Film castings that never were.....

In the 1980s Marvel were trying to make an Iron Man movie, apparently the person who they wanted as Tony Stark was Tom Selleck as they felt at that time the way Stark looked in the they felt Selleck was the one that looked like him.

Also around the same time in the late 70s/early 80s Marvel were wanting cash in on the popularity of the X-Men by getting a film up running, back then the rumour was their first choice to play Professor X/Charles Xavier was Yul Brynner, also because when Stan Lee had created the character that’s who he had based him on.

I read on here that after the collapse of the Michael Keaton / Val Kilmer / George Clooney Batman franchise, they were going to move on to The Dark Knight Returns (Frank Miller graphic novel) and have a Clint Eastwood play the old has-been Batman which seems like a brilliant idea but it never happened.

Superman Lives as mentioned earlier is an interesting view of how Hollywood works, or in this case doesn’t work. I haven’t watched the Henry Cavill flicks but can’t stand Nicholas Cage and he looks rifldiculous in his wig getting kitted out in the suit.

Bruce Willis was 7th choice for John McClane.

Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Reynolds, Ford, Gibson and Gere were all offered the role first. In fact the film itself was second choice as McTiernan originally wanted to do Commando 2 but Schwarzenegger turned it down to focus on Kindergarten Cop, Stallone was busy with Stop or my Mom will Shoot!

Oh and Sam Neill was supposed to be Hans Gruber and Sean connery turned down the role of Simon Gruber in Die Hard with a vengeance.

Last edited:

Back