Gareth Bale at Real Madrid

He is/was an excellent footballer.

I wonder if he’s just fallen out of love with the game. He’s done the lot really at club level.

He should just retire from club football and play for Wales every couple of months.

It's a revenge thing. He thinks Zidane treated him like shit and will still have one more move in him by time he runs them down for every last penny. So he has to spent eighteen months being paid £500k a week to play golf and playing for Wales? Not the worst life.

Oh, and he's won the lot in Spain already, so.
Revenge is the worst reason to do anything in life.
He has the rest of his life to play golf. If he has an ounce of integrity he will regret wasting the final years of his career in the name of greed or revenge. He’ll have the best part of 50 years to deal with the fact that the best years of his life are behind him and that nothing he can do again will better his time as a footballer.

Fuck them. Zidane constantly hanging him out to dry.
He’s making a stand and it’s clearly a pissing contest at this stage. Good for him.
Revenge is the worst reason to do anything in life.
He has the rest of his life to play golf. If he has an ounce of integrity he will regret wasting the final years of his career in the name of greed or revenge. He’ll have the best part of 50 years to deal with the fact that the best years of his life are behind him and that nothing he can do again will better his time as a footballer.
I’m sure he’ll be fine whilst polishing his 4 champions league medals.

Last edited:
Hes not arsed about footy and has a golf course outside his house. Highly doubt he gives a shit

may regret it in 20 year like

Aye, this tbh. He's getting payed million to live in the sun and play golf. Once it's over he may well wish he'd moved on to play, also may not give a fuck too. Seems for a lot of modern footy players it's a job, years back it was a privilege and the way of not having to do a hard manual labour job.

The way he’s been treated by the club, their fans and the press I’d be tempted to take the piss and sit it out. I don’t know how Zidane doesn’t rate him, he’s still a fantastic footballer. Even after scoring what was one of the greatest goals in champions league finals they still treated him like shit.

The biggest source of happiness/ contentment in life is purpose not money - he is sacrificing this for money (when he’s already got more than he needs) during his prime. Wasting his life and talent - he will regret this in time.

You're making an assumption that he sees anything in football as purpose anymore.

He's won everything, all he can do is realistically repeat something. Unless he moved to 1 of about 4 clubs, he'd never reach the heights he already has again.

I think he's fallen out of love with the game. He peaked at Madrid and was still not good enough for their ridiculous fans because they expected Ronaldo Mk II. Then along came Zidane and has been a twat with him. Real accepted a bid from a club in China last summer and he agreed to the move only for Madrid to change their mind and pull the plug on the deal. Now they're trying to make Bale out to be the bad guy again.

We are applying our morals and ethics onto a total stranger.

If I worked for a company who didn’t appreciate me despite my best efforts I could wait for redundancy or apply for new jobs.

But my kids might be settled and it’d be an upheaval to change routines.

Did you really just compare Bale with Rodwell?

It's a fair comparison, just on different level.

Rodwell had "fallen out of love with football", he had talent but no interest or drive to put that to best use.

Seems Bale is in a similar situation but on 10 times the wages and with 10 times the talent.

It's a fair comparison, just on different level.

Rodwell had "fallen out of love with football", he had talent but no interest or drive to put that to best use.

Seems Bale is in a similar situation but on 10 times the wages and with 10 times the talent.
It’s on a mentally different level. As far as I can tell, Bale has always been available to play and never hidden from the ball.

You're making an assumption that he sees anything in football as purpose anymore.

He's won everything, all he can do is realistically repeat something. Unless he moved to 1 of about 4 clubs, he'd never reach the heights he already has again.

I think he's fallen out of love with the game. He peaked at Madrid and was still not good enough for their ridiculous fans because they expected Ronaldo Mk II. Then along came Zidane and has been a twat with him. Real accepted a bid from a club in China last summer and he agreed to the move only for Madrid to change their mind and pull the plug on the deal. Now they're trying to make Bale out to be the bad guy again.
My heart bleeds for him. If he’s prepared to sit on his backside when he could be working on achieving other goals then I don’t believe he’s got it in him to find a new or more meaningful purpose later in life. How long has he been in Spain? Still can’t speak the language.
Fuck them. Zidane constantly hanging him out to dry.
He’s making a stand and it’s clearly a pissing contest at this stage. Good for him.

I’m sure he’ll be fine whilst polishing his 4 champions league medals.
50 years is a long time to spend thinking ‘I used to be somebody’.

Last edited:
100% this. If Real want rid so much, they should offer to pay up his contract
Of course it's not his fault he was offered the contract but surely you'd want to play for the next couple of years rather than sit on the bench or in the stand. He's the forgotten man of football. I'd rather play every week for 150k than sit on my arse for 600k. He's set up for life anyway.

It’s on a mentally different level. As far as I can tell, Bale has always been available to play and never hidden from the ball.

I don't think they're comparable at all. Bale has been fucked around by the club for a few years now.
Of course it's not his fault he was offered the contract but surely you'd want to play for the next couple of years rather than sit on the bench or in the stand. He's the forgotten man of football. I'd rather play every week for 150k than sit on my arse for 600k. He's set up for life anyway.

He's still in the prime of his career age wise, why on earth should he let Madrid off the hook here? They're the ones who offered the contract and they're the ones acting like a child again. He should stand his ground and they can take the hit if they really want him away.

My heart bleeds for him. If he’s prepared to sit on his backside when he could be working on achieving other goals then I don’t believe he’s got it in him to find a new or more meaningful purpose later in life. How long has he been in Spain? Still can’t speak the language.

50 years is a long time to spend thinking ‘I used to be somebody’.

He can speak the language. That's another one of the myths perpetuated about him to point the blame his way. He has teammates have confirmed this.

How do you know he's not working on other goals outside of football by the way?

It sounds like you're projecting you're own issues onto him.

We are applying our morals and ethics onto a total stranger.

If I worked for a company who didn’t appreciate me despite my best efforts I could wait for redundancy or apply for new jobs.

But my kids might be settled and it’d be an upheaval to change routines.
It's a bit different though. He knows he'll see out another year or two on a golf course in the sun while being paid tens of millions for it. You or me would be 9-5 every day for the next god knows how long.

Back