Football Manager 2018

anyone downloaded anything on the steam workshop? Downloaded a facepack which is shit and outdated but the workshop freezes whenever i try to unsubscribe.

I'm also finding the song that plays on the start screen irritating as fuck. I play on a windowed screen so will often flick between FM & internet. I don't want chase & f***ing status to start playing every time i flick back to FM.

made a new signing who's averaged 8.00 in his first 3 games and is currently my most in-form player yet just had a journalist asking me if he thinks he can improve because the fans are less than impressed. What a load of shite. :confused:
I've noticed a few occasions the journalists coming out with bollocks like. Most recent example for me was a journalist asking if I could continue Hartlepool's winning ways. My recent results were a draw in the league, defeat in the FA cup and a defeat in the checkatrade shite.

Loving my Hartlepool season mind. Back to back promotions has me in league one in my 3rd season. Heading into January i'm in the play offs and 2 points off the automatic spots.

Managed to bring Maja back and brought Embleton in on loan and they've been a revelation.

Strongest team is

Kieran O'Hara

Liam Donnelly
Tom Beadling
Jakub Sokolik
Bradley Garmstron

Elliot Embleton
Daniel Batty
Craig Gardner

Zak Dearnley
Jordi Hiwula

Josh Maja.

anyone downloaded anything on the steam workshop? Downloaded a facepack which is shit and outdated but the workshop freezes whenever i try to unsubscribe.

I'm also finding the song that plays on the start screen irritating as fuck. I play on a windowed screen so will often flick between FM & internet. I don't want chase & f***ing status to start playing every time i flick back to FM.

made a new signing who's averaged 8.00 in his first 3 games and is currently my most in-form player yet just had a journalist asking me if he thinks he can improve because the fans are less than impressed. What a load of shite. :confused:
You can disable the song in preferences

Started as Sunderland and bombed out kone, cattermole, rodwell, Gibson, Matthews, mika and jones for around £38m. Only got around £20m back to spend. Brought in flint, ilori, Martinez, Romero and ayhan. Decided to give gooch, asoro and embleton plenty of minutes as they all seem to have decent potential. Playing a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2.

Was unbeaten in the league as up to Boxing Day when I lost to sheff utd. Wheels have come off since then and I’m losing or drawing every game away from home despite not really changing my approach. Luckily I’ve built up a big gap. Gooch is top performer with 8 assists.

Have the chance to sign a few decent looking players like tousart and bardhi but very little cash left so having to wheel and deal a bit.

Started a game with the lads. Had one on my first save but decided to try again. Start of the season sold Cattermole for 10m,Rodwell for 5m, Mika for 160k, Billy Jones for 4.8m and Kone for 17m:eek: Raked in 46m and spent 19m.

I brought in Ben Watson for 2.8m, Louis Moult 1.2m, Tom Beugelsdijk for 1.6m, Bart Nieuwkoop 3.3m, Jagielka for 205k and Hicham Khaloua for 1.6m. As well as that signed two argies Alan Franco and Gaston Togni, but can’t get work permits for them yet.

Currently in the top two at the end of Feb, a point separates the top five. I’ve been taken over and survived even though Di Matteo was being touted about.

Thinking of downloading it for my iPad or iPhone.

Can I pick a team, me fatha pick a team and then play online against each other these days? Or has technology not got there yet?

Sorry I haven’t played this for ages!

Started a season with Sunderland playing 4231 / 433 with a winger and an inside forward. Having plenty of possession but struggling to create clear cut chances. What's best role for a striker through the middle on his own?

Started a season with Sunderland playing 4231 / 433 with a winger and an inside forward. Having plenty of possession but struggling to create clear cut chances. What's best role for a striker through the middle on his own?

Complete forward support

False 9
Deep lying
Defensive forward

These can also be used but your use of an inside forward makes complete forward the best to use.

Blew promotion and lost in playoff semis. Sold 48m worth of players and was given 3m to spend :lol:

Made some good signings but squad is tiny. I reckon il get sacked in season 2.

Last edited:
Having a blast with the lads playing a 343 formation.

Anyone else having issues with the game crashing before or after a game as the players are warming up??? getting on my nervous now.

