Favourite or worst gigs/concerts this year.

Cheesy Feet

Striker
What was the best..and worst if you want that you saw this year..mesel..the best was The Damned at Newcastle NX..Gang of Four in Byker..Dead Kennedys at the Boiler Shop..From the Jam were really good anarl..not really worst but i thought PiL were canny boring at the Fire Station.

Worst was undoubtedly the five songs played by Lucy Spraggan when she then asked the audience if they would like another 30 minutes of music or selfies etc at the merch desk. The majority of the audience opted for the latter. I despair at the young of today.

Best was probably Lottery Winners at Parr Hall, Warrington. It was a superb set in a venue that was the right size for the band not far from their hometown which created an excellent atmosphere.

Have seen Tom A. Smith about a dozen times this year, so probably his gig at The Fire Station a couple of weeks ago.

Then again, earlier in the year when Overpass were supporting him at Independent was memorable mainly due to their bass player who is tremendous.

Great year for Gigs - New Order in Leeds, Barry Hyde at Pop RECs, TV Personalities at Pop RECs, Graham Parker at the Fire Station, Blur at the City Hall. Worst was Antony Szmeirek at Xerox - the worst sound I've ever come across. Soundman was just on his phone looking at social media while the sound was a distorted nonsense.

Great year for Gigs - New Order in Leeds, Barry Hyde at Pop RECs, TV Personalities at Pop RECs, Graham Parker at the Fire Station, Blur at the City Hall. Worst was Antony Szmeirek at Xerox - the worst sound I've ever come across. Soundman was just on his phone looking at social media while the sound was a distorted nonsense.
Gutted i missed out on Blur..tremendous by all accounts.

Hard to pick the best from James in Darlington, Blur in Newcastle, Pulp in Scarborough, Muse in Glasgow, Maneskin in London or Guns n Roses in London.

Worst was Ocean Colour Scene at the City Hall the other night. Not the band - their actual performance was superb and I enjoyed that. It was the numbnuts in the audience. Too many people around us talking nosily during the show. A bloke kept coming into where we were standing and staring menacingly at people and offering to fight them while his friend was stirring things up trying to get people to fight. Eventually security kicked both men out. Large group in front of us then had a long in depth discussion about it with raised voices before sodding off to the bar. We were in the middle leaning on the barrier and a couple randomly appeared behind and kept pushing us telling us to move forward into the space left by the group. We kept saying we couldn't move forward because of the barrier so the bloke poured beer down our backs because we refused to move forward 🤷‍♀️

Worst was Ocean Colour Scene at the City Hall the other night. Not the band - their actual performance was superb and I enjoyed that. It was the numbnuts in the audience. Too many people around us talking nosily during the show. A bloke kept coming into where we were standing and staring menacingly at people and offering to fight them while his friend was stirring things up trying to get people to fight. Eventually security kicked both men out. Large group in front of us then had a long in depth discussion about it with raised voices before sodding off to the bar. We were in the middle leaning on the barrier and a couple randomly appeared behind and kept pushing us telling us to move forward into the space left by the group. We kept saying we couldn't move forward because of the barrier so the bloke poured beer down our backs because we refused to move forward 🤷‍♀️
I've noticed an increased amount of wanker behaviour at gigs this year. Last Saturday night The Lathums in Wigan twice appealed for people to be more considerate to others, stop throwing beer about etc and combined with some proper, old school bouncers taking no shit it seemed to work. The Showsec tailors dummies wearing yellow jackets would have been nowhere to be seen.

Back