I imagine they were like this:
Logon or register to see this image

or this:

yes as its nothing new
Look at Brian Mills which was the early form of mail order shopping
pile of bricks now

Aye,

I'm absolutely sick of ordering stuff online and being promised a delivery date only for the item to be delivered the day BEFORE or the day after, or waiting in all day after being given a delivery slot of 0800 to 1800 only for it to be delivered at 2050 or not turning up at all! :evil:

na...but i did open it

Were you the caretaker holding the keys? ;)

SMELLS TOO

WHERES THAT

Fullwell mate according to the Fullwell step :D

It's better than it was before but the parking charges seem to have killed it. Footfall seems lower since the charges started and easier to find a space to park now. Most of the shops there have a branch at Team Valley with ample free parking, or the Galleries is just a few minutes further. I think people with cars must be going elsewhere.

There's always people standing in the middle with clipboards/ipads trying to sell you gas and electric or charities or Avon or whatever as well.

Used to get them in Sunderland High Street, I'd pass at least one of them every day. The patter would go soething like this:

Monday
Hipster: Can I ask you who your gas and electricity provider is sir?
Me: Eon.
Hipster: Wow, that's a coincidence. Can I interest you in...
Me: No fuck off, I'm on my way to get pissed!

Wednesday
Me: Scottish Power.

Thursday
Me: British Gas.

Friday
Hipster: Can I ask you.... OK, I'll fuck off.

Last edited:
Should close it. Killing NE town centres.

On-line shopping is doing that. Town centres need to follow the Dutch model - go to Alkmaar and there's loads of small independant shops, bars, restaurants. The big chains need to understand that most young people buy everything online now.

On-line shopping is doing that. Town centres need to follow the Dutch model - go to Alkmaar and there's loads of small independant shops, bars, restaurants. The big chains need to understand that most young people buy everything online now.
It's a contributory factor of course but successful cities still have large department stores, eg:John Lewis, M&S, House of Fraser.

The eternal question is how do we attract people back to the centres? Perhaps it's all over for them?
Or do we provide something else, but what is that something else?

I imagine they were like this:

or this:

Aye,

I'm absolutely sick of ordering stuff online and being promised a delivery date only for the item to be delivered the day BEFORE or the day after, or waiting in all day after being given a delivery slot of 0800 to 1800 only for it to be delivered at 2050 or not turning up at all! :evil:

Were you the caretaker holding the keys? ;)

Fullwell mate according to the Fullwell step :D

Used to get them in Sunderland High Street, I'd pass at least one of them every day. The patter would go soething like this:

Monday
Me: Eon.

Wednesday
Me: Scottish Power.

Thursday
Me: British Gas.

Friday
Hipster: Can I ask you.... OK, I'll fuck off.
You like your drink then!

Was passing through there yesterday. People on here moan about Sunderland City Centre and empty shop units or excess charity shops, but I haven't quite seen anything like there.

Wedged between the pull of the Metro Centre and Newcastle, Gateshead's town centre literally has no purpose at all. For all they have jumped on the "Newcastle-Gateshead" bandwagon, allowing their own quayside to get passed off as Newcastle anyway... they've gained absolutely nothing from such integration by their own redundancy.

For all the negative things people have to say about Sunderland, we continue to fight for our own identity and purpose as a city. Whilst the influence of Newcastle is a challenge to the city's development, I don't believe we have to be fatalistically subordinate to them forever.
Apologise to the ‘Heed’ the greatest place on Earth!

I used to work in the centre, it’s absolutely horrible. Is that ludicrous black statue of the thing that looks like a Mohican having a shit still there?

The Metrocentre was like that. The Med bit had little independent shops and restaurants in like a tapas bar, a Chinese restaurant, a French cafe and so on. They ripped all of that out and filled it with chain places like Bella Italia, Five Guys, TGI Friday etc. :neutral:

The Metrocentre was like that. The Med bit had little independent shops and restaurants in like a tapas bar, a Chinese restaurant, a French cafe and so on. They ripped all of that out and filled it with chain places like Bella Italia, Five Guys, TGI Friday etc. :neutral:
Yes, people like brands. They know what they are going to get.

Unfortunately this!

You want to put what was the biggest shopping centre in Europe, in gateshead High St? :lol:
I was suggesting NOT building The Metro centre and improving the town centre instead. Maybe the council simply decided that that was too risky and wouldn't compete with what is North of the river.

Things are now too far gone for Gateshead. They would be better to cut their losses and demolish most of the crud on the High street.

Better to make it apartments and hotels that can service Newcastle.

Like I say Gateshead is now simply a suburb of Newcastle.

Next time a Gateshead mag tries to take the piss by claiming Eldon square is better than the Bridges I can reply with the ultimate put down.

I disagree, it's more rubbish from you as usual.

Sunderland was a large town very much like Gateshead, we were just fortunate to be granted city status. Newcastle has been a city for nearly a millennium with entrenched political, economic and regional influence. In this light, from the early 1990s I'd say Sunderland and Gateshead had very similar starting points to the type of area they both were.

Both were large, northern, post-industrial towns. For all Gateshead have had ample more investment than Sunderland in their quayside and the Metro-Centre, they have nothing to show for it as an area itself, but to exist as a de-facto suburb of Newcastle.

I disagree, it's more rubbish from you as usual.

Sunderland was a large town very much like Gateshead, we were just fortunate to be granted city status. Newcastle has been a city for nearly a millennium with entrenched political, economic and regional influence. In this light, from the early 1990s I'd say Sunderland and Gateshead had very similar starting points to the type of area they both were.

Both were large, northern, post-industrial towns. For all Gateshead have had ample more investment than Sunderland in their quayside and the Metro-Centre, they have nothing to show for it as an area itself, but to exist as a de-facto suburb of Newcastle.

Newcastle was granted city status in the 1880's / 1890's

Newcastle was granted city status in the 1880's / 1890's

That doesn't change its historical position over the region at all. It was a seat of political power and influence for centuries.

It doesnt, just pointing out thay havent been a city for a millenium

Interesting, I didn't know that. I assumed its status was entrenched given it has had a cathedral since 1091, but I assume now that was just a long standing church which was not given its status until the 19th century.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I assumed its status was entrenched given it has had a cathedral since 1091, but I assume now that was just a long standing church which was not given its status until the 19th century.

Yeah, St Nicks only got cathedral status around the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back