Just beat Sevilla at home 4-2 in the Europa League Semi Final and it's crashed after :evil:

Depends on how you want to play. Do you want your striker to lead the line and be the main goalscorer, or as more of a creator and playing in runners? If the former, you'd need to adjust the other forwards accordingly - maybe the IF/AM on support to provide chances - you don't want them occupying the same spaces.

Alternatively, the striker dropping deep in a support role and the IF/AM on attack duties to run in to the space he creates. A DLF on attack is a happy medium, but I quite like a defensive forward, particularly if playing a pressing game. As mentioned, complete forward can also work well, decent balance between goals and support play.

Anyone else saves getting the keeper fuck up glitch ? Keeper stands like a total fucktard when having loads of time ball at feet and allows an opposition player to run in and knock it past him :lol: Had a few scored past me like this and scored a few too

Played 3 seasons with SAFC now.

Promoted via play-offs first season, then 15th in Prem 2nd season and 9th in 3rd season.

Finally managed to get a tactic nailed down which I'm trying to build my side round. One of those tactics where we are scoring loads, but conceding plenty.

Unsure how everyone's finances have panned out since being taken over but I ended up getting £60m a year sponsorship deal end of 2nd season :lol: Had £88m transfer budget for the 4th season and I'm struggling to find a way to spend it all, as don't see the point in wasting it when I don't feel the need to.

Weakest part of my squad is the FB's, struggling to find any who will suit what I need as well.

I think this is definitely the best version yet.

Played 3 seasons with SAFC now.

Promoted via play-offs first season, then 15th in Prem 2nd season and 9th in 3rd season.

Finally managed to get a tactic nailed down which I'm trying to build my side round. One of those tactics where we are scoring loads, but conceding plenty.

Unsure how everyone's finances have panned out since being taken over but I ended up getting £60m a year sponsorship deal end of 2nd season :lol: Had £88m transfer budget for the 4th season and I'm struggling to find a way to spend it all, as don't see the point in wasting it when I don't feel the need to.

Weakest part of my squad is the FB's, struggling to find any who will suit what I need as well.

I think this is definitely the best version yet.

I've just started the 2023/24 season and have had new owners for about 2 years i think, bank balance is looking very good after winning the league.
Spent about £100m this window but am still in profit after selling a few players, 1 of them went for £90m.
Transfer budget is still around £200m but i'm happy with my squad and don't need anyone.

I struggled with FB's initially, especially LB.
Signed Aaron from Liverpool for about £10m in 2020, 1 year after they paid about £20m for him and he's been class.
At RB i signed Kenny Tete and for about £10m as well, also very good.

First season won the league rather comfortabley and got taken over by a group with no money in December.

Main signings were Henri Lansbury for 3.5M which rose to 6.5m after promotion etc... loans were Kaj Sierhuis from Ajax, Donis Avdijaj from Schalke, Malang Sarr from OGCN and then Marko Grujic from Liverpool in

First season in the Prem we finished 7th and won the FA Cup. Spent a total of 47.5m and sold 34.5m worth of players.

Best signings were Tobias Svendsen, Diego Reyes free, C.Jenkinson 2.5m, Coman 7.5m, Dominik Livakovic 4.9m and Lincoln 7.75m.

3rd season we are sitting 5th at the start of May with 3 games in hand on Liverpool. Already won the League Cup, in the final of the FA Cup and got a 2-0 lead heading to Sevilla in the 2nd leg of the Europa League semi.

I've spent 129m this season but sold 118m worth of players.

Best buys this season is Recep Gul from Galatasaray 8m, Diego Batista of Benfica for 10m, Eray Cumart of Basel for 10m, Pavon of Boca 10m and old faithful Rajkovic in goal for 9.25m.

I also got Asensio from Real for 29m but had to sell Ndong, Lansbury, Livakovic for 34m to fund it + Real paying 20k a week for his wage.

My rule is to buy under 20 and sell once my players hit 27.

Playing 343

3 ball playing central defenders
2 complete wingbacks
2 centre midfielders (1 deep lying playmaker and 1 centre mid)
3 attacking midfielders

Bought this for two reasons, justify the outlay of £600 on a 'Gaming Laptop'...i know gaming laptops are cancer blah blah but i can't take a desktop for a shit with me.

