Football Manager 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got bored with my SAFC save so decided to start somewhere I've never tried before. Manager of Highlands Park in the South African Premier League. I never have transfers in first window so my two best midfielders currently are 37 and 34 years old. Criticised one for complacency and he pulled a gun on me, told me to drop my strides and feed the laptop into my anus.

Gangbangers, you gotta f***ing love 'em.

Finished my first season in the Prem with Gateshead finishing up 17th. Had a relatively good budget of 30m so signed a couple of Brazilian/ Argentinian players and some Romanian lad called Munteanu up front who got about 15 goals for me in 30 games.
Before the last game of the season I was safe and was playing Stoke who were 4th bottom who needed to win to guarantee safety. In third bottom were the Mags who needed to win and hoped I beat Stoke. Needless to say a few 16 year olds made their debut as Stoke won 4-0 and the Mags were relegated.
Also won the International Nations League with France after winning it with Belgium the time before. Been offered the Man City and Juventus job but put too much time into Gateshead

Got bored with my SAFC save so decided to start somewhere I've never tried before. Manager of Highlands Park in the South African Premier League. I never have transfers in first window so my two best midfielders currently are 37 and 34 years old. Criticised one for complacency and he pulled a gun on me, told me to drop my strides and feed the laptop into my anus.

Gangbangers, you gotta f***ing love 'em.
Alright Bob?

The new Sampdoria board have backed me a lot more than the previous boards. The invested in my appalling training and youth facilities to bring them up to scratch and they also gave me a £25m transfer budget.

I sold £12m worth of squad filler which allowed me to spend £31m to get better. It's still a tough ask given the wage restrictions, the lack of proven talent that wants to join and that the board actually intervened in a transfer too. I bid for a world class midfielder at Shaktar and after having a £22m bid accepted, the board pulled out of the deal saying they wouldn't let me spend more than £16m on him! :evil:

So I mainly bought youth with a lot of upside. My 2 star signings were Jude Bellingham who I paid £7.25m for to bring in from Houston (no idea how he ended up there) and Sebastiano Esposito a 20 year excellent striker from Inter for £6.75m. I did make 1 huge error though, I signed Ademola Lookman for a bargain £4.6m but because England is a non EU country now and the league has restrictions, I'm unable to register him so he's gone straight out on loan to Fenerbahce.

The club wants me to finish in the top half this season which should be possible, but I'm still a way from breaking the top 7. It's harder than you'd think, there's huge money flying around. Lazio have signed Gabriel Jesus, Inter spent £70m on Kingsley Coman to supply Lukaku. Juventus have 7 players in their squad worth £50m+ and Milan have 5. Atalanta have 3 Italian internationals all on more than £100k a week. Roma and Napoli are the weakest of the group but they still have 12 players each that are valued higher than the £12m which my most valuable player is. Even Fiorentina and Torino have more resources and stronger squads so I'm probably the 10th best team with a target of 9th or above.

Is the match engine as shit and frustrating as steam reviews seem to say. Reckon it's that bad you can't really play any other tactics but wide men as 1 on 1's just hit the keeper even from world ranked players .

Is the match engine as shit and frustrating as steam reviews seem to say. Reckon it's that bad you can't really play any other tactics but wide men as 1 on 1's just hit the keeper even from world ranked players .
It was absolutely horrendous for the first few months - strikers missed umpteen one on ones, wingers would shoot from impossible angles instead of crossing to your unmarked striker in the 6 yard box every single time. They patched it in February and its miles better, not really enjoying it still though.

It was absolutely horrendous for the first few months - strikers missed umpteen one on ones, wingers would shoot from impossible angles instead of crossing to your unmarked striker in the 6 yard box every single time. They patched it in February and its miles better, not really enjoying it still though.
Why you not enjoying it if they have patched it up mate...other than the fact you're probably trying to play with Sunderland ? :lol: :(

I had a great save a few years ago with Crewe, didn't sign anyone just ploughed cash into youth development (which was tricky in the first few years) and brought through youngsters. Got well established in the premier league qualifying for the Europa league but hit a bit of a ceiling there, tricky to compete against the sides spending £75m bringing in world class talents while you're waiting for a 17 year old to kick on. I got really attached to the players, more than any other game I've played, I was gutted when my England international centre back, captain and 10 year stalwart said he wanted to move to Spurs. :lol:

was just about to buy it like is it worth it or will it just piss me off?

