Football Manager 2023

I'll never understand how people walk their way through the league's on this.

I'm in my 6th season with Sunderland

9th, 4th promoted via play offs
15th, 12th, 6th won fa cup

Squad is very good now but can't imagine challenging for the league any time soon as my wages / budgets are still about the 5th worst in the league.

I've advanced from robbing city u21s to now raiding Colo Colo and atletico national šŸ¤£

Squad is very good now but can't imagine challenging for the league any time soon as my wages / budgets are still about the 5th worst in the league.

I've advanced from robbing city u21s to now raiding Colo Colo and atletico national šŸ¤£

Because I'm a sad bastard and have been playing for years and you can work out how to beat the AI a lot of the time. In season 6 I won the champions league with a few players who got me out the championship and I'm course at Christmas to retain the league title. I've moved most on but Dan Neil, Jack Clarke, Dan Ballard, Cirkin are all still there, and Embleton, Roberts and Patterson have just left in my summer transfer window.

One of the best things to do is concentrate on your coaching and training. Get the best coaches you can get, pester the board constantly to increase numbers until you can get the coaches to have light workloads, ideally training no more than 2 skills. Consult with your physio's about training intensity.

Next think about your formation. I normally have 2 different ones which I get to get the team to train regularly. Tweak the default existing ones to your strengths. Some of the formations are notoriously overpowered, 4-3-3 gegenpress if you have fit/quick players is amazing. Also think about which players have good partnerships, playing mates alongside each other helps.

I don't normally fuss too much over set pieces, but I do tweak corners to aim for the near post and have my best ball header positioned there. They'll get you 7-10 goals a seasons, which will get your points on the board.

In game use encourage shout from the sidelines. You can berate the team but use it sparingly, carrot is better than the stick.

Transfers, everyone makes panic buys but try and make sure they fit your team. Ideally sign players with a high work rate and with pace. Most players will also improve in a winning team. Also don't be afraid to sell players who want to leave. Keeping them can trash your team spirit. First sign of bother speak to them. If you can't resolve it agree with them, even if its to sell them, then drop the bastards to the U21's. And its a cliche, but raid relegated teams for their best players.

Last edited:

I'm probably in a similar situation.

Promoted first season
Now about to finish 5th season in Prem and been looming between 3rd-6th apart from first season in Prem where I was 8th.

I think I focus too much on foreign under 19 regens, spending 30m on a 17 year old, only for a lot of them to sit in u21 or go on loan for a season or 2.

Ended up being a right tinkerman with tactics as well. Everytime I think I've started to crack one, I go on a poor run.

I'm going to try and squeeze as much as I can in over next few days, but I think the FM24 beta will be out on Thursday so I'm just going to start another new save with Sunderland. Provisional annual leave is going to try and get booked for Friday under the expectation I'll get a full day to play it and plenty of time over weekend.

I'm probably in a similar situation.

Promoted first season
Now about to finish 5th season in Prem and been looming between 3rd-6th apart from first season in Prem where I was 8th.

I think I focus too much on foreign under 19 regens, spending 30m on a 17 year old, only for a lot of them to sit in u21 or go on loan for a season or 2.

Ended up being a right tinkerman with tactics as well. Everytime I think I've started to crack one, I go on a poor run.

I'm going to try and squeeze as much as I can in over next few days, but I think the FM24 beta will be out on Thursday so I'm just going to start another new save with Sunderland. Provisional annual leave is going to try and get booked for Friday under the expectation I'll get a full day to play it and plenty of time over weekend.

Ive never googled any tactics , started off basically playing like we do in real life and its just evolved from there :lol: I`m currently just hoofing it into the channels and causing mayhem ha

I still cant believe I got 79 points first season in the championship and only finished 9th !!!

I`m not too fussed about getting the new one as i cant be doing with all the additional non-game / player stuff. I just want to manage the games and buy / sell players really. I`m on holiday most of the time as it is :lol::lol:

I also do the same as you, spend far too long scouring obscure leagues to find players to stick in the reserves although i still cant believe i picked up a 19 y/o colombian striker for 1.9 mill who was already 4.5 stars.

Patterson, Ballard, Neil and Clarke the only survivors. Clarkes on 90k a week the greedy sod. Patterson has a 39 mill release clause to clubs in CL so he`s probs away but every 4* GK I scout wants 150k a week and i refuse to spend that on a keeper. Ballards twisting because i took the captaincy off him and Dan Neil still hangs around just either siding for or against me whenever i piss someone else off. Ive got Fred as a backup CDM at the minute and Dan absolutely hates him

Finally rattled through another season in Portugal and to be frank I don't think I can improve on it at all. We won the league at a canter as well as the league cup and national cup, a domestic treble. In the CL we went out to Chelsea in the round of 16 after getting past Man City in the playoff thing. We scored 109 times in the league as our regens are simply far too good for the league, issue is now the vultures are circling and they all want away.

A few thoughts on the game after what will likely be my last season this save, partly as I can't really do much else and secondly because I'm 5 weeks or so away from being a father for the first time. Firstly, the amount and quality of regens that come through is so bountiful that you can't help but pick up class players as theres more than enough to go around everybody. Secondly, the AI controlled teams seem to have a bias towards real players and play them well into their 30s, meaning that the overall quality of their squads slides off a cliff as they tend to ignore their own regens due to a lower current ability. Lastly, the new CL format (certainly when playing in a less reputable league) is loads harder to do anything with and then inevitably you're trying to fend off loads of bids from the top clubs for your regens that you've managed to develop to being quality players, irony is I've found in ones I've sold is that in some cases they don't even play them (again, real player bias).

Overall the challenge was loads easier (domestically) than I thought due to some of the above. I thought the big three would stay stronger for longer but it just didn't happen that way. If I had the time, will to push on and simply rejected every bid that came in this squad would dominate the league for a couple of seasons to come.

Anyway, to conclude with some screenies. As you can see we pissed the league. The tactic means we create ridiculous amounts for the forwards and the general quality of the league saw us regularly post batterings. In the cups, the league cup swung on two pennas and the national cup was a decent game, even with ten men we still got the job done.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Back