Festival of Light

I've paid £10 for a ticket for four for the Roker Park lights.

I've been looking at other stuff. I fancied Gibside lights but that's £18 per adult and £13 per child, plus £8 to park the car. That would be £75 for a traipse round some lights so I'm not bothering!
Beamish is £15 per adult and £10 per child,
I don't think Enchanted Parks at Saltwell is on this year, but it was about £10 per adult and £5 per child.

I'd say for £10, Sunderland is excellent value for money.

its excellent value and the people involved should be very proud of pricing that way.
Im there on the 5th and cant wait.

I just think there’s enough for folk to spend money on down there..a family of four for example..something to eat and drink and them fun fair rides aren’t cheap..when i took my Niece down about five years ago they were £3 -£4 a go..went down on a Monday night for a couple of hours..got home and I’d spent £60..entry to the park should be free.
Not up to council tax payers to subside fair ground users

Counter argument is that if they don't charge them that much then where are the funds going to come from? The alternative could be to charge £15 to get into Roker Park and then still pay £1.50 a ride anyway (that's if they turn up at all since you've capped their profits and there could be better alternatives). The costs overall are barely any different but the £15 punishes everyone whereas the current situation only punishes those who want the optional extras.

Some people would be horrified if they went to somewhere like Winter Wonderland in London, now that's expensive for everything.

It certainly is for the rides, but the food and drink isn't massively over the top.

I do think the ride owners on the sea front don't understand the concept of supply and demand. I'd rather have 20 kids paying £2 than ten paying £3.

Last edited:
Absolute joke how many tickets were available. Half term and couldn’t get any tickets at all. Went to the fair instead last night. The guys in the dinosaur suits were terrifying little kids.

Absolute joke how many tickets were available. Half term and couldn’t get any tickets at all. Went to the fair instead last night. The guys in the dinosaur suits were terrifying little kids.
Yeah there must be a massively reduced capacity this year, all previous years, apart from the first weekend and this week when the schools are off, you could always just get up, see what the weather was like, and as long as you booked by about 2pm, could get tickets for the night. For them to have completely sold out for the rest of the time it's on suggests they have reduced capacity by quite some way.

Must be feeling nostalgic as I was just thinking about the illuminations which I haven’t been to since I was about ten. I know it’s finished for the year but I’d love munching a bag of chips and having a deeks at the lights.

Added bonus of finding this thread and laughing at all the “my taxes shouldn’t pay for….” brigade. The amount of horrendous shit that money gets spent on and it’s only ever nice things for people to enjoy that the tax is theft freaks get upset about. I wonder why.

Back