FM 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Started a journeyman game, took charge of Coventry with 14 games to go when they were sat bottom. Won 9 of the 14 and only lost 2, finishing 14th in the end.

Offered new contract and put forward for the board that we needed to increase junior budget, they refused so I leaked to the press. Sacked.

Half way through second season and I've just took the Villa job, in the championship. they were 21st when I took over, so far I've played 4, drew 1 and lost the other 3.

Decent tactic for the Championship anyone?

Started a journeyman game, took charge of Coventry with 14 games to go when they were sat bottom. Won 9 of the 14 and only lost 2, finishing 14th in the end.

Offered new contract and put forward for the board that we needed to increase junior budget, they refused so I leaked to the press. Sacked.

Half way through second season and I've just took the Villa job, in the championship. they were 21st when I took over, so far I've played 4, drew 1 and lost the other 3.

Decent tactic for the Championship anyone?

3-5-2 has been my tactic for ages now, very balanced with the wing backs being the star players. Think I only have 4 instructions as well: Faster tempo, more pressing, exploit the flanks and pass into space. Good Box 2 box midfielders can be hard to find so I sometimes play with an advanced playmaker on support and I chose the supporting striker role depending on who is playing, Target Man is probably the most successful one I've used though

GK (D)

CD (D)
CD (D)
CD (D)

RWB (A)
ANCHOR MAN (D)
LWB (A)

B2B (S)
B2B (S)

TM / DF / DLF (S)
AF (A)

"Smaller" is a bit vague he's asking for.. Are we talking League 2, Conference North/South or even smaller like Scottish League 2, because I had to wait til season #5 just to be able to scout outside of UK and Ireland.. so I can't give a definitive answer yet.

Attribute searching is a pretty amateur way of doing it, you could be a Premier League club searching for a defensive forward, if you attribute searched then you'd be signing Adebayo Akinfenwa who we all know isn't at that level.

It's the best way to find the players who suit how you play by far. You can search for a pretty much all the attributes you need (sometimes they aren't highlighted under a selected role) then filter players out by hidden stats etc after you have scouted them i.e. consistency, professionalism

Last edited:
3-5-2 has been my tactic for ages now, very balanced with the wing backs being the star players. Think I only have 4 instructions as well: Faster tempo, more pressing, exploit the flanks and pass into space. Good Box 2 box midfielders can be hard to find so I sometimes play with an advanced playmaker on support and I chose the supporting striker role depending on who is playing, Target Man is probably the most successful one I've used though

GK (D)

CD (D)
CD (D)
CD (D)

RWB (A)
ANCHOR MAN (D)
LWB (A)

B2B (S)
B2B (S)

TM / DF / DLF (S)
AF (A)

It's the best way to find the players who suit how you play by far. You can search for a pretty much all the attributes you need (sometimes they aren't highlighted under a selected role) then filter players out by hidden stats etc after you have scouted them i.e. consistency, professionalism

How does it work for you in the prem? Tried to move my successful 3-5-2 where I'm top with Cambridge to my Palace team who won 6 trophies last season as an experiment and I lost 6-1 in my second leg to united away. Do the full backs not just get rinsed?

Got Exeter to the prem winning 3 consecutive promotions and breaking the points total in league 2 and league 1 but I was on the verge of relegation playing 3-4-1-2 in the prem. Full backs and wingers just kept killing me on that one too.

How does it work for you in the prem? Tried to move my successful 3-5-2 where I'm top with Cambridge to my Palace team who won 6 trophies last season as an experiment and I lost 6-1 in my second leg to united away. Do the full backs not just get rinsed for you?

Can't really say mate as I only used it for 3 PL games with Stockport before I deleted me game as I hate playing in the PL. It worked well from Conference North to Championship level though

It was good for Hammary in the Champions League on my previous game as well, often beat some really big sides at home with it

I think the type of player I go for helps pretty much any formation as well to be fair, I often go for 'rounded' players who have good mentals, physicals as well as the stats attributed to their roles. Means I often end up with players who have loads of starts around 13 and 14 but not many 16+

Does anyone not use TI and PI's when they coming up with a formation? I started a game as Spenny in the Conference North (after holidaying first season) and have just blitzed the league 2nd season (3rd season overall) by just using a formation with no extra stuff on. It's the first time I can remember not using any TI's at all

GK(D)
RB(A)
CD(D)
CD(D)
LB(A)

DM(D)
B2B(S)
B2B(S)

DF(S)
AF(A)
DLF(S)

Sort of stumbled upon it late in a game needing a couple of goals to save a result and stuck with it for the rest of the season. 1st season I won the FA Trophy but dropped out of the play offs on the last day. 2nd season started ok but not fantastic till I changed to the above then won the league

Which situations do people find best to use the mid-match team orders

'Encourage' away from home
'Demand more' at home
'Concentrate' if the team is letting a lead slip

Can't find a use for the others.

Is there owt more depressing than the new youth intake, seeing you've got 'potentially one of the best players of his generation' only to see he's got 3* potential with one of them blacked out :neutral::lol:

My best player asked to leave last year for United, said he'd stay if we qualified for Europe that season. We qualified for Champions League, he drops the issue and agrees terms on a new contract. Man United decide to have a laugh and activate his £72 million release clause before he can sign the deal and off he fucks :lol: bit annoying.

