Getting a cat declawed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obviously Indoor cats are more prone to being obese as the article and rspca says but you can account for that by giving them indoor exercise. The reason lifespan is so much lower is down to accidents, wildlife (e.g. foxes) and outdoor diseases that indoor cats won't come across.

You can disagree if you want but those are the averages, anyway. It's like dogs - they all need exercise but some breeds need more than others as they are bred to have more energy or have more hunting instinct. Same with cats, they're not all the same.

Poor cat always looking outside longing to get out, life sentence from birth.

You need some cat mental health awareness training :eek:

Valium for all indoor cats!

Aren't there also likely to be other factors such as the types of breeds typically kept as indoor cats having longer life expectancy anyway? A lot of the decorative breeds, the Burmese, Persians etc are quite long lived iirc?
Not sure if Persians are long lived, due to their potential breathing problems?

Many proper breeds will probably has a lower life expectancy due to breed restrictions, like wth dogs I imagine. But possibly, yes.

Poor cat always looking outside longing to get out, life sentence from birth.

You need some cat mental health awareness training :eek:

Valium for all indoor cats!
She gets out. She just doesn't fancy staying out. She'll happily watch insets crawling across the garden and go back to sleep, the lazy cow.

Not sure if Persians are long lived, due to their potential breathing problems?

Many proper breeds will probably has a lower life expectancy due to breed restrictions, like wth dogs I imagine. But possibly, yes.

She gets out. She just doesn't fancy staying out. She'll happily watch insets crawling across the garden and go back to sleep, the lazy cow.

Was just kidding haha

I don't get this whole house cat thing personally. Surely that's on the same track as declawing the thing, albeit less drastic?

Cats are supposed to be outside hunters not locked indoors unable to go out and claim their territory. Surely you're denying the cat its instinctive lifestyle purely to keep it as a vanity project.
But years of domestication has made it so they can stay in. By that theory mice, Guinea pigs, rabbits dogs even it's cruel

I have a cat, dog, and a kid. They all annoy me.

Is your response to that annoyance to mutilate the offender then? If mutilation is the first solution you come up with if your cat is clawing the furniture what you need is a crack in the mouth for being a thick, selfish bastard and the cat needs somewhere else to live. I know this is a bit radical compared to mutilation but how about trying to understand why and what the cat is actually doing. Which is de-sheathing it's claws the way a snake sheds it's skin but it's also marking it's territory. Cats have scent glands in their paws and it's perfectly normal and natural behavior for them. What isn't normal and natural is de-clawing them, that's being a fucked up human.

I've had two cats for years and I just let them get on with being cats and no matter how much they've annoyed me, I wouldn't dream of mutilating them as a response. That is seriously fucked up.

I don't get this whole house cat thing personally. Surely that's on the same track as declawing the thing, albeit less drastic?

Cats are supposed to be outside hunters not locked indoors unable to go out and claim their territory. Surely you're denying the cat its instinctive lifestyle purely to keep it as a vanity project.

My cats stay in all day if I'm at work as I don't like them not being able to get back in the house if they get freaked. TBF, both of them are happy as pigs in shit spending the day in the warm asleep when it's cold and pissing down outside. If they want to go out, they'll tell me and I'll open the door for them. You can't seriously be comparing a cat being in a house with de-clawing it like, that's f***ing stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your response to that annoyance to mutilate the offender then? If mutilation is the first solution you come up with if your cat is clawing the furniture what you need is a crack in the mouth for being a thick, selfish bastard and the cat needs somewhere else to live. I know this is a bit radical compared to mutilation but how about trying to understand why and what the cat is actually doing. Which is de-sheathing it's claws the way a snake sheds it's skin but it's also marking it's territory. Cats have scent glands in their paws and it's perfectly normal and natural behavior for them. What isn't normal and natural is de-clawing them, that's being a fucked up human.

I've had two cats for years and I just let them get on with being cats and no matter how much they've annoyed me, I wouldn't dream of mutilating them as a response. That is seriously fucked up.

