Fish Shop Friday thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dare I say it but this could be the time to wind this up........it looks like GiroJim has got us to where we needed to be....he has found, and given us the ultimate fish and chip review which cannot be beaten.

Do we go out on a high or is this only the beginning? I think if it closes it will be like when you lose your first pet or if we keep going it will be like continuing in a loveless marrige- we all have to decide.

its a diificult one lads.
We can't all go to Tommy's all the time though. The purpose here is two-fold. Firstly to find good, value for money fish and chips, e.g. Tommy's in Doxy. And then Secondly, to whittle out those places to avoid, say for instance the Village Fryer which I reviewed.

As time passes as well, with the industry being what it is and so susceptible to change, it's good to keep an up to date eye on things. Today's best fish shop could be tomorrow's worst kebab. The thread needs to live on.

Also, it gets people fancying a bag of fish and chips on a weekly basis, which is never a bad thing.

Reet everybody, I had fish and chips today, so I'm gonna do a review. I didn't take any pictures, mind.

My mate recommended 'The Lounge Bistro' at Sunderland College's Hylton site, he said they do both sit in and take out fish and chips so I popped over and got some to bring away with me.

Lovely big thick cut home made style chips, more like half roast potatoes to be fair, crispy on the outside, fluffy inside, there was about 1 and 3/4's portions in the tray of chips, the young lass serving just whacked them all in my box, class.

The fish was delicious, crispy batter, hardly any grease and as the meal was boxed there was no sticking to the box and I got to enjoy all of it, would have said the fish could have done with being a bit bigger, but because of the amount of chips I knew I was alright for being full anyway... and then she told me the price... £3.00.

Highly recommend 8.5/10

We can't all go to Tommy's all the time though. The purpose here is two-fold. Firstly to find good, value for money fish and chips, e.g. Tommy's in Doxy. And then Secondly, to whittle out those places to avoid, say for instance the Village Fryer which I reviewed.

As time passes as well, with the industry being what it is and so susceptible to change, it's good to keep an up to date eye on things. Today's best fish shop could be tomorrow's worst kebab. The thread needs to live on.

Also, it gets people fancying a bag of fish and chips on a weekly basis, which is never a bad thing.
Cant argue with that- onwards and upwards then.

Its Giros call anyway- for it was him that created this fine thing.

Reet everybody, I had fish and chips today, so I'm gonna do a review. I didn't take any pictures, mind.

My mate recommended 'The Lounge Bistro' at Sunderland College's Hylton site, he said they do both sit in and take out fish and chips so I popped over and got some to bring away with me.

Lovely big thick cut home made style chips, more like half roast potatoes to be fair, crispy on the outside, fluffy inside, there was about 1 and 3/4's portions in the tray of chips, the young lass serving just whacked them all in my box, class.

The fish was delicious, crispy batter, hardly any grease and as the meal was boxed there was no sticking to the box and I got to enjoy all of it, would have said the fish could have done with being a bit bigger, but because of the amount of chips I knew I was alright for being full anyway... and then she told me the price... £3.00.

Highly recommend 8.5/10

Is that the site on North Hylton Road on the escape route from Suddick there, mate?

Highly recommend 8.5/10

Sounds good like but why nee pics?

Highly recommend 8.5/10

No photos no likey

Highly recommend 8.5/10
Sounds shite.

Reactions: ozz

Highly recommend 8.5/10
You might give a score of 8.5, but your score as a reviewer maxes out at 5 without any pics. Have a 5 cos your review was good marra.

Here are the ratings from the Singapore jury.....

The mighty Smiths Chippy, possibly the only real chip shop on this mighty island so very far from home. I believe Mr Smith himself is from Liverpool, but I won't hold that against him. Today I went to his east coast store, which I believe is the newer of his 2 establishments. Once I got over the price - about 10 English quid for a fish lot (cod or haddock, other options see below) - I ordered one cod for myself and a haddock for the missus (no). The shop is rather small with limited seating available, some outside on the pavement, a few indoors under the much needed fan.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

If anything, the food was a little over-cooked. I have a feeling I got there at just the wrong time. Even so, the chips were actually quite tasty with a dashing of salt on top, although the portion was a bit on the small side. The fish was ok, nothing special, same for the batter. After sampling the wife's haddock, I have to say that was the better option, but it was marginal. No scraps as they weren't offered.

Overall I'll give them a 6/10. Maybe I was a bit unlucky getting the "old" chips, I'll give them another go next time. Not that the score matters, seeing as he's the only real chippy option in the whole damn country!

Price list below, divide all prices in half to get ye olde English pounds.

That's the Singapore jury signing off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back