Second was to see if i can get into it after 4 years away, still too much going on, pointless additions like tunnel interviews and influence of players making it too in depth and the menu music is f***ing irritating but i've downloaded a LLM workshop add on and started as Sunderland RCA, scoured for bargains and freebies and enjoying it so far but it seems to be a little broken down at this level with regard to clubs buying players that have just joined.

For example signing freebies with Football League experience that i think would do a job up to about Northern Premier Level and trying to keep hold is quite difficult with the semi pro status, i've managed to get a few in for a pittance and sold them without a ball being kicked in anger, one lad called Will Summerside for nothing then Boreham Wood offered £90k about 2 weeks later so i managed to get it up to £120k.

Managed it with 4 players so far in a few days in some cases

Will Summerside to Boreham Wood for £120k
Elvis Hammond to Billingham Town for £4k (signed him and sold him within 3 days)
Ben Ledger to South Shields for £18k sold after 4 weeks
Ross McNab who was already at the club to Ashington for £11k (gave him a new contract and sold him four days later)

£153k profit for a few minutes work, i think the seemingly plentiful money at this level have something to do with the set finances for each club by the creator of the editor data as each club has a set budget to prevent an imbalance.

Either way im going to try fund a push to the Football League on that method alone, signing young freebies and trying to sell for a profit while balancing a squad to push me up the league, think i've already hit a point where im walking away with this league so might use January to scour youth teams in the UK and Ireland to find potential being released at the end of the season that i think could turn me a profit

My long term goal is increase the profitability of the club, increase the numbers through the doors, play an attractive attacking style of football and eventually use players from the youth team.
The board won't let me employ anymore scouts other than the whopper i've got who couldn't find his arsehole with his hand so i might have to put that off.

Bought this for two reasons, justify the outlay of £600 on a 'Gaming Laptop'...i know gaming laptops are cancer blah blah but i can't take a desktop for a shit with me.

Second was to see if i can get into it after 4 years away, still too much going on, pointless additions like tunnel interviews and influence of players making it too in depth and the menu music is f***ing irritating but i've downloaded a LLM workshop add on and started as Sunderland RCA, scoured for bargains and freebies and enjoying it so far but it seems to be a little broken down at this level with regard to clubs buying players that have just joined.

For example signing freebies with Football League experience that i think would do a job up to about Northern Premier Level and trying to keep hold is quite difficult with the semi pro status, i've managed to get a few in for a pittance and sold them without a ball being kicked in anger, one lad called Will Summerside for nothing then Boreham Wood offered £90k about 2 weeks later so i managed to get it up to £120k.

Managed it with 4 players so far in a few days in some cases

Will Summerside to Boreham Wood for £120k
Elvis Hammond to Billingham Town for £4k (signed him and sold him within 3 days)
Ben Ledger to South Shields for £18k sold after 4 weeks
Ross McNab who was already at the club to Ashington for £11k (gave him a new contract and sold him four days later)

£153k profit for a few minutes work, i think the seemingly plentiful money at this level have something to do with the set finances for each club by the creator of the editor data as each club has a set budget to prevent an imbalance.

Either way im going to try fund a push to the Football League on that method alone, signing young freebies and trying to sell for a profit while balancing a squad to push me up the league, think i've already hit a point where im walking away with this league so might use January to scour youth teams in the UK and Ireland to find potential being released at the end of the season that i think could turn me a profit

My long term goal is increase the profitability of the club, increase the numbers through the doors, play an attractive attacking style of football and eventually use players from the youth team.
The board won't let me employ anymore scouts other than the whopper i've got who couldn't find his arsehole with his hand so i might have to put that off.

I think I might give something like that a go. I'm finding this years very easy, and I've not done a non league team in a few years.

At the end of my 3rd season with the lads I had 9 games in 20 days in May. We managed to get 3rd place after beating City 5-2 at their place on the last day of the season. We then beat Man U in Europa League final midweek and finally lost the FA Cup to Liverpool 5-1. The team were all fucked from the heavy schedule with about 5/6 players injured . It got that bad, I had to play my 16 year old regen right back for the last 2 games due to injuries to my wing backs.

I used to go with " Deep Lying Forward " when playing 4411.

Last edited:

Back