Football Manager 2020

Just started our 4th season mate never dreamt of having a side for Sparta like this so early. Made £21m on sales in the first season sold Kanga £13m and Tetteh for £4.6m both to China Fortuna giving us the funds for the likes of Almada, Matheson and Palacios (all moved on now)

Will be impossible to keep hold of Arezo, Olmo, Gomez, Hlozek from a wages point of view going to enjoy them while I can good thing only Gomez has a release clause in his contract so when the big boys do come they can pay top dollar

Anyone I bring into Hungary wants a release clause like (though I should be able to ramp them up when I get in the Champions League). Just starting my 3rd season at Vasas. Porto, Lazio and Juventus came in for my best 3 players so I lost them all (though I managed to get my star midfielder on loan for an extra year). But I did well money wise, £9m up front for them which will rise to about £15m then big sell on clauses for each. Then I went to Africa and filled up my foreign contingent with 3 key youngsters. All have release fees as well, but they will hopefully see me get European football next season. I spent the rest another couple of million bringing in 2 very good Hungarian talents a well, one 17, one 19 and both good enough for my first team.

So in all, I've turned a £7m profit (plus future sell on fees), I had enough in the bank to upgrade my youth and training set up again, and marginally strengthened my team as well. Looking forward to this season.

Usually only ever play as Sunderland but it’s far too easy with them cos of their starting balance and turnover so started as Plymouth as a league two side with a decent sized stadium that I can hopefully fill.

Starting objective was finish in the top half but ended up winning the league quite comfortably. The sell on clauses for Jack Stephens and Christian Walton brought in a mil or so and the sale of academy prospect mike cooper for £2m rising to £4m meant I had a decent £2m transfer budget and £65k a week wage budget.

I think there’s a bug or something because despite the board letting me have £65k a week for wages FFP is limiting me to £47.5k a week (£2.5m a year). It’s supposed to be 60% of your income but my projected turnover is £13m even taking transfers out of that it’s £9m.

It’s meant the rebuild has been difficult as league one players and championship players want too much money (I can only offer £3k max). I’ve raided league one for its promising players and filled the rest up with loans. Crewe, Colchester and forest green all have some decent prospects for anyone looking at that level.

Decided to give Hearts a crack. Only ever managed Rangers and Celtic in Scotland so thought I’d try out a smaller club and Hearts have some really good youngsters coming through which intrigued me. Two of them, Aaron Hickey and Harry Cochrane were my best players in season one.

Spent £50k in January on promising defender Adam Hutchinson from Dundee Utd and that was it. Set the team up in a 4-1-2-1-2 gegenpress playing with no wingers and two wing backs and we managed to finish 3rd. Miles ahead of 4th placed Hibs but miles behind the big 2. We also lost 1-0 to Celtic in the Scottish Cup final.

Year 2 I was given another paltry transfer budget but planned on selling my best player John Souttar for big money so I could strengthen the side in other areas. He told me he wanted to move to a bigger club but the only one to come in for him was Southampton, I managed to negotiate an unbelievable £15m transfer fee only for him to turn them down. Nobody else has come in for him and now he’s upset that he’s having to stay here for another year. :rolleyes:

With a little wheeling and dealing I managed to bring in Matty Virtue from Blackpool for a nominal sum and we also signed goalie Joel Pereira and Manuel Pherai on loan from Man Utd and Dortmund respectively for the year. I’m hoping we can get to the Europa League group stages so we can get some more money into the club. The board are losing their shit because we haven’t won any silverware yet which I feel is f***ing ridiculous to be honest.

Year 2 is about continuing to be “best of the rest” behind the Old Firm, doing relatively well in Europe and hopefully winning either the League Cup or Scottish Cup to appease the board.

Decided to give Hearts a crack. Only ever managed Rangers and Celtic in Scotland so thought I’d try out a smaller club and Hearts have some really good youngsters coming through which intrigued me. Two of them, Aaron Hickey and Harry Cochrane were my best players in season one.

Spent £50k in January on promising defender Adam Hutchinson from Dundee Utd and that was it. Set the team up in a 4-1-2-1-2 gegenpress playing with no wingers and two wing backs and we managed to finish 3rd. Miles ahead of 4th placed Hibs but miles behind the big 2. We also lost 1-0 to Celtic in the Scottish Cup final.

