Football Manager 2020

Anyone ever managed in Sweden, starting at the bottom.

Fancy it but don't know why or if i'll get bored

@Dexter has done it in this thread with Syrianska. I've never started at the bottom - I had a Hammarby save on FM17 which was one of my all time favourites.
About to begin season 5 with Sampdoria and have my first venture into European football. It's been a tricky transfer window. My £10m transfer budget was supplemented by some outgoing sales but the wage budget was getting a bit out of control so I had to cut back. Simone Zaza went off for an Indian summer in Saudi Arabia. 2 of my first team players Idrissi and Linetty were going into the final year of their contracts and they wants £70k each for new deals, so they were sold as well. A few fringe players have gone as well.

I made 6 signings for a total of £24m, with Angel Gomes (free transfer), being the oldest at 22 and Patrick Agostinell (£9m rising to £12.5m) being the youngest at 16. Most of my new signings will be back ups next year and I'll be looking for them to be key players in the years ahead.

The board want another top half finish, but I want 6th at least again.

Last edited:

Won the South African Prem by a point in first season after prediction of 7th. We had to win to guarantee it, were 2-0 up but Stellenbosch clawed it back and equalised in 92nd minute. Thankfully Sundowns were held 0-0 so we scraped it.

However, going in to 2nd season and a go at the African Champions League we have absolutely no budget for wages or transfers (can't even afford to give my u21s manager a new contract) and all my best players are in their mid 30's. Feel like second season will be extremely difficult so don't know whether to stick with it and see how we go or bite the bullet and go before tarnishing my good work, starting again somewhere else.

Won the South African Prem by a point in first season after prediction of 7th. We had to win to guarantee it, were 2-0 up but Stellenbosch clawed it back and equalised in 92nd minute. Thankfully Sundowns were held 0-0 so we scraped it.

However, going in to 2nd season and a go at the African Champions League we have absolutely no budget for wages or transfers (can't even afford to give my u21s manager a new contract) and all my best players are in their mid 30's. Feel like second season will be extremely difficult so don't know whether to stick with it and see how we go or bite the bullet and go before tarnishing my good work, starting again somewhere else.

I played in South Africa once, years ago but I feel like the like of other available leagues on the continent is a downfall for a more immersive experience and I don't tend to download other peoples creations as they often have unforeseen errors years down the line.

Just finished 5th in the Premier League with Darlington on the final day of the season only to find out Fulham in 10th won the FA Cup, Arsenal in 8th won the Euro Cup II and Chelsea in 7th won the Champions League so I don't qualify for any Europeon tournament.

Hardly seems fair :neutral: :lol:

I played in South Africa once, years ago but I feel like the like of other available leagues on the continent is a downfall for a more immersive experience and I don't tend to download other peoples creations as they often have unforeseen errors years down the line.

Yeah there's dreadful choice in Africa (SA only!!)

Asia is much better represented, its a real shame as I'd have a better chance at decent jobs in Africa and be a bit more interesting. Nowhere in Europe wants me other than League 2 or below England and don't fancy that. Maybe Romania or somewhere like that..

Yeah there's dreadful choice in Africa (SA only!!)

Asia is much better represented, its a real shame as I'd have a better chance at decent jobs in Africa and be a bit more interesting. Nowhere in Europe wants me other than League 2 or below England and don't fancy that. Maybe Romania or somewhere like that..

You would think that they could have the Northern quartet of big football nations (Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco) where they all seem to have a good footballing set up, decent finances and decent fanbases.

I think I've tried Romania before and it wasn't awful, just didn't love it. I do like a good random league though, but I find it more enjoyable when I am one of the better sides and can build to take on European giants. I often tend to look for fallen giants, big clubs that are for some reason in a lower league.
About to begin season 5 with Sampdoria and have my first venture into European football. It's been a tricky transfer window. My £10m transfer budget was supplemented by some outgoing sales but the wage budget was getting a bit out of control so I had to cut back. Simone Zaza went off for an Indian summer in Saudi Arabia. 2 of my first team players Idrissi and Linetty were going into the final year of their contracts and they wants £70k each for new deals, so they were sold as well. A few fringe players have gone as well.

I made 6 signings for a total of £24m, with Angel Gomes (free transfer), being the oldest at 22 and Patrick Agostinell (£9m rising to £12.5m) being the youngest at 16. Most of my new signings will be back ups next year and I'll be looking for them to be key players in the years ahead.

The board want another top half finish, but I want 6th at least again.

My 5th season at Samp is over and i'm gutted despite winning my first silverware. I beat Napoli in the final of the Italian Cup to win the clubs first trophy in 30 years. In the Europa League, the objective was to just be competitive and I went massively beyond expectations and eventually went out in the Semi Final 6-4 on aggregate to Saint Etienne. Then in the league, the expectation was to finish in the top half and I managed to finish 5th. So why the disappointment?

