Festival of Light

I just think there’s enough for folk to spend money on down there..a family of four for example..something to eat and drink and them fun fair rides aren’t cheap..when i took my Niece down about five years ago they were £3 -£4 a go..went down on a Monday night for a couple of hours..got home and I’d spent £60..entry to the park should be free.
Its £3 entry, £3. That's nowt. Infact I took my 2 kids and a ticket for 3 was £8.

Yes and I learned to say no. I've never spent anywhere near £100 going to the Sunderland lights. Eat before you go, take your own drinks and don't buy crap.

I'd view walking round the park looking at lights and interacting with children as far more valuable than some plastic tat that will quickly end up in the bin.

Mine are older now and often say "can you remember when ........." about places we've been to. None of them have ever said "can you remember that flashy plastic wand you bought me when I was 6."
That's a real mother, right there.

Have you ever been somewhere like that with kids and had to say no to them to going on rides, buying candy floss, getting them a drink if thirsty etc? And yeah, it's not that I disagree with you, but it's a response to people saying 3 quid is cheap, it's not about affordability either, I don't think £100 is a cheap couple of hours, if you can afford it or not.
So with your logic take away the sentence fee (which I'm pretty sure will be discounted for 5 people anyway) you are still spending £85.

I think you are looking for excuses not to take the kids out

So with your logic take away the sentence fee (which I'm pretty sure will be discounted for 5 people anyway) you are still spending £85.

I think you are looking for excuses not to take the kids out
yeah thats right, despite having gone once already, going again in a couple of weeks, then again towards the end. Also, as I said, it doesn't bother me, but crack on with your shite :)

So then everyone pays through council tax? People of Sunderland paying also for those from outside the area who come.
In your first post you mentioned ‘some moaning’ of the £3 entry fee..that’s my whole point..for some people..a family of four..that’s £12..might not be much to some but it is to others..entry to the park should be free.

In your first post you mentioned ‘some moaning’ of the £3 entry fee..that’s my whole point..for some people..a family of four..that’s £12..might not be much to some but it is to others..entry to the park should be free
So you want the Sunderland tax payer to fully fund it for all visitors?

The park is free. However, to go and view the illuminations up to christmas there's a fee of £3 that goes towards the upkeep and to put towards next years illuminations. Last year it was £1 and people kicked off about it. If it was free, no doubt people would kick off saying tax payers shouldn't pay for it. It's just another one of those times where the council can't win.

Should be proactive and do sponsorships with the bars and restaurants down there instead (if they don't already - not sure if they do). Could easily cover the costs of the ticket fees. It's not as if the likes of Downey's and Stack can complain it being there, it brings tonnes of business for them which they wouldn't have otherwise and make it a local area thing with donations requested I'm sure they'd cover the park fees.

Your just punishing less off people who would appreciate it the most.

Bet most of those twisting about paying £3 smoke tabs and have a few drinks every week..
You don’t get nothing for nothing these days..

Should be proactive and do sponsorships with the bars and restaurants down there instead (if they don't already - not sure if they do). Could easily cover the costs of the ticket fees. It's not as if the likes of Downey's and Stack can complain it being there, it brings tonnes of business for them which they wouldn't have otherwise and make it a local area thing with donations requested I'm sure they'd cover the park fees.

Your just punishing less off people who would appreciate it the most.
Exactly.
I want everyone to be able to enjoy it..the wealthy and the not so wealthy.

Last edited:
Drive through on Thursday night and yes it looks fab. We'll head along one night with the kids.

Some amount of moaning from people being charged a whole £3 to go in the park mind.
Always the f***ing same. Admittedly I think it used to be free (could be wrong like) but the way council funds are cut it’s an understandable charge now.

Back