally I'm still on my game and still in demand , currently trying to decide whether to do an intensive 5 years before I finish and go out on a high or whether that's just a vanity project and I should chill.
Strangest thing is thinking about my 5 year old granddaughter and realising seeing her graduate uni is probably 50/50 . C'est la vie..c'est la morte.💀💀:lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm 62 , just been in the gym this morning and to be fair I train harder than most 45 year olds ( and a good few 30 year olds ) cardio and weights. That being said it's hard to avoid injuries , spirit is willing but the ligaments are weak it seems.
Mentally speed of recall is certainly dropping a little . Used to have every word I wanted on the tip of my tongue , the odd word I have to search for now and occasionally abandon.
Professionally I'm still on my game and still in demand , currently trying to decide whether to do an intensive 5 years before I finish and go out on a high or whether that's just a vanity project and I should chill.
Strangest thing is thinking about my 5 year old granddaughter and realising seeing her graduate uni is probably 50/50 . C'est la vie..c'est la morte.💀💀:lol:
Sexy Skhandy😎

What age is old age?I am mid-50's,still in the gym 3-4 times a week,trekked for a few months in the Himalayas a year and a half ago,cardiovascular fitness is fine,i can run 5km easily.

It pays off if you keep active. This lady is amazing and I'm in awe of her :cool:

I’m 56 in August and it’s flew over..I could maybe retire with the pension I’ve got..that’s another dilemma though.

1980 is FORTY years ago :eek: Ehhhh???? Just feels like recent times. If we went back to 1980 and looked back 40 years from there it`s almost time for the Battle Of Britain
I had 2 cups of tea this morning. I don't usually drink tea.

I'm turning into an old man.
If 2 cups of tea makes you an old man then I must be Methuselah :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
I was on about how people say, ‘it’s no age’, when someone under 60 or so dies to a mate.
Looking back to my younger days seems long enough for me to say I’ve had a good run and I’ve got 50 to come yet.

If I woke up in the morning and was a fresh faced 20 year old I’d be quite disappointed.

It pays off if you keep active. This lady is amazing and I'm in awe of her :cool:

That is incredible and inspiring in equal measures. I've just turned 49 and I want to know that it's not all shuffling around with frames and shit later on in life and that if we make choices in lifestyle now it can be carried right through to that age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back