Football Manager 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

I started a save with England. They're ridiculously good and I won the euros and world cup. Left when offered the madrid job, been there around 8 seasons ans considering jumping ship to another country for a fresh challenge.

Considering man utd who havent won the league for 20 years now :lol:

What tactics does everyone play?
I've got 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 tactics that are working great my on too :cool:

Won the Czech league by a country mile again (Sparta Prague) got beat off Spurs in the 1st knockout round of the CL .... Been given £32m to spend on transfers :eek: got clubs sniffing about Man, Almada, Palacios and Hlozek managed to get Almada to sign a new contract and release clause up to £20m

Fancied a bit of a change, been watching the Bundesliga so decided to try get a team up from the lowest level in germany, with aid of a database and try to challenge at the top of the bundesliga.
Took over at the lowest team i recognised as Rot-Weiss Essen.

See how i get on, league is weird with a lot of bundesliga reserve teams but should be good enough to go up i hope, need to do it on the cheap because we are f***ing skint.

Fancied a bit of a change, been watching the Bundesliga so decided to try get a team up from the lowest level in germany, with aid of a database and try to challenge at the top of the bundesliga.
Took over at the lowest team i recognised as Rot-Weiss Essen.

See how i get on, league is weird with a lot of bundesliga reserve teams but should be good enough to go up i hope, need to do it on the cheap because we are f***ing skint.
Sunderland has been twinned with Essen in Germany since 1949

Essen
Essen is one of Germany’s largest cities. It emerged around the coal and steel industries and is still home to famous multinationals like Thyssen. The Zollverein used to be a huge mine and coke plant. It is now a World Heritage Site. If you want to understand how this region developed this is the place to go. (You will also get a brilliant view from the top).

Rot Weiss Essen is another of the region’s sleeping giants. It achieved its greatest successes in the 1950s when it won both league and cup, and its most famous player – Helmut Rahn – scored Germany’s winning goal in the 1954 World Cup final. Since those heady days, the club has fallen on hard times and currently plays in the fourth tier Regionalliga West. If you decide to pay a visit to the Stadion Essen you will find yourself in a really modern venue amongst a surprisingly large crowd.

Sunderland has been twinned with Essen in Germany since 1949

Essen
Essen is one of Germany’s largest cities. It emerged around the coal and steel industries and is still home to famous multinationals like Thyssen. The Zollverein used to be a huge mine and coke plant. It is now a World Heritage Site. If you want to understand how this region developed this is the place to go. (You will also get a brilliant view from the top).

Rot Weiss Essen is another of the region’s sleeping giants. It achieved its greatest successes in the 1950s when it won both league and cup, and its most famous player – Helmut Rahn – scored Germany’s winning goal in the 1954 World Cup final. Since those heady days, the club has fallen on hard times and currently plays in the fourth tier Regionalliga West. If you decide to pay a visit to the Stadion Essen you will find yourself in a really modern venue amongst a surprisingly large crowd.
I'd honestly never thought about the link until you said it.

Essen and Saint Nazaire the two twinned cities iirc, vaguely remember seeing it on a sign years ago.

Just gives me and added dimension to make it a success now.

Anyone know if it's possible for a player to get a testimonial without playing a game? Signed a lad on a non-contract for Darlo as backup in my first season and he's still here coming into this 10th year now. Not played a single second of football for me and not been paid anything at all.

Desperate for him to get a testimonial if it's possible :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

Anyone on Twitch at all?

I've started streaming FM20 (and sometimes World Of Warships, and very occasionally Twitch Sings if I'm particularly drunk) on Twitch recently if anyone's interested in watching me play and listening to me droning on about what I'm doing. Mostly very calm and relaxing stream with occasional bursts of excitement from me, and the odd guest (just gaming friends I've made online, nobody famous or anything like that).

I've only been doing it for about 3 weeks so far. I have 37 followers, which means I only need another 13 and I can become an affiliate, which means I can actually earn money doing it from people that want to become subscribers.

My channel is Musophil's channel on Twitch

I'd really appreciate a follow even if you've got no interest in watching my streams. ;)

I'm just starting my 3rd season in the game.

Season 1: Started with SAFC, finished top of League 1 and won the Leasing dot com Trophy.
Season 2: Started badly in the Championship, got the sack after 15 matches. Got the Birmingham City job almost immediately, took them from 21st to 6th and won the playoffs.
Season 3: Just started my first Premier League campaign with BCFC. About 5 matches in or so, currently around mid-table.

Anyway, hope you join me. Happy to answer any questions you might have about the game.

Last edited:
Well I didn't wait around long, I got the first job I applied for which was to be manager of Lille. It seemed like the right level of challenge. Last season the finished in they Europa League places and won the Euro II cup (their first trophy in 17 years) before the manager left to take the Lazio job. The board want me to take them into the Champions League (top 3) which they've never done in the 9 years of this save. £23m to spend and 2 excellent strikers (both Advanced forwards though!) made it seem like a decent opportunity, but I didn't investigate enough. They have only 15 players in the first team squad - 3 of which are goalkeepers, 5 over 30 and no right backs or right wingers. So I think I need to sell one of my 2 strikers to fund a complete overhaul of the squad because this club will never be able to play in 3 competitions.