Does anyone not use TI and PI's when they coming up with a formation? I started a game as Spenny in the Conference North (after holidaying first season) and have just blitzed the league 2nd season (3rd season overall) by just using a formation with no extra stuff on. It's the first time I can remember not using any TI's at all

Sort of stumbled upon it late in a game needing a couple of goals to save a result and stuck with it for the rest of the season. 1st season I won the FA Trophy but dropped out of the play offs on the last day. 2nd season started ok but not fantastic till I changed to the above then won the league

PI's always. More important than team instructions for me when I make a tactic. Fine playing retain possession for the whole team but I'd want my playmaker to hit more direct and risky passes etc.

People overuse team instructions, some tactics have about fifteen team instructions when there's no need. You could take about seven or eight of them off and your team would play literally the same because some of the instructions are already cancelling others out or the players will already be doing some of them by default.

Just waltzed the championship with SAFC playing a 4-4-1-1 set up to play like a 4-4-2.

GK
FB (S)
CB (C)
CB (D)
WB (A)
W (A)
CM (D)
RPM or B2B (S) depending on oppo
WM (S) set to dribble more and cut in
SS(A)
F9 (S)

Billy Jones player of the season at right back. Wanted a lot of the goals to come from the Shadow Striker but instead the False 9's (rotate between Kemar Roofe and Brit Assombalonga) have both netted around 25 goals and lots of assists.

Depending on opposition formations, also used a 3-3-2-1-1 formation that was pretty effective and played some great stuff.

Anyone run this on a MacBook? Does it run nice? Heard it runs a bit shit on Mac
I run it on a 2013 MacBook pro with little issue. Have a load of leagues and players from nations. Only thing it doesn't like is 3d match engine but you can set it to medium settings and it runs good. I'm in 2024 and no slow loading times. i just use the 2d match engine.

Half way through my second season with Villa, (season 2018/19). I'm Sat top of the championship on 77 points, 2 games in hand over second placed QPR and third placed Derby. Played 27.

Usually playing a 4-2-3-1 narrow formation with 3 AMs set to support, midfielders set to defend and full backs set to support. When needed I've been using @Wylie Coyote formation further up this page with a few tweaks and that's worked well too.

First XI is usually:

Rafael (signed on a free from Napoli)

Bree (from youth)
Ferreira
Adarabaiyo (loan from City - absolute beast)
Zappa (£425k from Juventus)

Hourihane
Zajc (£2m from Empoli)

Palmer (£3.5m from Chelsea - best player I have)
Grealish
Gil

Hogan

Hogan has scored 25 in 23 games, phenomenal in this team. Middlesbrough and the lads are sniffing around him so he may be away, but think if we get promoted I can hang onto him. Kasey Palmer has been a great signing from Chelsea, sets up loads and gets the odd screamer. Miha Zajc, Claudio Zappa, Sergio Le Paz, Pierluigi Gollini all proving to be shrewd signings, and the few players I've brought through the youth have been good too (Baker, Bree, Abdul, Suliman).

On the negative side I still have Albert Adomah causing a stink. I've offered him to clubs for nowt, offered to mutually terminate his contract but he's digging his heels in. Twat.

Season 3 with Darlo, had a hangover yesterday so did half a season... Having problems being able to sign people really... Wage budget is tiny, my DoF has signed loads of younguns that I didn't really want so that's 3k on the Under 18s. Anyways, following back to back promotions (play offs both times) we're in League 2. With terrible players, totally out of our depth, really small so nobody wants to come to play for us and would still rather sign for Conference National teams instead of me. Doing my best to poach what i can from Ireland & Wales, but they're all 17/18.

Got a transfer budget of 40k and about 600 quid left on my wage budget, going to be a long hard season.

Josh Gillies, Filip Twardzik, Lionel Stone and Phil Turnbull probably my best players, easily do a job for any conference side.

Speaking of youth intakes, what's everyone's best players from their academies looking like this year? I've got this lad who looks like he'll end up with 150+ caps for England :eek:

Logon or register to see this image
Mine are always shit, always got to spend the likes of £40m on the class ones :lol:

The best ones I have had have already been at the club before I came.

Anyone run this on a MacBook? Does it run nice? Heard it runs a bit shit on Mac

I do aye - runs alright but you are restricted in the quality of another virtual desktop if you like to multi-task. I have a 2017 15" though also so it might not run so great on the older ones.

Season 3 with Darlo, had a hangover yesterday so did half a season... Having problems being able to sign people really... Wage budget is tiny, my DoF has signed loads of younguns that I didn't really want so that's 3k on the Under 18s. Anyways, following back to back promotions (play offs both times) we're in League 2. With terrible players, totally out of our depth, really small so nobody wants to come to play for us and would still rather sign for Conference National teams instead of me. Doing my best to poach what i can from Ireland & Wales, but they're all 17/18.

Got a transfer budget of 40k and about 600 quid left on my wage budget, going to be a long hard season.

Josh Gillies, Filip Twardzik, Lionel Stone and Phil Turnbull probably my best players, easily do a job for any conference side.

If you play an Advanced Forward or Poacher have a look at Adam Marriott, he is class in the lower leagues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back