Getting old

I don't like it at the minute. I'm 35 but the years just seem to be flying by. Literally feels like a year or two since we had the little one but he's 6 next month and when I think that he's 1/3 of the way towards being an adult it's quite frightening.

My main thing is that I'm terrified of death. I love living, I'm not religious so I'm not sat thinking something else is coming afterwards. You know when you were a bairn and broke up for the long summer holidays, at the start I always knew that one day I'd be in bed with school back the next day, but at the start of the holidays it sort of felt like it would never come. I feel like that now, being really old / actually facing death feels like it's a lifetime away but it'll sneak up (if I'm lucky enough to get old) before I know it.

The only crumb of comfort is that I've heard people get more accepting and prepared for death as they get older, almost like it's a natural reaction as your body prepares you. My hope is that the boys are happy, healthy and standing on their own two feet so they don't desperately need me. Even then I'll be sad if any grandchildren are only young, but if the boys are fine then I'll know grandkids will be fine and maybe I'll be accepting of it. Mind, while I don't want death, I recently lost my last grandparent and for the last few years she was bed-ridden, she loved books and tele but her eyesight and hearing was going and she couldn't do either, she couldn't get out for walks, the care home was almost like her coffin, then she stopped recognising loved ones. Like everyone else, deep down, I probably do want death over that. Just hope that its many years in the future, that it comes when I've still been able to get about and enjoy life, and crucially that it's peaceful, that's the best anyone can hope for I suppose.

Fuck me, just read that back, there's a f***ing cheery post to start your Saturdays, have a goodun everyone :lol:
Pills check, whiskey check....

f***ing hell mate you're in your mid thirties ffs!

Currently working at Durham passport office. Tell you what it feels weird seeing someone's passport photo from 30 years ago then 20 years ago, 10 years ago and their current renewal photo.

You can see who's been hammering it. Sad to see really. Don't know what it is exactly but there's just something about it that makes you realise.

Comes round so fast, never give I t a thought, but sitting watching some talk show stuff with the Beastie Boys and fuck they look old.

I'm a few years younger, when did this happen? All of a sudden I'm nearly middle aged.

Old Blue, go get my gun
In a flash it just happens. The years 50 - 60 went quickly, 60 -70 galloped past, I’m almost 73 now, still like the things I liked when ai was 23. Even with bad knees, the thought of months of extra pain if they fit new ones scares me, and no driving for six weeks. I have a friend who had one, not a success, that is what getting old is like. Don’t play football and keep out of backlanes.

Comes round so fast, never give I t a thought, but sitting watching some talk show stuff with the Beastie Boys and fuck they look old.

I'm a few years younger, when did this happen? All of a sudden I'm nearly middle aged.

Old Blue, go get my gun

I don't mind it... inside every middle aged person is a 20something thinking "what the f happened"

After a particularly torrid weekend in Amsterdam i had to head straight for the pharmacy to get the morning after pill. The chemist asked me my age and I said 26. I was 37. I just forgot in that hungover state how old I actually was.
At a wake once in a pub my family had been in there all day and there was a quiz in the evening. We came second despite being so pissed that when a question came up about the year a film came out my sister said "it came out when I was 15, definitely, I was working in Soda and I only worked there that year" so I was like , great so how old are you now and we'll work it out. She couldn't remember how old she was so I thought fine, she's 5 years older than me I'll work it out that way... i couldn't remember how old i was either 🤪

I'm only 43 and have bid farewel to my step mam and my dad and that was s
It's all in your mind. I still think I'm in my 20's get a shock when people say 90's tunes are years old.
I remember being about 4 in 1980 and listening to my dads Beatles records and thinking these are so old when really they were only 10 to 15 years old, now when I hear stuff like the Smith's or pet shop boys and stuff it seems like it's still only a few years old not 35 years ago.
I still remember saying to my mate, "Can't believe you are 30, that's old as fuck!"

I was only 22 at the time, I'm now 33 :oops:
Was simmilar in college I was 17 and there was a lad in my class 21 and I thought that's old.

Last edited:
51 now and I sat down the other day to jog down where the actual years have gone ...mainly to highlight which footy teams I played for and which companies I have worked for .
It was harder to remember than I thought it would be.
Frightening how quick time seems to go.
Apparently there’s an explanation why when folk think time goes quicker after a certain age....the mind is focused on family/work etc with focus on the future instead of being focused on the here and now and living the actual moment

Last edited:

Back