Getting a cat declawed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our two cats are six (brother and sister). They go out early on a morning, sleep most of the day and come in and out during the evening before coming in before bedtime. They claw the garden fence and they have a scratching pole in the house. they claw my pillows or the linen basket if I don't get up when they want me up

I get a paw to the face, no claws involved :lol:

I know what you mean, but some breeds of cats are unsuitable to living outdoors for lengths of time. WE have long-haired persians, and their hair alone means it would be a nightmare to let them out - they'd come back a mess every day.
Because of this, the urge to go out and roam has been bred out of them. Ours somewhat like the garden, but get spooked very easily and run back in the house.
They have the whole house to play in - its not a bad arrangemet.
I rescued a long haired cat a while ago as his owners had moved and left him. Poor bugger was eating the hedgehog food I put out. As he'd been living rough his coat was a total mess and I had to take him to a vets to be shaved from the neck down. However he was used to being out and didn't like being shut in overnight like my other cats. So I let him do his own thing and he was more than happy.

I rescued a long haired cat a while ago as his owners had moved and left him. Poor bugger was eating the hedgehog food I put out. As he'd been living rough his coat was a total mess and I had to take him to a vets to be shaved from the neck down. However he was used to being out and didn't like being shut in overnight like my other cats. So I let him do his own thing and he was more than happy.

This. All day long, it's the best advice I could ever have or give about a cat. Just them be a cat. If they claw the furniture, provide an alternative, preferably more than one. You make the cat feel happier and your furniture remains safe. I've had three cats, always had a leather settee and apart from the first initial attempts by the cat to own it, never had an issue. Can't say the same about the wallpaper under the bedroom window mind, that's shredded. I'll just put a new bit up once it's completely destroyed and let the cat start over.

My cat has the outhouse kitted out to live in. Two nights ago she jumped in my bedroom window and decided to kip next to me on the bed. Usually not allowed but I was half asleep so I allowed it. Got up the next morning and she had fucked off but not before pissing all over my dressing gown. What a feeling hoying your dressing gown on and wondering why it's soaked and you now stink of cat piss.

I'm going to chop her bladder off to rectify this issue.
Mine had a piss in its basket in the car on the way to the vets last week. Yes I became That Woman sitting in a busy waiting room surrounded by an aura of cat piss.

Mine had a piss in its basket in the car on the way to the vets last week. Yes I became That Woman sitting in a busy waiting room surrounded by an aura of cat piss.
Snap. Took my 15 year old cat to the vets this week and when I tipped him out of the carrier I also poured half a pint of pee onto the vet's counter. Poor Alf hasn't been to the vets for years and I had no idea he was so stressed. To make matters worse he stood there peeing too. No idea where it all came from. So I left stinking of piss.
*Good news is Alf's fine. :lol:

:eek: bloody hell man, you did it yourself?
It's a piece of cake- buy some clippers in the local pet shop & just cut off about 3 to 4mm straight across.
I do ours every few months as he's getting old - otherwise they get too long & the poor beast sounds like he's clipping around in high heels

http://pawpost.co.uk/blog/blog/2016/01/15/declawing-everything-you-need-to-know/

£20000 fine or up to a year in prison in UK. And it sounds horrific.
You don't need to declaw them....
Just trim the fuckers

Last edited:
It's a piece of cake- buy some clippers in the local pet shop & just cut off about 3 to 4mm straight across.
I do ours every few months as he's getting old - otherwise they get too long & the poor beast sounds like he's clipping around in high heels

You don't need to declaw them....
Just trim the fuckers

yep. job done.

I used to find the claw shells all over in the carpet when I had mine.

Also you can get spray to spray on furniture that supposed to stop them clawing. I never tried it like as didn't need to. As I mentioned earlier he only used to scrat the bottom stairs. Sometimes his post

Mine actually does come in if she's in garden. She actually thinks she's a dog sometimes will follow me to the shop or to pub then I will need to try put her in or she will follow me all the way to pub.
Our cat was like this when we found him abandoned in our sons neighbours garden. His mother was feral. We got him to the vet and had him checked, vet said if he made it for 48 hours he'd be fine. Our lass bottle fed him for three weeks. He's been brought up with our jack Russell and mini schnauzer and I'm convinced he thinks he's a dog. If he's outside he comes in when you call him, he chases a ball and our lass takes him for walks with the dogs. He can't bark so he jumps at the door when anyone comes. It's very very weird.
Logon or register to see this image

Our cat was like this when we found him abandoned in our sons neighbours garden. His mother was feral. We got him to the vet and had him checked, vet said if he made it for 48 hours he'd be fine. Our lass bottle fed him for three weeks. He's been brought up with our jack Russell and mini schnauzer and I'm convinced he thinks he's a dog. If he's outside he comes in when you call him, he chases a ball and our lass takes him for walks with the dogs. He can't bark so he jumps at the door when anyone comes. It's very very weird.
Logon or register to see this image
Lovely story. Our two were rescue cats from tiny babies and brought up with dogs. They meow at the back door to go for a walk

Lovely story. Our two were rescue cats from tiny babies and brought up with dogs. They meow at the back door to go for a walk
Up until this point we'd never had a cat so I didn't quite know what to expect, but I love him to bits he's a class act. Has the dogs lives though.:lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back