From detached to a semi and the noise next door

TheWanderer

Striker
Currently getting itchy feet and looking for a bigger property than the one we’re living in, I basically need a separate office area and want a en-suite and utility room as well as a garage. Absolutely love the house we’re in but it’s getting a bit claustrophobic with 5 of us and a dog.

The houses I’m looking at within price range are mostly semi-detached, however I’m currently in a detached.

My concern is the noise from next door, I know when I was with the ex wife living next to @Thewper1 i could hear him farting through the wall, but that was in a new build, what are 60’s / 70’s builds like, are the walls paper thin? Is there anything you can do to sound proof if they become an issue?

We can hear the neighbours sometimes but it doesn't bother me like. I'd imagine we are the louder of the two. Think mine was built in the 60's.

Currently getting itchy feet and looking for a bigger property than the one we’re living in, I basically need a separate office area and want a en-suite and utility room as well as a garage. Absolutely love the house we’re in but it’s getting a bit claustrophobic with 5 of us and a dog.

The houses I’m looking at within price range are mostly semi-detached, however I’m currently in a detached.

My concern is the noise from next door, I know when I was with the ex wife living next to @Thewper1 i could hear him farting through the wall, but that was in a new build, what are 60’s / 70’s builds like, are the walls paper thin? Is there anything you can do to sound proof if they become an issue?

Guess it depends on who built it, Pearson's homes which were built in the 60's would survive a Tsar Bomba. The one I'm in now from leach homes built in the 70 is utter shite. Makes me miss my Pearson home.

Guess it depends on who built it, Pearson's homes which were built in the 60's would survive a Tsar Bomba. The one I'm in now from leach homes built in the 70 is utter shite. Makes me miss my Pearson home.
Looking at East Herrington and Strawberry bank areas at the moment. No idea of the builders.

I was practicing my trumpet one day, and the police knocked on my door.

I thought it was a noise complaint, but after searching my house, he told me there'd been reports of a murder.

I told him I was home alone in the house and had been all day.

He said, "Well, one of your neighbors called and said that some bloke called Miles Davis was being murdered in here."

Hit and miss, find the right one though and it'll be immeasurably better than the tripe Persimmon/Taylor Wimpey/Avant etc all roll out these days mind.

Bit of a lottery
I've a 2011 new build and I hear nowt unless the lass is in full foghorn temper mode
3 Kids brought up to 2 neighbours and no noise at all,

You just have to hope you get lucky with your neighbour. We had one who would occasionally blast music and it really used to piss me off. Just no need to have it that loud, she must’ve known we would be able to hear it.

Thankfully she fucked off a few years back and we have a single 50+ year old lady next door now who doesn’t make a sound.

I was practicing my trumpet one day, and the police knocked on my door.

I thought it was a noise complaint, but after searching my house, he told me there'd been reports of a murder.

I told him I was home alone in the house and had been all day.

He said, "Well, one of your neighbors called and said that some bloke called Miles Davis was being murdered in here."
My neighbour's dog barks for an hour solid every night. It's very annoying and interrupts my bagpipe practice.

Could you not extend your current home? Nowt worse than noisy neighbours

I've recently moved from a semi to a detached and I wouldn't move back. Can be as loud as we want and not bother the neighbours and I can't hear the neighbours anymore.

We can hear the neighbours sometimes but it doesn't bother me like. I'd imagine we are the louder of the two. Think mine was built in the 60's.
I think that was my main problem. I've got three annoyingly loud kids and I felt really sorry for the poor old couple I had next door.

Back