Fish & Chips Price Watch

When i had my business in North Shields the people i bought the business off owned Starbeck- it was a great shop. They sold it about 7 years ago. i have had it recently and didnt think it was as good.
It’s good if you actually go in. It’s not the best but worth it. Best place round here is the bay on seaburn or longsands in tynemouth. Bet it was superb when you’re on about though

The problem isn't necessarily the price, it's the price increase that puts people off.

A big jump is more likely to see people binning it than slower and steadier increases over the years like the others have done.
well said- also the media helps the situation warning people but at the same time scares people off.
i think all shops need to have an offering for about £5- half a scoop of chips and 4oz of fish is enough for anyone.
My chippy is 10.50 but the portions are massive, and can easily feed 2, seems to be a thing now bigger portions.
which shop and where?

When i had my business in North Shields the people i bought the business off owned Starbeck- it was a great shop. They sold it about 7 years ago. i have had it recently and didnt think it was as good.

its not the best but it is always good. I think they are doing a small portion now for about £6 and i bet that is their best seller. If it isnt enough, take it home and have a tin of peas and some bread and butter.
I think Tommy's at Doxy won the great SMB chip shop award @girojim but what is your favourite in Sunderland mate?

All fish n chip shops should have an individual chips (cheapskates) only queue, particularly those by the beach. Sick of having to queue for 30mins for 2 trays of chips with batter whilst half a dozen people in front of me are waiting on battered langoustines, vegan smokeys (just made that up) and a curried haggis. Downeys are the worst for this. Still beaut mind!

All fish n chip shops should have an individual chips (cheapskates) only queue, particularly those by the beach. Sick of having to queue for 30mins for 2 trays of chips with batter whilst half a dozen people in front of me are waiting on battered langoustines, vegan smokeys (just made that up) and a curried haggis. Downeys are the worst for this. Still beaut mind!
that is a very good idea !

Senior special, Kingfishers Keswick £7.95 with mushy peas and cuppa sit in, cheaper than a carry out at home.
Con club Penrith £7.50 on a Friday with peas sit in- not had them there Yet but home made mince pie was champion and Sunday lunch decent

i actually do think 4 x fish and chips is not great value at £40 and it is my business !
However, i reckon they could dress it up by offering it as a deal- 4 sides ( curry, peas, gravy etc ) free with it and a 2 litre bottle of drink for a family of 4- the sides cost them pennies and the packaging costs more than the ingredients. It would just make it more attractive.
Senior special, Kingfishers Keswick £7.95 with mushy peas and cuppa sit in, cheaper than a carry out at home.
Con club Penrith £7.50 on a Friday with peas sit in- not had them there Yet but home made mince pie was champion and Sunday lunch decent
i hope its better than the Old Keswickian !! shit f&c but great business- imagine if it was good.

Last edited:
i actually do think 4 x fish and chips is not great value at £40 and it is my business !
However, i reckon they could dress it up by offering it as a deal- 4 sides ( curry, peas, gravy etc ) free with it and a 2 litre bottle of drink for a family of 4- the sides cost them pennies and the packaging costs more than the ingredients. It would just make it more attractive.

i hope its better than the Old Keswickian !! shit f&c but great business- imagine if it was good.
I thought the the idea of taking back control of our fishing industry would lead to cheaper fish prices or was I mistaken.

I thought the the idea of taking back control of our fishing industry would lead to cheaper fish prices or was I mistaken.
mistaken- there will and never has been enough cod or haddock around the British Isles to sustain the f&c industry.
The most crazy thing is that whilst we are putting 35% tarriff on Russian cod in the next few weeks- the Russians are fishing merrily and legally off Shetland as if we are best mates.

Back