I had an injury crisis in the last 6 weeks of the season that completely tore it apart. I played 11 games in the last 32 days of the season with 3 out of my 4 wingers injured, my star midfielder and star striker repeatedly picking up niggles in games and my left back being wiped out for the entire time. Of those 11 games, I won the cup final and 1 of the Europa League semi finals (but got humped 5-1 in the first leg). Of the 8 games in the league, I only won 2 of them, drawing 2 and losing 4 (I only lost 4 in the first 30). I finished an agonising 2 points away from the Champions League positions and only 9 points off the title. I would have won it or ran Inter very close if I didn't have the crisis as we were neck and neck all season.

My star players stepped up again, but will all be leaving this summer.

Sebastiano Esposito scored 19 goals again in the league, but also managed a further 11 in the Europa League. He has a £77m clause in his contract and has interest from Bayern, Real and Juve among others.

Jude Bellingham has been like the second coming of Gazza in my game. He's outstanding. He managed 11 goals and 5 assists in 33 games from central midfield this season. He's also broken into the England side and started the last 6 games for them. He's making noises about moving to a bigger club and had a £74m release fee. Liverpool, Arsenal and Inter are interested.

Adam Hlozek has been incredible for me too. I picked him up from Sparta Prague for just £64k because his contract had 6 months left. From the right wing this season he scored 11 and assisted 6 in 24 league games. He's been injured which might stop clubs taking him.

Ronaldo Vieira had another great season as a midfield enforcer. He's wanted by Arsenal and Bayern and his release fee is just £40m (agent won't take it out of his contract) so he'll be gone.

I'm not sure if I'll stick around for next season yet. Bellingham racing from midfield and Esposito breaking the offside trap every game, make this a really enjoyable team. Not sure I want to rebuild it after the vultures tear it apart.

Last edited:
Can someone name a decent team to use.

Or even a decent league to use, one that’s not mainstream etc

Depends what you want mate but AZ Alkmaar is phenomenal this year. They've got a great bunch of young players in their first team, an outstanding youth academy and the challenge of breaking the big 3 in Holland.

If you like an academy type save and regen squad building then Belgium and Portugal are good. Making Dinamo Zagreb the Ajax of the east is always a game I like, or there's tougher challenge of Hagi's Viitorul in Romania.

If I don't go for a youth save, then my other type of save tends to be a fallen/sleeping giant one. Palermo are in Serie D in Italy this year if you get the league added via steam. Otherwise Catania, Chievo and Bari are all too big to be in Serie C.

Saint Etienne are France's most successful club (just) but they now have to get past PSG, Lyon, Marseille and Monaco to ever get a chance at another league title.

Hammarby have the biggest fan base in the whole of Scandinavia but they've only ever won the league once. In the last 5 years they also got relegated and promoted again. They have a 32,000 seater stadium which is a perfect base to build a giant. If you want to make it harder, buy Scandinavian players only.

Depends what you want mate but AZ Alkmaar is phenomenal this year. They've got a great bunch of young players in their first team, an outstanding youth academy and the challenge of breaking the big 3 in Holland.

If you like an academy type save and regen squad building then Belgium and Portugal are good. Making Dinamo Zagreb the Ajax of the east is always a game I like, or there's tougher challenge of Hagi's Viitorul in Romania.

If I don't go for a youth save, then my other type of save tends to be a fallen/sleeping giant one. Palermo are in Serie D in Italy this year if you get the league added via steam. Otherwise Catania, Chievo and Bari are all too big to be in Serie C.

Saint Etienne are France's most successful club (just) but they now have to get past PSG, Lyon, Marseille and Monaco to ever get a chance at another league title.

Hammarby have the biggest fan base in the whole of Scandinavia but they've only ever won the league once. In the last 5 years they also got relegated and promoted again. They have a 32,000 seater stadium which is a perfect base to build a giant. If you want to make it harder, buy Scandinavian players only.
Quality write up that mate cheers.
Going to have a look through them now and pick one 😎

My 5 year reign as manager of Sampdoria is over. The summer was starting to look tough with my star players all wanting big moves (or £150k a week which I couldn't afford). My stock was high as well and I went to job interviews that were offered to me. After giving it some thought I turned down Eintracht Frankfurt and Lazio, whilst Schalke didn't give me the job, but eventually I was made an offer that I couldn't refuse...

After just 1 trophy in the last 5 years and having finished 3rd in each of the last 3 seasons, the board of Real Madrid decided that I'm the man to get them out of a slump.

Hazard, Casemiro, Kroos and Courtois are all 32-34 and in their final season. Among my star players are Ruben Neves and Alex Grimaldo who, whilst great for most clubs, shows that Real have slipped a little.

There are 2 reasons why I took this job though:

Herrero

The 20 year old wonderkid who will be the best striker in the world.