I am Marcelo Bielsa. Yet again, another great season goes up in smoke after the clocks go forward. I did a hell of a lot of wheeling and dealing to get this squad sorted, shoring up the defence and getting them ready for the future with a lot of youth coming in. My older players in prominent roles were excellent.Geronimo Rulli at 36 in goal, Jakub Jankto (who I sold from Samp in season 2 and is now 33) and Jeff Reine-Adelaide at 31 all had great seasons. For the first time in this game, I had success with a different approach, playing 4-4-1-1 with a cautious mindset and direct counter attack. It saw me inflict PSG's first defeat of the season plus beating rivals OL and Monaco early on as well as storming through the Europa League. But then the wheels came off. 1 win in my last 11 games saw me lose in the Europa League Semi Finals to Lazio and drop to 4th place in the League finishing on 76 points (and miss out on Champions League). It is the clubs best points total and finish in 10 years but I've failed my objective so might be on thin ice. Hopefully I don't get sacked and have another season to shape this team.
After 10 seasons, I thought I'd do a little summary. It's been probably my least successful FM game ever, but also quite enjoyable.

4 teams managed: Sampdoria, Real Madrid, France, Lille
2 League Titles Won: Both Real Madrid
4 Cups won: 1 Samp, 3 Madrid
P 392 W 215 D 87 L 90 GF 720 GA 354 GD +366 Win% 54

Best real Players 10 years in:
Mbappe, Cammavinga, Kana, Foden, Barella, Tonali, Vinicius Junior, Pedri, Cherki

Biggest transfers for real players:
Havertz - £169m - Barca to Juve
Fati - £164m - Barca to Liverpool
Kulusevski - £157m - PSG to Spurs

Surprisingly large transfers:
Raul Moro - Starts at Lecce (on loan from Lazio) - moved to Real Madrid for £114m
Alex Meret - Napoli Keeper left for the Premier League for about £20m but 5 years later moves from Spurs to Man Utd for £102m!
Yari Verschaeren - Can be prized from Anderlecht for about £20m. He moved from Spurs to Man City for £141m in my save.
Pedro De La Vega - Never heard of him. Starts at Lanus and was signed for £8m in the first season. Later went to Man City for £114m.

Sunderland:
Never higher than 10th in the Championship. Promoted first time, relegated again, but straight back up.
7 managers in 10 years - Parkinson, Clough, Pulis, Neilson (all very Sunderland appointments), Quinton Fortune, James Simmonds (Chelsea youth coach) then Steve Cooper (journeyman manager).
2 takeovers - Local Businessman and then consortium. No big money.
Most successful players from the current squad were Dobson and Mumba.
Dobson played almost every game for 4 seasons before moving to Celtic for £6.5m when Sunderland were relegated back to League One. He has currently won 10 trophies and is the captain.
Mumba became a regular in season 2 and left on a Bosman in season 4 going to New York Red Bulls. He's gone on to get American citizenship and be capped by the National team.

Surprising stories:
There's hardly any major shocks in the 5 countries I currently have open. No major sides being relegated or anything. No random manager choices either - I looked at the big managers and big clubs and there's nothing weird about any of them. This game has become uber realistic. 5 different champions in Serie A over 10 seasons and 3 other clubs runners up make that my most competitive league.
Hertha Berlin have gone from an also ran to a contender. Never won Bundesliga but finished 2nd twice and lost the Champions League final on penalties this year. They've won the German cup, Super Cup, Euro II cup and the Europa League. Without any takeover they seem to have generated loads of money, spending £100m+ on transfers every year.

Last edited:
Anyone on Twitch at all?

I've started streaming FM20 (and sometimes World Of Warships, and very occasionally Twitch Sings if I'm particularly drunk) on Twitch recently if anyone's interested in watching me play and listening to me droning on about what I'm doing. Mostly very calm and relaxing stream with occasional bursts of excitement from me, and the odd guest (just gaming friends I've made online, nobody famous or anything like that).

I've only been doing it for about 3 weeks so far. I have 37 followers, which means I only need another 13 and I can become an affiliate, which means I can actually earn money doing it from people that want to become subscribers.

My channel is Musophil's channel on Twitch

I'd really appreciate a follow even if you've got no interest in watching my streams. ;)

I'm just starting my 3rd season in the game.

Season 1: Started with SAFC, finished top of League 1 and won the Leasing dot com Trophy.
Season 2: Started badly in the Championship, got the sack after 15 matches. Got the Birmingham City job almost immediately, took them from 21st to 6th and won the playoffs.
Season 3: Just started my first Premier League campaign with BCFC. About 5 matches in or so, currently around mid-table.

Anyway, hope you join me. Happy to answer any questions you might have about the game.

I tried setting up Twitch for poker but just couldn't get it working. What program are you using for the recorder?

Started a new career today with 1860 München, with the aim to try and take them to the top and make them the best team in Munich. Started in 3.Liga, couldn't buy anyone as they've got nee money so straight into the season with the players they start with.

After 11 games, I'm 2nd with 7 wins, 3 draws, and 1 defeat. They're okay though to be fair, feel confident of promotion to 2. Bundesliga. I'm playing Gegenpress tactics, with a 4-1-4-1 DM Wide formation and it seems to suit the players well.

Went with the lads got promoted 1st season, in championship i think so far my best signings are lyle taylor whos banging the goals in unlike grigg, illan meslier in goal is class, and loaned a left winger called rafik zekhnini from fiorentina

after five seasons in the championship and losing in the playoffs each time, I've finally got promotion. Drew 2-2 in the final then won 11-10 on penalties.

Moyes got appointed Newcastle manager on my most recent game. He got sacked after 5 games :lol:
after five seasons in the championship and losing in the playoffs each time, I've finally got promotion. Drew 2-2 in the final then won 11-10 on penalties.
That game would kill me off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back