Fish & Chips Price Watch

Is that half an onion?
if the price alone, wasn't enough to make you cry.
@Chatty83

'Whilst that's all fair and correct. Unfortunately a lot of people will take that advice and they'll lose business.

I mean you can buy a fat fryer that'll do the business for £50 and cod, ingredients for batter are fairly cheap at the supermarket. Or if you really wanna go for it hit the fish quay.

It's really not that hard to make fish and chips as good as the fishy can'.

there's the cost of driving to the supermarket fish quay, or public transport and the hassle of that

Last edited:

Whilst that's all fair and correct. Unfortunately a lot of people will take that advice and they'll lose business.

I mean you can buy a fat fryer that'll do the business for £50 and cod, ingredients for batter are fairly cheap at the supermarket. Or if you really wanna go for it hit the fish quay.

It's really not that hard to make fish and chips as good as the fishy can.
normally if you buy cod at a retail outlet like Tesco you will be paying £20/kg.
That is £9/lb or 56p/ounce.
in the North East a normal portion is 8oz so the raw material costs £4.48 for the fish alone.
There is no money in it.

Obviously, you will get cheaper fish but there isnt the money in it that people think.
However, the North East shops are considerably more expensive than Yorkshire/ the Midlands and the North West- reason being is that the skill element has gone.

They are buying pan ready fillets and paying for the privilege.

The midlands buy massive fillets and portion them themselves.

Yorkshire serve smaller more sensible portions and they buy fish to cut themselves.

North West just have to be cheaper to get the trade but also they will sell other cheaper alternative species.
Quantity not quality there. proven by serving their signature dish on a broken plate. no pride.

Last edited:
normally if you buy cod at a retail outlet like Tesco you will be paying £20/kg.
in the North East a normal portion is 8oz so the raw material costs £4.48 for the fish alone.
There is no money in it.

Obviously, you will get cheaper fish but there isnt the money in it that people think.
However, the North East shops are considerably more expensive than Yorkshire/ the Midlands and the North West- reason being is that the skill element has gone.

Yorkshire serve smaller more sensible portions and they buy fish to cut themselves.

North West just have to be cheaper to get the trade but also they will sell other cheaper alternative species.

Quantity not quality there. proven by serving their signature dish on a broken plate. no pride.
It's not broken. The plate is in the shape of a Fish. The mouth to the left and the tail to the right of the photo

There is no money in it.

If it’s a good chippy do you think there is a big difference between something “ cheap” like Pollock and Cod?
My personal favourite is “ Rock Salmon” as it used to called, presumably because dog fish doesn’t sound as good! Only really see it In Norfolk and Suffolk these days.

Can't remember if I posted this, might have just posted the fish in the packet but cooked this x2. Must have cost at least £30 to do from scratch by the time I bought the fish £20+, flour, corn flour, ale for the batter, potatoes and the oil. Made a right mess of the kitchen but it was worth it. One of the best cod and chips I have ever had including any fishy

Logon or register to see this image

It's not broken. The plate is in the shape of a Fish. The mouth to the left and the tail to the right of the photo
It is broken. The tail fin on the upper right hand side of the plate is broken. You can see the bottom fin is intact but the top is snapped off. The dirty bastards.
If it’s a good chippy do you think there is a big difference between something “ cheap” like Pollock and Cod?
My personal favourite is “ Rock Salmon” as it used to called, presumably because dog fish doesn’t sound as good! Only really see it In Norfolk and Suffolk these days.
Loads sell it in the south east. It’s my fourth biggest seller. It used to be popular in the north east until the 70’s - it was called Sweet William.
Most dogs these days are from the states but our seas are awash with them.
Had fish bites at Redcar for lunch today. Seven decent chicken fillet sized bits of fish for only four quid. Lovely batter too.
Thats Cheap. Of course fish bites have more batter than a fillet so they always look more. Of the batters good that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
Can't remember if I posted this, might have just posted the fish in the packet but cooked this x2. Must have cost at least £30 to do from scratch by the time I bought the fish £20+, flour, corn flour, ale for the batter, potatoes and the oil. Made a right mess of the kitchen but it was worth it. One of the best cod and chips I have ever had including any fishy

ALREET JACQUI!!!

It is broken. The tail fin on the upper right hand side of the plate is broken. You can see the bottom fin is intact but the top is snapped off. The dirty bastards.

Loads sell it in the south east. It’s my fourth biggest seller. It used to be popular in the north east until the 70’s - it was called Sweet William.
Most dogs these days are from the states but our seas are awash with them.
I take it back . I thought you must have meant the fish part dimple. Mind it might just be realistic and had it's fin nibbled by a bigger fish :)

Looks good. A nice “ short “ batter.
I take it back . I thought you must have meant the fish part dimple. Mind it might just be realistic and had it's fin nibbled by a bigger fish :)
I’ve seen the photo on a fish and chip Facebook group - Best fish and chips - so can’t take the credit for spotting it.
I don’t even think a greasy cafe would serve on a broken plate.

Last edited:
Looks good. A nice “ short “ batter.

I’ve seen the photo on a fish and chip Facebook group - Best fish and chips - so can’t take the credit for spotting it.
I don’t even think a greasy cafe would serve on a broken plate.
Far from it for to disagree with Poseidon but that batter is the type of batter I don't like. Like a coating with mushy interior. I want that light crunchy flaky batter.

Far from it for to disagree with Poseidon but that batter is the type of batter I don't like. Like a coating with mushy interior. I want that light crunchy flaky batter.
That home made fish and chips does have a light batter. It’s almost tempura I would say. No sign of stodge between the fish and the batter.
Are you referring to the thick stodgy shite picture of the fish from Seaton Sluice ?

There is no money in it.

You are paying retail and not wholesale for the ingredients.
Not sure if shields market post their prices and spuds are a fraction if you buy them by the tonne.
I buy spuds at about £40/ tonne for seconds for pig feed again there will be a wholesale price for grade 1.
The mark up will be good.
£6/kg about ( wholesale )

Last edited:
That home made fish and chips does have a light batter. It’s almost tempura I would say. No sign of stodge between the fish and the batter.
Are you referring to the thick stodgy shite picture of the fish from Seaton Sluice ?
I'm not giving that broken plate monstrosity the time of day.

I want big meaty flakes and light as hell batter. You know the one.

Back