From detached to a semi and the noise next door

Currently getting itchy feet and looking for a bigger property than the one we’re living in, I basically need a separate office area and want a en-suite and utility room as well as a garage. Absolutely love the house we’re in but it’s getting a bit claustrophobic with 5 of us and a dog.

The houses I’m looking at within price range are mostly semi-detached, however I’m currently in a detached.

My concern is the noise from next door, I know when I was with the ex wife living next to @Thewper1 i could hear him farting through the wall, but that was in a new build, what are 60’s / 70’s builds like, are the walls paper thin? Is there anything you can do to sound proof if they become an issue?
Must br a decade since on here someone was moaning they bought an apartment n when they fart in bed the bloke nextdoor laughs, I still chuckle at that now. 😂

My mam lives in a 70s semi and you can hear the neighbours sneeze. They used to have a dog that whined whenever it was left alone and it drove us spare. I'd consider building a work shed in the garden or getting an extension rather than give up the detached.

Currently never hear a peep from my neighbours. Lovely young couple. Trouble is that they selling up and I'm dreading the prospect of who might replace them as I've had plenty of neighbours from hell in the past. Going to try to put off anyone who looks dodgy.

It's always good to have aspirations mate.
On my recent visit back to the Board Inn last Friday, I noticed how poor the area and the residents had became since I left the area all those years ago, its time to look to come back in inject some quality back into the area!

Now she's looking at detached ones, and there's one popped up on your estate! We could be neighbours (ish)!!!
Could you not extend your current home? Nowt worse than noisy neighbours
Kicking myself to be honest, put a big extension on about 7 years back, but should've made it bigger really.
Must br a decade since on here someone was moaning they bought an apartment n when they fart in bed the bloke nextdoor laughs, I still chuckle at that now. 😂
Had a Moorside flat for a while, every Sunday morning we lay and listened to the bloke below bucking!

Last edited:
Currently getting itchy feet and looking for a bigger property than the one we’re living in, I basically need a separate office area and want a en-suite and utility room as well as a garage. Absolutely love the house we’re in but it’s getting a bit claustrophobic with 5 of us and a dog.

The houses I’m looking at within price range are mostly semi-detached, however I’m currently in a detached.

My concern is the noise from next door, I know when I was with the ex wife living next to @Thewper1 i could hear him farting through the wall, but that was in a new build, what are 60’s / 70’s builds like, are the walls paper thin? Is there anything you can do to sound proof if they become an issue?
Previous house was built around 1970.
You could hear next door neighbours chewing their food.
Better to extend if you can.

We lived in a 60s semi a few years back. Our bathrooms were next to each other and I could hear him having a shit. We could hear every argument they had, which was a lot.

Now we're in a 1930s semi, much bigger and more solid and I can hardly hear next door. On the odd occasion they have their grandchildren overnight I can just about hear the baby crying when it's silent in here, but other than than I never hear a peep.

Depends on the build quality - I'd assume older and thicker is better.

I noticed there's a detached up for sale next to the cavalier which looked decent value for the size.

Looked it up on Rightmove and it has a bit of an odd layout and dated, but it does look spacious.

not worse than struggling with a semi
That post is worth a thumbs up 👍.

Lived in a Victorian row, an Edwardian row, a Victorian semi, 30's semi, 30's row and many post war row houses and semis, you can hear the neighbours in all of them.

Stayed in a holiday let on an expensive development, the kids pelting up and down stairs next door made the fire irons vibrate 😁

There's a jaudi fella on YouTube who soundproofed his house, quite an in depth watch but interesting.

I noticed there's a detached up for sale next to the cavalier which looked decent value for the size.

Looked it up on Rightmove and it has a bit of an odd layout and dated, but it does look spacious.
Aye seen it, needs a few quid throwing at it, canny outlook though.

Agree with the points on here.

First house was a 1970's semi and you could hear the neighbours going at it hammer and tong as the master bedrooms backed onto each other.
Moved to a 1930's semi and you wouldn't know anyone was in next door.
We had young kids when we first moved in and they guy next door swears he couldn't hear a thing despite me being nearly deafened by their noise.

My mate has a new townhouse and you can hear all sorts of noise from next door and people walking around 2 floors up.

So older is better really for the sound proofing.

On my recent visit back to the Board Inn last Friday, I noticed how poor the area and the residents had became since I left the area all those years ago, its time to look to come back in inject some quality back into the area!

Now she's looking at detached ones, and there's one popped up on your estate! We could be neighbours (ish)!!!

Kicking myself to be honest, put a big extension on about 7 years back, but should've made it bigger really.

Had a Moorside flat for a while, every Sunday morning we lay and listened to the bloke below bucking!
Sorry about that

I grew up in a massive detached house and didn't hear anything from next door or even up from the dining room up in my attic rooms. I now live in an ex local authority 3 bedroom garden flat and have the corner so just one neighbour to one side and one above.

My next door neighbour Sharon has severe MH issues compounded by alcoholism and what I thought at first was exuberant bouts of lovemaking are infact MH episodes of her screaming away which I can hear but not to a really bad extent. The upstairs flat is a Spanish family and they like to do DIY but nothing major and I don't really hear them at all except when they very occasionally have a karaoke session.

My walls are thick though.

I see your concerns with a semi... no one likes a semi 🤭

Back