My cats stay in all day if I'm at work as I don't like them not being able to get back in the house if they get freaked. TBF, both of them are happy as pigs in shit spending the day in the warm asleep when it's cold and pissing down outside. If they want to go out, they'll tell me and I'll open the door for them. You can't seriously be comparing a cat being in a house with de-clawing it like, that's f***ing stupid.
I removed my kid's fingers when he wouldn't stop picking his nose.

All of our cats are fully clawed - an integral part of our home defence strategy - esp as our hounds approach would be to lick invaders to death while begging for food

Mind, we're getting the vet around on Sunday to cut the nails for 2 of our canaries

A few years back - in my absence - the lass got some no-mark in to do it - a real hack job - left one of them with only 9 toes !

I don't even have a cat flap just leave the small utility room window open. Cat will just come and go as she pleases through the window.

Only time I'll close is if it's late at night and she's in or else I'll be woken up at 3am and have to chase her round the house while she house a mouse in mouth growling.

Don't even have a litter tray indoors she just goes outside, clever little thing

You seem to have anger issues. All this stroking pussies to relieve stress doesn't seem to be working.

On the one hand you rant on about natural behaviour, then condone keeping them locked up indoors all day long, and even assuming you know their feelings. YOU decide to keep them indoors all day long, because YOU think they get freaked. How about letting them choose?

Blokes who like cats are weirdos. It's science.

You seem to have anger issues. All this stroking pussies to relieve stress doesn't seem to be working.

On the one hand you rant on about natural behaviour, then condone keeping them locked up indoors all day long, and even assuming you know their feelings. YOU decide to keep them indoors all day long, because YOU think they get freaked. How about letting them choose?

You got sensitivity issues or just trying to be funny and failing dismally? I'm not ranting. I'm just not talking complete shit like you are and if my strong feelings and response regarding mutilation of an animal for reasons of human vanity offend you, I think then that you're too stupid to communicate with tbh.

My cats aren't locked up at all, especially when I'm in the house. Back door is open all day as it is now and both cats are happy in the house. One asleep, one looking out the window. If they're out the house when I go out it's because they want to be and then they stay out. I don't have a choice, I have a preference. It's not like they'll respond instantly to their name being called out anyways and come trotting back into the house. They're not dogs.

One of my cats happens to be either feral or dumped as a kitten as she got found on a diary farm with the farm Jack Russell trying to eat her. She won't move from a radiator the second it gets warm like, fuck going outside. I understand the mentality of my two cats pretty well thanks, certainly better than someone who assumes a cat must spend it's day outside and it's cruel not to let them. I'll let my cats decide thanks and at the minute with the back door open, both of them are in the house as it's raining outside and they aren't thick as they've worked out for themselves it's a bit more comfortable to be asleep in the house rather than out in the rain.

Aye, trolls tend to have that effect.

You got sensitivity issues or just trying to be funny and failing dismally? I'm not ranting. I'm just not talking complete shit like you are and if my strong feelings and response regarding mutilation of an animal for reasons of human vanity offend you, I think then that you're too stupid to communicate with tbh.

My cats aren't locked up at all, especially when I'm in the house. Back door is open all day as it is now and both cats are happy in the house. One asleep, one looking out the window. If they're out the house when I go out it's because they want to be and then they stay out. I don't have a choice, I have a preference. It's not like they'll respond instantly to their name being called out anyways and come trotting back into the house. They're not dogs.

One of my cats happens to be either feral or dumped as a kitten as she got found on a diary farm with the farm Jack Russell trying to eat her. She won't move from a radiator the second it gets warm like, fuck going outside. I understand the mentality of my two cats pretty well thanks, certainly better than someone who assumes a cat must spend it's day outside and it's cruel not to let them. I'll let my cats decide thanks and at the minute with the back door open, both of them are in the house as it's raining outside and they aren't thick as they've worked out for themselves it's a bit more comfortable to be asleep in the house rather than out in the rain.

Mine actually does come in if she's in garden. She actually thinks she's a dog sometimes will follow me to the shop or to pub then I will need to try put her in or she will follow me all the way to pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back