Festival of Light

It costs me £30+ to get my brown bin emptied. £3 is nowt. Also, for young children, those lights will be magical. Out at night time with all of that noise and light around you; that's what memories are made of.

Mind you, £3 could also get you four cans of Galahad and still leave you with change. Maybe that's what some of the dissenters really mean.

The lights are magical as a kid, I still hold the memories of my auntie taking me to them. Bus fare and a bag of chips is all it cost and those memories have stayed with me for 30 years. I'm sure it will be the same for kids today, they don't need plastic tat and rides, I'd rather it be on an cost a little fee for the chance of memories then it not be on at all.

I went unprepared and bought a soft drink that wasn't badly priced and some sweets for the kids. I did think the traders in the park should've been cheaper since we paid to enter...but that is life I guess. Lights were good and kids really enjoyed them.

Just had a walk through Roker Park this morning, the decorations weren't lit up but it looks great & will be lovely when it's all lit up. Hopefully I can get down one night with the kids.

I've paid £10 for a ticket for four for the Roker Park lights.

I've been looking at other stuff. I fancied Gibside lights but that's £18 per adult and £13 per child, plus £8 to park the car. That would be £75 for a traipse round some lights so I'm not bothering!
Beamish is £15 per adult and £10 per child,
I don't think Enchanted Parks at Saltwell is on this year, but it was about £10 per adult and £5 per child.

I'd say for £10, Sunderland is excellent value for money.

Yes and I learned to say no. I've never spent anywhere near £100 going to the Sunderland lights. Eat before you go, take your own drinks and don't buy crap.

I'd view walking round the park looking at lights and interacting with children as far more valuable than some plastic tat that will quickly end up in the bin.

Mine are older now and often say "can you remember when ........." about places we've been to. None of them have ever said "can you remember that flashy plastic wand you bought me when I was 6."
Same here. They asked and I said no. It was quite simple really.

What’s there @becs? Is there food and drink stalls? Not too bothered but just would like a cuppa or something when I’m there next week
Just got back in. There’s a Greek type place, German sausage type place and a bar with hot and cold drinks. There’s a few tables in this bit, some of them have heaters. Next to the bandstand there’s a van doing curry and chips, one selling some kets and another place doing teas and coffees.

Back