Gareth Bale at Real Madrid

I'm the first to defend footballers eyebrows clubs try and shaft them but in not sure he's as innocent as he's made out to be.

Iirc the problems between him and Zidane started because he'd been injured most of the season when Zidane took over. Zidane changed the formation to get the best out of Isco and Ronaldo and they went on a brilliant run to win the league and Bale didn't fit in the new system when fit so was told he could leave.

Think there's a perception that he's barely made any effort for Real since then and had had lots of injuries but always kept himself fit for Wales which pissed the club off. And he's fanned the flames with the 'Wales, golf, Madrid' banner, pretending to be asleep on the bench, yawning and playing I-Spy during games. Bearing in mind he's been there 7 years and has made no effort to integrate with his team mates (I get the late night thing but he spends most of his time playing golf and remember the stories from Reidy's time and the importance of team spirit).

Real said he could go to China for free last summer then pulled out when they realised they could probably get a fee for him. He's now saying few categorically won't leave and will see out the last 2 years of his contract even if another top club comes in for him.

No doubt he's been treated poorly but he's no innocent victim and no doubt we'd be pissed off if a player behaved the way he did. He's behaved far worse than Ozil for example but he gets a load of shit.
This. Good post.

I suppose many of us on here would stick around playing golf and training for 600 grand a week.
Having said that I think the bloke is a buffoon and a bellend.

Going completely left field and dark, I'm surprised, given how much this is costing Madrid, an "accident" hasn't befell him.. Or have I seen too many mafia filums. :eek:

He can speak the language. That's another one of the myths perpetuated about him to point the blame his way. He has teammates have confirmed this.

How do you know he's not working on other goals outside of football by the way?

It sounds like you're projecting you're own issues onto him.
Where is your evidence of him being able to competently speak Spanish? Everything I’ve read - team mates included suggest he hasn’t made much of an effort.
I don’t know what he is or isn’t working on outside of football, he may surprise me however when I compare his outlook and attitude to that of say Jermaine Defoe I know who I respect more.

Just think he comes across as a bit of a Rodwell, they are both happy to live like retired blokes hanging around metroland/ the golf course whilst being paid a small fortune to do so.
Maybe his purpose is to play golf for two years whilst picking up £65m.

I'm not sure I'd regret that in time. He loves his gold and there's no pressure on him whilst playing. Nobody booing him when he walks down the fairway.

Yup, I know what I would do.
I wouldn’t and plenty others wouldn’t.
If your main purpose in life is to do what you want - sit on your backside, play golf etc. then you will lead a pretty unfulfilled existence.

Last edited:
Where is your evidence of him being able to competently speak Spanish? Everything I’ve read - team mates included suggest he hasn’t made much of an effort.
I don’t know what he is or isn’t working on outside of football, he may surprise me however when I compare his outlook and attitude to that of say Jermaine Defoe I know who I respect more.

Just think he comes across as a bit of a Rodwell, they are both happy to live like retired blokes hanging around metroland/ the golf course whilst being paid a small fortune to do so.

I wouldn’t and plenty others wouldn’t.
If your main purpose in life is to do what you want - sit on your backside, play golf etc. then you will lead a pretty unfulfilled existence.

Atletico Madrid's Saul Niguez Says He and Gareth Bale Speak in Spanish

One of his teammates and an opposition player pointing out that he can speak Spanish.

The sad thing is that he’s done some good things for Madrid. The overhead in the CL final for example but he’ll not be remembered for those things. Wasted his talent in my opinion. Partly due to managers decisions and injuries but some of that has got to come down to personal greed as well

Yes he will.

In 50 years time if bale is remembered for 1 thing it will be overhead kick v pool

It’s obvious Zidane doesn’t rate him and it’s been reported today Bale will see out the remaining 2 years of his contract. The guy is worth millions and millions, would you not want to spend a couple of the last two years of your footballing life actually playing. He may not get the £600K a week but if you (and generations of your family) were set for life, would you not just press for a move to a top European club (no disrespect but not China) and prove you still have it. His banner said (I think) Wales-Golf-Madrid, it should say Money-Money-Money.

He might be lazy, not enjoying playing and might really love living in Spain.
Yes he will.

In 50 years time if bale is remembered for 1 thing it will be overhead kick v pool

Been a big game player for them tbf.

He may not be innocent but he's given Real the same type of shit dished out to him, and good luck to him. Real had the opportunity to get shot and pulled the plug. I've got zero sympathy for Real and their bleating.

Wasted talent ,will have a few regrets when he’s much older and wiser

I don't really understand this view.

He's won 4 Champions Leagues, scoring in 2 of them, including one of the best ever Champions League goals. I just don't see him regretting not joining Man United and helping them get back to 3rd in the league and qualifying for the Champions a league Knock out stages.

Revenge is the worst reason to do anything in life.
He has the rest of his life to play golf. If he has an ounce of integrity he will regret wasting the final years of his career in the name of greed or revenge. He’ll have the best part of 50 years to deal with the fact that the best years of his life are behind him and that nothing he can do again will better his time as a footballer.

Do agree with your first sentence.

Couldn't disagree more.

I pretty much do whatever I like in life and don't do anything I don't like.

Go where I want, when I want and don't, if I don't want and my life is as fulfilling as I want it to be.

I don't want for anything and I work when it suits me.

I don't really understand this view.

He's won 4 Champions Leagues, scoring in 2 of them, including one of the best ever Champions League goals. I just don't see him regretting not joining Man United and helping them get back to 3rd in the league and qualifying for the Champions a league Knock out stages.
Most people don’t ever stop having targets, goals and ambitions. What you are effectively saying is ‘he’s completed life’ so can sit back and put his feet up and look back on what he’s achieved In his mid twenties for the next 50 years. Who would want that?

Most people don’t ever stop having targets, goals and ambitions. What you are effectively saying is ‘he’s completed life’ so can sit back and put his feet up and look back on what he’s achieved In his mid twenties for the next 50 years. Who would want that?

I'm not suggesting that at all. He's reached the pinnacle in football though and I've not seen any offers coming in for him where he can play at the absolute elite level.

You've somehow decided that he can't have ambitions separate from football. Why can't football just be a job to him whilst he pursues other interests and goals?

I'm not suggesting that at all. He's reached the pinnacle in football though and I've not seen any offers coming in for him where he can play at the absolute elite level.

You've somehow decided that he can't have ambitions separate from football. Why can't football just be a job to him whilst he pursues other interests and goals?
It can be and I hope he does follow other goals and ambitions later in life. I still think he’s a prize bellend for sitting on a bumper contract - taking and not giving when he could easily go and do something else - make use of his talents. Try and fail, try and succeed - basically work for his living and not be a fraud to himself.

Back