Festival of Light

Drive through on Thursday night and yes it looks fab. We'll head along one night with the kids.

Some amount of moaning from people being charged a whole £3 to go in the park mind.

Was there tonight. Weather was lovely and mild. More lights there than previous years and better quality too. Topped it off with a walk along the beach in the dark back to the car. Worth the trip.

I know it's only £3 but why are people being charged to get into the park..took my Niece down the other year and there was no charge..robbing bastards.

I know it's only £3 but why are people being charged to get into the park..took my Niece down the other year and there was no charge..robbing bastards.
Maybe it’s viewed as something that shouldn’t be funded solely by a cash strapped council and ultimately council tax payers who may have zero interest in attending - it’s £3 and not compulsory to go

Maybe it’s viewed as something that shouldn’t be funded solely by a cash strapped council and ultimately council tax payers who may have zero interest in attending - it’s £3 and not compulsory to go
I just think there’s enough for folk to spend money on down there..a family of four for example..something to eat and drink and them fun fair rides aren’t cheap..when i took my Niece down about five years ago they were £3 -£4 a go..went down on a Monday night for a couple of hours..got home and I’d spent £60..entry to the park should be free.

Was there tonight. Weather was lovely and mild. More lights there than previous years and better quality too. Topped it off with a walk along the beach in the dark back to the car. Worth the trip.

Yeah I was coming back from Morrisons at about 4.30 and it was nice to see it really busy with people out enjoying autumn walks and sitting outside at the seaburn inn

It's something nice in the area that doesn't need or have to be there, I happily pay for it, especially when it's so cheap.
I'm on the fence on this. I can afford it and don't mind paying, however, if it's a family of 5 then it isn't that cheap, especially if they are coming from outside the area and have to get the bus over. Then add on a drink and bag of chips each while out, a few of them shit flashy things that the street traders sell for about a fiver each, a few rides and a go on the big wheel. I'll bet you wouldn't get much change from £100.

I'm on the fence on this. I can afford it and don't mind paying, however, if it's a family of 5 then it isn't that cheap, especially if they are coming from outside the area and have to get the bus over. Then add on a drink and bag of chips each while out, a few of them shit flashy things that the street traders sell for about a fiver each, a few rides and a go on the big wheel. I'll bet you wouldn't get much change from £100.

if people cant afford the rest then they obviously wouldn't buy it. it's £3, so taking it to nearly a £100 for people who can't afford that is a bit daft.

if people cant afford the rest then they obviously wouldn't buy it. it's £3, so taking it to nearly a £100 for people who can't afford that is a bit daft.
Have you ever been somewhere like that with kids and had to say no to them to going on rides, buying candy floss, getting them a drink if thirsty etc? And yeah, it's not that I disagree with you, but it's a response to people saying 3 quid is cheap, it's not about affordability either, I don't think £100 is a cheap couple of hours, if you can afford it or not.

That's just an excuse. You don't *need* the scran. Take your own pop & crisps.
Don't go on the rides if you can't afford it. Also there's a bit of a discount for larger groups, 5 people (over 2 y/o) is £12

That's just an excuse. You don't *need* the scran. Take your own pop & crisps.
Don't go on the rides if you can't afford it. Also there's a bit of a discount for larger groups, 5 people (over 2 y/o) is £12
again, I didn't say people couldn't afford it, nor that you had to buy any extra, just that it's not that cheap if you do pay for any extras.

Maybe the council could charge lower rents if the traders agreed to max pricing, the fair for example, some travelling fairs are £1 a ride, think the feast was £2 for kids rides. Why not arrange traders like those to come in and set up, rather than the ones who change well OTT prices.

Have you ever been somewhere like that with kids and had to say no to them to going on rides, buying candy floss, getting them a drink if thirsty etc? And yeah, it's not that I disagree with you, but it's a response to people saying 3 quid is cheap, it's not about affordability either, I don't think £100 is a cheap couple of hours, if you can afford it or not.

I've been the kid with parents with no money and I still appreciated whatever my parents were doing and loved whatever I had, I didn't need what they couldn't afford and remember being taken to the lights at the seafront when the roads were blocked off and was never filled with candy floss etc.

again, I didn't say people couldn't afford it, nor that you had to buy any extra, just that it's not that cheap if you do pay for any extras.

Maybe the council could charge lower rents if the traders agreed to max pricing, the fair for example, some travelling fairs are £1 a ride, think the feast was £2 for kids rides. Why not arrange traders like those to come in and set up, rather than the ones who change well OTT prices.

Do you honestly think that if rents were cheaper then rides would be cheaper?

The price of the rides is based on what they think people are willing to pay. If the council are charging too much, then they wouldn't turn up.

Do you honestly think that if rents were cheaper then rides would be cheaper?

The price of the rides is based on what they think people are willing to pay. If the council are charging too much, then they wouldn't turn up.
Yes, because thats exactly what happens. How many of the summer fairs that charge £1 a ride are on council land? They use private land as they get the rent a lot cheaper and can change £1 a ride, rather than £4.
Have you seen the prices for getting a pitch at the lights or airshow? I couldn't believe the prices. It was around half the price to stand at the Hoppings for the 9 days or so it was on, than stand at the airshow on the Saturday, in a non premium spot.
You really think paying extortionate rent doesn't affect prices?

Yes and I learned to say no. I've never spent anywhere near £100 going to the Sunderland lights. Eat before you go, take your own drinks and don't buy crap.

I'd view walking round the park looking at lights and interacting with children as far more valuable than some plastic tat that will quickly end up in the bin.

Mine are older now and often say "can you remember when ........." about places we've been to. None of them have ever said "can you remember that flashy plastic wand you bought me when I was 6."

Back