Teun!!

I love a defensive midfield general and Teun Koopmeiners is my favourite in this years game. He's got a good range of passing, great leadership skills, hard working and he takes a great penalty. He's not currently the club captain but he will be under me. I'm also intrigued by the possibility of dropping him into a libero role as he gets older and trying something new.

One thing I don't like though is the ludicrous finances. The £160m transfer budget is probably needed given the calibre of player that I need to sign, but the wages are ridiculous.

Eden Hazard is 33 and is on £450k a week!! My next 7 players are all on £250k. Then I have another 11 players earning between £100-235k. Absolutely insane, but I'm guessing all players will want the Real Madrid payrise when they join me.

I got bored of England very quickly so started a new game with Standard Liege, Finances not great, decent squad but not the best in belgium but excellent youth academy/facilities and they want them to be the best in belgium, atm they are way behind anderlecht on that count. 7 games away from end of season, joint top with Club Brugge, but finances will dictate what happens next season, revenue from transfers reduced to 5% and the club doesnt have alot of money to start with so plenty wheeling and dealing to be done I think? My top players are all wanted by top clubs so I think I'm going to be stripped in the summer 🙈
So I finished 2nd in my 1st season, lost away 2-1 to Club Brugge last game of the season which won them the title, I've already lost 1 of my midfielders Bastien to Leicester for £6m, board allocated me £1.8m of that ffs, the vultures are circling around Cimot, Bodart, Laifis and Lestienne, if I lose them i may struggle to challenge 2nd season as Standard dont have alot of pull and the lack of finances prevent me of signing the calibre i need. I do have 2 or 3 young players to move into senior squad so they may soften the blow.....

Last edited:
Finally signed the centre half I've been after for nearly two years. He kicked off the day after transfer deadline because I hadn't improved the squad after he signed (I had), said he wanted a move to a club with a manager he could trust, missed training three times and then asked if I could bring in a former team mate to help him settle and then missed Liverpool away because he was in a nightclub before. First time I've ever had a player miss a match rather than just training.

We're not even past October. So yeah it's going well.

3rd season about to start and I've got the lads into the prem. Any suggestions on who to sign. Donald has given me 30 million to spend. I'm annoyed at the 5 year vision though, they just want us survive in the prem instead of aiming for the top 10 or owt.

3rd season about to start and I've got the lads into the prem. Any suggestions on who to sign. Donald has given me 30 million to spend. I'm annoyed at the 5 year vision though, they just want us survive in the prem instead of aiming for the top 10 or owt.
I will be getting the game within a month or two when i get a new laptop, do you get much to spend in championship with us, is it good for frees and loans

I will be getting the game within a month or two when i get a new laptop, do you get much to spend in championship with us, is it good for frees and loans
Not much, think I got about 10 million. Managed to pick up a decent keeper on a free, got 3 season long loans in. Signed mavididi from juve for 700k who scored for fun in the championship. Power, Willis and dobson done well. Just sold dobson to West ham for 19 million, which caused a bit unrest, but needed the dosh.
I resigned catts, but lucky if he's played a dozen games in the championship

Won the community shield on pens 21-20 :lol: :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

Not a lot from what I recall the clubs finances are chod plenty of good loans and frees to get in once promoted though
My 5 year reign as manager of Sampdoria is over. The summer was starting to look tough with my star players all wanting big moves (or £150k a week which I couldn't afford). My stock was high as well and I went to job interviews that were offered to me. After giving it some thought I turned down Eintracht Frankfurt and Lazio, whilst Schalke didn't give me the job, but eventually I was made an offer that I couldn't refuse...

After just 1 trophy in the last 5 years and having finished 3rd in each of the last 3 seasons, the board of Real Madrid decided that I'm the man to get them out of a slump.

Hazard, Casemiro, Kroos and Courtois are all 32-34 and in their final season. Among my star players are Ruben Neves and Alex Grimaldo who, whilst great for most clubs, shows that Real have slipped a little.

There are 2 reasons why I took this job though:

Herrero

The 20 year old wonderkid who will be the best striker in the world.

Teun!!

I love a defensive midfield general and Teun Koopmeiners is my favourite in this years game. He's got a good range of passing, great leadership skills, hard working and he takes a great penalty. He's not currently the club captain but he will be under me. I'm also intrigued by the possibility of dropping him into a libero role as he gets older and trying something new.

One thing I don't like though is the ludicrous finances. The £160m transfer budget is probably needed given the calibre of player that I need to sign, but the wages are ridiculous.

Eden Hazard is 33 and is on £450k a week!! My next 7 players are all on £250k. Then I have another 11 players earning between £100-235k. Absolutely insane, but I'm guessing all players will want the Real Madrid payrise when they join me.
Great read and save mate tempted with an Italian save last one I did was FM18 and Sassuolo

Last edited:

Back