Year 2 I was given another paltry transfer budget but planned on selling my best player John Souttar for big money so I could strengthen the side in other areas. He told me he wanted to move to a bigger club but the only one to come in for him was Southampton, I managed to negotiate an unbelievable £15m transfer fee only for him to turn them down. Nobody else has come in for him and now he’s upset that he’s having to stay here for another year. :rolleyes:

With a little wheeling and dealing I managed to bring in Matty Virtue from Blackpool for a nominal sum and we also signed goalie Joel Pereira and Manuel Pherai on loan from Man Utd and Dortmund respectively for the year. I’m hoping we can get to the Europa League group stages so we can get some more money into the club. The board are losing their shit because we haven’t won any silverware yet which I feel is f***ing ridiculous to be honest.

Year 2 is about continuing to be “best of the rest” behind the Old Firm, doing relatively well in Europe and hopefully winning either the League Cup or Scottish Cup to appease the board.

Cochrane and Hickey are two I go for nearly every time.

Logon or register to see this image

My 3rd Season at Vasas (and 2nd in the Top flight) looks like a successful one. However, after winning 15 of my first 16 games, I'm gutted by my collapse. It started when my 3 star South Africans (who I brought in after losing last years star players) all went to the African cup of nations and I lost them for 7 games. There is something in this game though which just throws some defeats your way because you've stuck with the same tactic for too long. It does it most seasons, I have a 5-10 game blip where I have to mess with tactics to find a solution and eventually my original tactics will just start working again and I will hammer teams.

I'm going to work on a second tactic over the summer though so I can chop and change and hopefully neither become consistent enough that the game breaks it. Hopefully I can keep my players. Most of my star players demand release fees to join me, and when the vultures come for them I just have to take the money and rebuild.

My crowds are still modest, averaging around 4,000 now (I had 164 season ticket holders in season 1) but not enough to justify a stadium capacity increase just yet. I'm in the process of upgrading my youth and training facilities for the 3rd time using the money I've made in the transfer market. My youth facilities are now good and my training facilities average, though I've produced no good players yet.

Up to 4th with Bolton with 6 games to go but 4 of the remaining games are against teams in the promotion race.

The Lads were 9 points clear at one stage but a run of 1 win in 9 has seen them slip to 3rd. On the plus side Moyes has taken over at the Mags and looks set to take them down.

Really struggling to get into a save now like. Was doing an academy only challenge with Gosport and got into the PL but couldn’t be arsed to grind it any further than that, then went back to Sunderland and bored of that after a few seasons. Think I’m all FM’d out at the minute :lol:

I've got to say, I find the English league a bit dull on this game. The money in the Premier League makes success inevitable. I've not had a really enjoyable English save since the early 2000's.
Aye. I did RC Lens in Ligue 2 and I hit a road block when my spends stacked up. Still managed to beat PSG to the title 3 years in a row.

Been trying to win the CL with an all domestic squad, starting with Ajax.

I'm having a game at Wolfsburg, I moved there from 1860 Munich, who I got promoted from 3.liga to the Bundesliga. I had Wolfsburg in the Europa League places. The Sunderland job became free as Parky moved to Stoke, Sunderland were midtable Championship. I applied saying I could get them promoted to the Premiership - they hired Ian Holloway instead, who had just been fired after six months at Fleetwood.

I'm having a game at Wolfsburg, I moved there from 1860 Munich, who I got promoted from 3.liga to the Bundesliga. I had Wolfsburg in the Europa League places. The Sunderland job became free as Parky moved to Stoke, Sunderland were midtable Championship. I applied saying I could get them promoted to the Premiership - they hired Ian Holloway instead, who had just been fired after six months at Fleetwood.

Football Manager once again proves how perfectly realistic it is!
Season 4 at Vasas and I finished 2nd again as Ferencvaros won their 5th consecutive domestic double! They're an absolute powerhouse and impossible to catch. Their attendances are 4 times that of anyone else in the division, they have state of the art youth facilities and an exceptional team. As an example, my best player is a 21 year old striker that I paid £2m for - Ferencvaros sold him to me because he was their 4th choice striker. I lost another of my star players this summer, with a top defender going to Inter after they met his £5m release fee. Inter also bid £9.5m for my star striker which the board accepted but I managed to protest. I'll probably have to sell him this summer but I'm hoping for a big sell on % as well to keep the money flowing in.

I'm improving the clubs facilities every single year, but at the moment, they're still just good. I've not had one decent prospect through the youth academy yet, but hopefully it will change soon. Next year, I'm in the Champions League preliminary qualifiers. It would take a miracle to get to the group stages. I don't expect to make it past the first qualifier which will be against someone like a Turkish or Swiss club. But the money should make a difference.

I want a trophy next year. I've got 2 or 3 upgrades coming in on bosmans and if I can avoid my whole team being raided by the vultures, I might have a chance.

