Film castings that never were.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the fuck out of here! REALLY?

Nah man, it was the other Ronnie

You might be right.... although don’t know if the journalist made a typo during the interview (see if you spot it)!

John Landis during an interview about Burke and Hare:

On Ronnie Corbett:

“Ronnie Corbett is what they call in England a ‘National Treasure,’ which means you’ve been on television for 30 years. There used to be “The Two Ronnies,” Ronnie Corbett and Ronnie Parker, and I was in London in 1975 [to co-write “The Spy Who Loved Me”] when The Two Ronnies were big. I adored their show. I [later] offered the part of the butler in “Trading Places” to Ronnie Barker, who said, ‘I’m happy to work, but it must be within London’s city limits.’ He wouldn’t come to New York and Philadelphia so I gave it to Denholm Elliott. So years later: Ronnie Corbett is actually from Edinburgh and I told him, ‘you’re going to have to use your real accent,’ and he said, ‘I’ve been studying my whole life to try and not to.’ But the producers were not happy with a lot of my cast, because the idea of hiring Ronnie Corbett, who they thought was old and tired. The same thing I got from Paramount when I wanted Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy for “Trading Places,” because Don hadn’t worked in 14 years. Same thing: they’re old. By the way, Ray Harryhausen’s 90.”

Robert Donat was supposed to be Robin Hood but he didn’t want to go to California, plus with his asthma he was put off by the athleticism needed so it went to Errol Flynn.

Natalie Wood tried hard to get her boyfriend Warren Beatty for Tony in West Side Story but they weren’t having it. Richard Beymer said NW was perfectly polite on set but didn’t speak a single word to him once the cameras stopped rolling throughout the entire shoot.

John Wayne as Major Reisman in The Dirty Dozen
Lee Marvin as Quint in Jaws
Kirk Douglas as Trautman in First Blood

Robert Donat was supposed to be Robin Hood but he didn’t want to go to California, plus with his asthma he was put off by the athleticism needed so it went to Errol Flynn.

Natalie Wood tried hard to get her boyfriend Warren Beatty for Tony in West Side Story but they weren’t having it. Richard Beymer said NW was perfectly polite on set but didn’t speak a single word to him once the cameras stopped rolling throughout the entire shoot.
Adventures of Robin Hood's one of my all time favourites. I can't begin to imagine Robert Donat in the film, never mind the tights! Although he's excellent in the 39 Steps.

You might be right.... although don’t know if the journalist made a typo during the interview (see if you spot it)!

John Landis during an interview about Burke and Hare:

On Ronnie Corbett:

“Ronnie Corbett is what they call in England a ‘National Treasure,’ which means you’ve been on television for 30 years. There used to be “The Two Ronnies,” Ronnie Corbett and Ronnie Parker, and I was in London in 1975 [to co-write “The Spy Who Loved Me”] when The Two Ronnies were big. I adored their show. I [later] offered the part of the butler in “Trading Places” to Ronnie Barker, who said, ‘I’m happy to work, but it must be within London’s city limits.’ He wouldn’t come to New York and Philadelphia so I gave it to Denholm Elliott. So years later: Ronnie Corbett is actually from Edinburgh and I told him, ‘you’re going to have to use your real accent,’ and he said, ‘I’ve been studying my whole life to try and not to.’ But the producers were not happy with a lot of my cast, because the idea of hiring Ronnie Corbett, who they thought was old and tired. The same thing I got from Paramount when I wanted Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy for “Trading Places,” because Don hadn’t worked in 14 years. Same thing: they’re old. By the way, Ray Harryhausen’s 90.”

So it looks like John Landis TRIED to get Ronnie Barker for Trading Places in 1983 but Barker wouldn’t film outside London. In 2010 Landis directed Burke and Hare on location in 2010 and Ronnie Corbett acted in that. Seems like John Landis is a big Two Ronnies fan.

I can't stop laughing about how great this would have been. Especially with his long hair.

Given that there has never been a really good Superman film, this would have immediately been the best.

Wash you mouth out. The 1st 2 were great.

In keeping with the rest of the thread Daniel Day Lewis could have played Aragorn in lord of the rings

John Wayne originally wanted Karen Carpenter to play Maddie in True Grit after he was a judge on a talent competition. The producers wanted a name actress, so he didn’t get his way, and Karen Carpenter went on to become one of the greatest singers of the Seventies.

Wash you mouth out. The 1st 2 were great.
Can you read my mind?
Do you know what it is that you do to me?
I don't know who you are. Just a friend from another star.
Here I am, like a kid out of school. Holding hands with a god.
I'm a fool. Will you look at me? Quivering.
Like a little girl, shivering.
You can see right through me.
Can you read my mind?
Can you picture the things I'm thinking of? Wondering why you are all the wonderful things you are.
You can fly. You belong in the sky.
You and I could belong to each other.
If you need a friend, I'm the one to fly to.
If you need to be loved, here I am.
Read my mind.

:oops:

Chevy Chase in the Kevin Spacey role in American Beauty.

Bill Murray was one of the names considered for Tim Burton's Batman before Keaton got the gig.

Eric Stoltz was originally cast as Marty McFly in Back To The Future (they'd wanted MJF first but couldn't cast him because MJF was busy making Family Ties).

I believe at least one of his scenes actually made it into the movie - punching Biff and possibly also one shot of him driving the Delorean around the car park being chased by the Libyans.

It was decided he wasn't right after 4 or 5 weeks of shooting and he was replaced by MJF, who managed to shoot FT in the daytime and BTTF on evenings and weekends.

Mostly correct, and thank fuck!

Without MJF I don’t think this would be the best film ever made

Can you read my mind?
Do you know what it is that you do to me?
I don't know who you are. Just a friend from another star.
Here I am, like a kid out of school. Holding hands with a god.
I'm a fool. Will you look at me? Quivering.
Like a little girl, shivering.
You can see right through me.
Can you read my mind?
Can you picture the things I'm thinking of? Wondering why you are all the wonderful things you are.
You can fly. You belong in the sky.
You and I could belong to each other.
If you need a friend, I'm the one to fly to.
If you need to be loved, here I am.
Read my mind.

:oops:

myth

Warner Bros. dropped a press release to The Hollywood Reporter stating that "Ann Sheridan and Ronald Reagan will co-star in Casablanca," a detail that they knew to be false, but spilled anyway in order to keep the stars' names in the papers in advance of the release of another film they were really in, Kings Row. The truth was that director Hal Wallis never considered anyone but Bogart for the role, and the studio knew Reagan was about to be called into active duty for the U.S. Army -- due to a little overseas skirmish the military was dealing with.
W I never knew that. Cheers. Have a like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back