From detached to a semi and the noise next door

Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that because the potential neighbour is an old biddy that she’ll be ideal cos she won’t have parties. From my experience they tend to be deaf as a post and put the telly on full blast all night as they fall asleep on the settee. Glad I live in a detached now!

I’d rather live next to a young un, at least they’ll only keep you up at weekends, with the oldies it’s almost every night and on the rare occasion they don’t have the telly on volume 100 you end up not being able to sleep cos you’re worrying that they’re deed.
Mate I’ve been there , as soon as Mrs Doubtfire snuffed it a young couple where in. Decent enough but fuck me what a difference.

Party Walls were 9” solid for years , often not taken up into the loft.
They moved over to cavity construction under building regulations which helped structure borne sound transmission enormously ( the other is air borne sound).
Building Regulations have demanded improvement of cavity wall construction over the years - new builds have a high standard of sound reduction as opposed to 60s / 70s builds. So the newer the better ironically in this instance.
There are several remediation solutions available if there is an issue from wet render coating to batten and quilt to high tech acoustic boarding.
You ll notice the sounds as you’ve lived in a detached ( just like you notice the quiet if you move the other direction).
Of course the whole things hangs on the neighbours and how noisy or quiet they are.

Last edited:
I live in a terraced cottage and the noise did my head in just one side mind .
So i made took 6to8" off the sitting room and middle/dining room
I stapled on insulation the covered with acoustic plaster boards then plaster.
Ive heard nowt since and cost a couple hundred quid...😊

Currently getting itchy feet and looking for a bigger property than the one we’re living in, I basically need a separate office area and want a en-suite and utility room as well as a garage. Absolutely love the house we’re in but it’s getting a bit claustrophobic with 5 of us and a dog.

The houses I’m looking at within price range are mostly semi-detached, however I’m currently in a detached.

My concern is the noise from next door, I know when I was with the ex wife living next to @Thewper1 i could hear him farting through the wall, but that was in a new build, what are 60’s / 70’s builds like, are the walls paper thin? Is there anything you can do to sound proof if they become an issue?
You can soundproof walls man dafty ;) :lol:

Currently getting itchy feet and looking for a bigger property than the one we’re living in, I basically need a separate office area and want a en-suite and utility room as well as a garage. Absolutely love the house we’re in but it’s getting a bit claustrophobic with 5 of us and a dog.

The houses I’m looking at within price range are mostly semi-detached, however I’m currently in a detached.

My concern is the noise from next door, I know when I was with the ex wife living next to @Thewper1 i could hear him farting through the wall, but that was in a new build, what are 60’s / 70’s builds like, are the walls paper thin? Is there anything you can do to sound proof if they become an issue?
Had a 70s semi and could hear everything from the noisy bastards next door so moved to a new build detached. Walls thinner than paper from external
Noise but I’d never go back to a semi.
Guess it depends on who built it, Pearson's homes which were built in the 60's would survive a Tsar Bomba. The one I'm in now from leach homes built in the 70 is utter shite. Makes me miss my Pearson home.
I had a pearsons. All saints estate.

Last edited:
1930’s build, can hear them playing piano through the fireplace when there’s nowt on, but they’re quite good so I’m not arsed.

Their teenage daughter occasionally has a melt down once a month & can hear her booting off but apart from that it’s fine.

I was practicing my trumpet one day, and the police knocked on my door.

I thought it was a noise complaint, but after searching my house, he told me there'd been reports of a murder.

I told him I was home alone in the house and had been all day.

He said, "Well, one of your neighbors called and said that some bloke called Miles Davis was being murdered in here."

Sounds like you have a couple of Getz as neighbours.... :evil:

Shouldn’t have to sit in your own gaff with headphones on unless you’re listening to music.
Totally agree marra. Depends if the neighbours are inconsiderate though. It's like an invasion of privacy if you hear the fuckers through your wall a lot.

:) That wasn’t me mate, it was Mrs Thewper1 (£10)

Back