Getting back out and about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same as when we were in lockdown. It's absolutely shite as well. Weather has scuppered most plans to meet mates outside.

Company struggling through this as well so expecting redundancies shortly. That is keeping me from spending anything in pubs or restaurants. Can't afford to waste the cash.

My lockdown started 2 weeks before the uk as i live in France and worked close to the Italian border near Monaco so never got the chance to see family and friends when i got back - finally got to see my grandaughter a couple of weeks ago on her 1st birthday ( first time i had seen her for nearly 9 months) saw my new grandaughter a few weeks ago when she was born. Went round to mates house last weekend for drinks and food in the garden and it felt great - other than going to the shop a few times a week and seeing people over the garden fence it felt like normality was returning. Hopefully some kind of BBQ this weekend but as of yet i have no real desire to go to the pub- little steps at a time for me as i want to continue seeing grandkids without worrying if im endangering them

Last edited:
I've been working from home throughout so life hasn't really changed for me between mon-fri but at least i can get out and do things with the bairn when i've got him over the weekend now. Hopefully attractions are allowed to open soon as he won't stop talking about going to a castle :lol:

It's strange but as things are re-opening my mood is steadily going downhill and this week has been a massive struggle. I don't think i realised the levels of complete hermit-ness i had reached prior to lockdown so, when that started way back in late March, i found it a breeze because it was my normal anyway. Get up for work, come home, watch tv, go to bed and repeat then all of a sudden doing something wasn't an option... I couldn't go anywhere and i wasn't missing out on anything because no one else was out enjoying themselves either plus i saw the bairn more. Life was actually better in lockdown. Now everyone's lives are slowly returning back to normal but my unenforced hermit lifestyle remains and it's soul-destroying.

I really get this bit. I am a single Mam to a 20 year old disabled daughter who has been off college since lockdown started, she won't be going back til September at the earliest. We have been stuck in the house for months already and because I don't drive and she won't go on buses (she has really bad anxiety about little kids/babies getting on and making a noise which she hates) we can't go anywhere even though things are opening. We live in Hylton Castle so there is nowhere to even take her for walks in her wheelchair unless we just walk round the streets which is really boring and we have already done so may times. My 11 year old lad has autism and finishes school next Friday, he has social anxiety and hates going out so have no chance of getting anywhere during the six weeks holidays. It's really hard being a single parent to 2 kids with disabilities at the best of times (their Dad hasn't even rang once since lockdown started to see how they are 🤬) but it's been just awful during this pandemic.
On top of all this one of my good friends who was always a massive support fell out with me a few weeks back for the most stupid reason and now won't have anything to do with me. I tried to sort things out with her but she wouldn't even let me phone her to talk. This has affected me so bad, I was already struggling mentally with the pandemic and being stuck at home all the time but this has just sent me over the edge. I am spending every day in tears, I just can't come to terms with her being out of our life. We went out with her all over (before the pandemic) as she had her car and had a holiday booked with her which was obviously cancelled, now we are back to not being able to go anywhere again.
What makes it worse is she was my daughters teacher at her special needs school and her and my daughter adored each other. When my daughter left school last year she stayed in touch and she became a really big part of our lives. Now she is gone from our lives and my daughter no longer see's her. It breaks my heart as she loved her so much and she doesn't understand why she doesn't come to see her anymore. It's such a crap time and I can't wait til she can go back to college in September so I can actually leave the house again.

Genuine question - Has it never not been airborne?

Colds and flu are coronaviruses, aren't they? The general consensus has always been that they're spread by airborne transmission. I always thought this was the same, hence the use of masks and screens etc.
They’re suggesting it lingers in the air for a significant amount of time as opposed to being transmitted through people coughing on each other.

I've been working from home throughout so life hasn't really changed for me between mon-fri but at least i can get out and do things with the bairn when i've got him over the weekend now. Hopefully attractions are allowed to open soon as he won't stop talking about going to a castle :lol:

It's strange but as things are re-opening my mood is steadily going downhill and this week has been a massive struggle. I don't think i realised the levels of complete hermit-ness i had reached prior to lockdown so, when that started way back in late March, i found it a breeze because it was my normal anyway. Get up for work, come home, watch tv, go to bed and repeat then all of a sudden doing something wasn't an option... I couldn't go anywhere and i wasn't missing out on anything because no one else was out enjoying themselves either plus i saw the bairn more. Life was actually better in lockdown. Now everyone's lives are slowly returning back to normal but my unenforced hermit lifestyle remains and it's soul-destroying.
Kind of know what you mean. Things feel a bit weird for me too now. It's confusing as much as anything else.

Genuine question - Has it never not been airborne?

Colds and flu are coronaviruses, aren't they? The general consensus has always been that they're spread by airborne transmission. I always thought this was the same, hence the use of masks and screens etc.
Think the poster has been watching a repeat

I really get this bit. I am a single Mam to a 20 year old disabled daughter who has been off college since lockdown started, she won't be going back til September at the earliest. We have been stuck in the house for months already and because I don't drive and she won't go on buses (she has really bad anxiety about little kids/babies getting on and making a noise which she hates) we can't go anywhere even though things are opening. We live in Hylton Castle so there is nowhere to even take her for walks in her wheelchair unless we just walk round the streets which is really boring and we have already done so may times. My 11 year old lad has autism and finishes school next Friday, he has social anxiety and hates going out so have no chance of getting anywhere during the six weeks holidays. It's really hard being a single parent to 2 kids with disabilities at the best of times (their Dad hasn't even rang once since lockdown started to see how they are 🤬) but it's been just awful during this pandemic.
On top of all this one of my good friends who was always a massive support fell out with me a few weeks back for the most stupid reason and now won't have anything to do with me. I tried to sort things out with her but she wouldn't even let me phone her to talk. This has affected me so bad, I was already struggling mentally with the pandemic and being stuck at home all the time but this has just sent me over the edge. I am spending every day in tears, I just can't come to terms with her being out of our life. We went out with her all over (before the pandemic) as she had her car and had a holiday booked with her which was obviously cancelled, now we are back to not being able to go anywhere again.
What makes it worse is she was my daughters teacher at her special needs school and her and my daughter adored each other. When my daughter left school last year she stayed in touch and she became a really big part of our lives. Now she is gone from our lives and my daughter no longer see's her. It breaks my heart as she loved her so much and she doesn't understand why she doesn't come to see her anymore. It's such a crap time and I can't wait til she can go back to college in September so I can actually leave the house again.
Really sorry to hear this. Have you considered writing your friend a letter?

Tbh i openly flouted lockdown and went out a lot more than just once a day but I’m not going into a restaurant or pub which will feel more like a science lab than a licensed establishment for a long long time. Rishi Sunak is deluded thinking we will be all wining and dining in August. I go out to relax not getting barked at by staff, having screens between tables, pointless labels and signs all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back