Last edited:
Ben Alnwick's distribution on this is f***ing ridiculous :eek::lol: Got a really nice blend of youth and experience for my second season with Bolton, was hoping for mid-table but won 3 of the first 4 games with the one defeat being a really unfortunate one at West Ham as well, early days for this season but a play-off push doesn't look beyond the realms of possibility.

Just beaten the Mags 4-2 at St James' to put Moyes under serious pressure which is nice.

Last edited:
Promoted 3 times with Hylton Colliery Welfare (Wearside 2nd -> Wearside 1st (+Cup) -> Northern League 2nd -> Northern League 1st, before Darlo (Conf North) picked me up mid-way through the season (spunked the wage budget (free transfer) on Nick Powell, who is shite (should have got Watmore was available on free instead), avoided relegation with them and picked-up the FA Trophy).

First time in years I've played an FM game, but enjoying this one.

Logon or register to see this image

An absolute miracle has been performed by my Vasas team this evening. The qualifying stages of the Champions League was 3rd rounds deep. In each round, my Vasas team on paper was the underdog.

In the first round, the pundits and bookies massively underestimated us. We beat AEK of Greece 10-0 on aggregate.

In the second round we would have a much tougher test - CSKA Moscow. But a heroic 0-0 draw in the away leg paved the way for a spectacular upset. My exciting Vasas team win the return leg 2-0 in front of a full house of 5,145 fans.

The final playoff was upon us but I've already surpassed the expectations of the club and the experts. I was also facing the might PSV, a team with pedigree at this level, countless internationals and several players worth in excess of £20m. In the first leg (which was played at a different venue in Hungary), my team performed well and an even game on the pitch resulted in an even result. 1-1 in front of 9,800 fans. A memorable result but the team missed a chance to scrape a historic win.

The return leg saw the club in the middle of an injury crisis. Having had 3 players injured in the previous league game, the club had 10 injuries going into this game. It was so bad that I didn't have a single orthodox central midfielder. I decided to change my entire formation. 5 at the back, 2 holding midfielders and park the bus. 2 inside forwards and a strike to hit long balls to if I had a chance of a counter attack. It started badly. PSV scored in the first 2 minutes and I thought that was it. But completely against the run of play, one of my wingers beat 2 men and put our first chance of the game away. 1-1 and it stayed that way for 90 minutes. I was absolutely hammered for most of this but I did hit the woodwork twice in counter attacks. Into extra time we went and I encouraged my players. I sensed history was in the making. I kept my tactic the same and penalties was beckoning until heartbreak struck. 119 minutes gone and after a corner bounced around the box, PSV eventually put it in. Into added time and it looked like one final highlight to close the game out. PSV were passing the ball about and retaining possession. My players pressed one of their midfielders into a mistake, took the ball and hit it straight out to the right wing. One of my subs with fresh legs tortured their full back and cut inside, there was a defender between him and the goal but he lifted across the 6 yard box and my left winger was storming in to volley home. Last kick of the game and Vasas won it! On to the Champions League Group stages for the first time in the clubs history.

I'll get hammered in the Group stages, but that isn't the reward that means much to me - The £13m for qualifying means everything. Maybe a big signing to final topple Ferencvaros. Or maybe a new stadium to support European football in the future. The Co-efficient points should also help Hungary get an automatic group spot.

And yes, I punched the air like I was in the pub and had just seen Sunderland score!

After my little meltdown yesterday I decided to just simplify things tactics wise. My game with Sunderland hadn't started very well, we won 1, lost 1 and drew 4 of our first six games. I ended up just selecting a tactic that my assistant recommended (in this case control possession), changing the roles and duties around to try and get a balanced team and then I just adjust the mentality depending on the opposition. Given I feel like we should be blowing teams away in this league I spend most of the time playing on attacking and occasionally change it to positive for tougher away games.

We quickly rose to the top of the league and even managed to reach the quarter final of the Carabao Cup, beating Manchester United on penalties at the SoL after a 1-1 draw. For this game I changed the mentality down to balanced and we played very well.

Into January and we are currently 6 points clear of 2nd at the top of the table.

Won the Champions League with Gateshead but only finished 6th in the Prem. Also won the World Cup with England

Only big thing I haven’t won in England is the Prem and doesn’t look likely the current season either.

So far into the game I have won the Champs League, FA Cup, League Cup then international wise won the Nations League with Belgium and a France, the Euros with France, Copa America and the Olympics with Brazil and the World Cup with England. I resigned from England to take the New Zealand job to win the Oceania Nations Cup then move onto maybe Asia or Africa after that.

I’ll probably never leave Gateshead, got over 200m in the bank. Most players are regens now and the likes of Phil Foden are 32.

Sunderland are mid table in the championship with Garry Monk in charge having yoyod between the two divisions. Don’t think they’ve been in the Prem

Back