From detached to a semi and the noise next door

We lived in a 60s semi a few years back. Our bathrooms were next to each other and I could hear him having a shit. We could hear every argument they had, which was a lot.

Now we're in a 1930s semi, much bigger and more solid and I can hardly hear next door. On the odd occasion they have their grandchildren overnight I can just about hear the baby crying when it's silent in here, but other than than I never hear a peep.

Depends on the build quality - I'd assume older and thicker is better.

Are you making a play for the OP there, H?

I had an absolute nightmare with mine and swore I'd never live in an attached house again. I was unlucky and it depends on the neighbors of course, more than the build imo, but even so I just couldn't take the risk again. If its all that's in your budget though, that's the deciding factor.

I had an absolute nightmare with mine and swore I'd never live in an attached house again. I was unlucky and it depends on the neighbors of course, more than the build imo, but even so I just couldn't take the risk again. If its all that's in your budget though, that's the deciding factor.
I don't dare take the risk, maybes have to stretch the budget or sit pretty for a while see how mortgage rates etc go...I could afford a detached now, but would be a bit of a stretch and just came out of having a load of debt and said I wouldn't do it again, and enjoy a few nice holidays etc with the family.

The SMB has helped me decide, I wouldn't hear the end of it if I was stuck with some nightmare neighbours.

Don't do it. With a detached you have a guarantee, with a semi you have zero guarantee. It maybe ok to start with, then it goes bad for a whole host of reasons.

Don't do it.
This . It’s ok whilst you’ve got “ old Mrs Wood who’s no bother “ living next door. Different pigeon when she’s deed you’ve got a young family living next door . Nightmare .

Me and our lass donate to charity at Xmas for the homeless people and for folk who live in a Semi Detached house.

This . It’s ok whilst you’ve got “ old Mrs Wood who’s no bother “ living next door. Different pigeon when she’s deed you’ve got a young family living next door . Nightmare .

Me and our lass donate to charity at Xmas for the homeless people and for folk who live in a Semi Detached house.

😂😂

Im in a 60s semi . Can hear the old dear next doors telly ( shes a bit deaf though ) if im sat on the sofa next to the adjoining wall and ours is off . Wouldnt keep me awake though , all our internal walls are brick

I used to live next door to a lass who let's say was rather noisy In bed. Suppose it's just luck of the draw really you could hit on lucky and get a quiet neighbour

Currently getting itchy feet and looking for a bigger property than the one we’re living in, I basically need a separate office area and want a en-suite and utility room as well as a garage. Absolutely love the house we’re in but it’s getting a bit claustrophobic with 5 of us and a dog.

The houses I’m looking at within price range are mostly semi-detached, however I’m currently in a detached.

My concern is the noise from next door, I know when I was with the ex wife living next to @Thewper1 i could hear him farting through the wall, but that was in a new build, what are 60’s / 70’s builds like, are the walls paper thin? Is there anything you can do to sound proof if they become an issue?

Thinking about same at the moment. We want to downsize, and also be within a minute or two of the beach. Which is quite possibly going to mean a semi, from the detached we're in, given the housing stock down there.

Everyone's right that it differs by generation of house - we lived for a decade in an Edwardian terrace in Thornhill and you couldn't hear a thing, the houses were so substantial.

Im in a 60s semi . Can hear the old dear next doors telly ( shes a bit deaf though ) if im sat on the sofa next to the adjoining wall and ours is off . Wouldnt keep me awake though , all our internal walls are brick
Move before she kicks the bucket .

Imagine shouting and screaming and dogs barking etc. it’ll feel as though they are on the same house as you.

Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that because the potential neighbour is an old biddy that she’ll be ideal cos she won’t have parties. From my experience they tend to be deaf as a post and put the telly on full blast all night as they fall asleep on the settee. Glad I live in a detached now!

I’d rather live next to a young un, at least they’ll only keep you up at weekends, with the oldies it’s almost every night and on the rare occasion they don’t have the telly on volume 100 you end up not being able to sleep cos you’re worrying that they’re deed.

Last edited:

Back