It's been patched but it's still not good enough. Before the fix, they would mess every single 1 on 1. Now they score about 1 in 5 (in my experience) whilst my inside forwards on the wings bang them in from all over.

It's been patched but it's still not good enough. Before the fix, they would mess every single 1 on 1. Now they score about 1 in 5 (in my experience) whilst my inside forwards on the wings bang them in from all over.
Can you post your tactics in that case, my IFs are absolutely hopeless :lol: Never been able to get them to work this year
was just about to buy it like is it worth it or will it just piss me off?
As long as you're using the most up to date patch it's definitely playable (now anyway). I think I just got a bit bored of it, haven't touched it for weeks

Last edited:
Got my wing backs in superb form in the 4-3-3 Ive been working on last season Jonjoe Kenny 1 goal 14 assists/Marc Cucurella 4 goals 10 assists. Currently this season Reece James 3 goals and 5 assists (14 games) & Cucurella 4 goals and 5 assists (16 games)
The new Sampdoria board have backed me a lot more than the previous boards. The invested in my appalling training and youth facilities to bring them up to scratch and they also gave me a £25m transfer budget.

I sold £12m worth of squad filler which allowed me to spend £31m to get better. It's still a tough ask given the wage restrictions, the lack of proven talent that wants to join and that the board actually intervened in a transfer too. I bid for a world class midfielder at Shaktar and after having a £22m bid accepted, the board pulled out of the deal saying they wouldn't let me spend more than £16m on him! :evil:

So I mainly bought youth with a lot of upside. My 2 star signings were Jude Bellingham who I paid £7.25m for to bring in from Houston (no idea how he ended up there) and Sebastiano Esposito a 20 year excellent striker from Inter for £6.75m. I did make 1 huge error though, I signed Ademola Lookman for a bargain £4.6m but because England is a non EU country now and the league has restrictions, I'm unable to register him so he's gone straight out on loan to Fenerbahce.

The club wants me to finish in the top half this season which should be possible, but I'm still a way from breaking the top 7. It's harder than you'd think, there's huge money flying around. Lazio have signed Gabriel Jesus, Inter spent £70m on Kingsley Coman to supply Lukaku. Juventus have 7 players in their squad worth £50m+ and Milan have 5. Atalanta have 3 Italian internationals all on more than £100k a week. Roma and Napoli are the weakest of the group but they still have 12 players each that are valued higher than the £12m which my most valuable player is. Even Fiorentina and Torino have more resources and stronger squads so I'm probably the 10th best team with a target of 9th or above.
Did you not talk to them ? Had that a few times and they usually let me have my way

Last edited:
Europa League watch out, Samp are on their way! :cool:

The media predicted me to finish 9th and the board expected top half but I managed to over deliver with a 6th place finish. I finished 5 points off the 4th Champions League spot though i was never really in that race.

Sebastiano Esposito was an inspired signing. £6.75m from Inter and the wonderkid scored 19 goals in 38 games for me this season and earned his first 2 Italian caps as well.

Jude Bellingham was a standout performer as well. Only 5 goals and 4 assists but his marauding runs from midfield and key passes created so many attacking opportunities. He'll score double figures next season.

Ronaldo Vieira is really stepping up as well. He made the 10 man shortlist for player of the season in the league and is now on Juve's radar.

The core of my team is young and talented. My aim for this summer is to keep them and add a bit of quality in the wider positions (left back especially).

Am I likely to find a laptop around the £200 mark that can run FM2020? This thread has me wanting a go myself.

And if so, any recommendations?

July 2025 and 38 year old Lionel Messi has just signed a player/under 18’s coach for Sunderland

Wouldn’t come unless I made him an under 18’s coach as well

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if anyone wants this cheap currently it's included in Xbox Game Pass on PC. You can get your first month for £1 and then £3.99 there on in for a bit. Might help fill a gap if anyone is bored at home right now.

Anyone ever managed in Sweden, starting at the bottom.

Fancy it but don't know why or if i'll get bored

Am I likely to find a laptop around the £200 mark that can run FM2020? This thread has me wanting a go myself.

And if so, any recommendations?

I got a Lenovo Ideapad from Curry’s a few weeks ago for £249 and FM works perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back