Favourite 80s arcade games (working links)

Discussion in 'SMB' started by mikem, May 15, 2018 at 10:41 PM.

1. Still play Mr Do on Mame.

Pretty good at it.

Loved Pacland. Held top score for ages at butlins minhead in 89

2. This was my absolute favourite, would love to play this again.

Wonderbra likes this.
  3. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Winger

I started playing super mario bros on my snes mini last night - its been 30 years since i first started playing it but all the little places to get free lives, mushrooms etc just came flooding back. Going to see if i can complete the fucker tonight!!

safcforever likes this.
  4. Sega Rally was awesome. On the face of it, it should have been shit; 3 cars, 3 tracks iirc. Me and a mate used to waste whole weekends on it, trying to lower our best times. Good times.

safcforever and natinnam like this.
  5. joemcdokes

joemcdokes Striker

Star Wars, the one you sat in.

chunksafc and PTR like this.
  6. Motor City Cobra

Motor City Cobra Midfield

Bomb jack

I was the daddy at monkwearmouth college circa 89...one credit and I could be on the bastard for 45 mins

SAFC2403 and hypersonic like this.
  7. tooliohelmet

tooliohelmet Midfield

Did you ever play it on the sega saturn? Im sure it had more cars and stages but i can remember me and a couple if mates would hammer it on time trials trying to shave hundredths of a second off our times.....absolutely brilliant!!

safcforever and hypersonic like this.
  8. Had it on my ST and could never do it as a kid. Went back to it a few years later and it was loads easier. Did the levels start repeating after a while?

Yep, the Saturn version started you out with 2 cars and three tracks, but you could unlock a fourth track and third car if you were half decent at it.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 9:03 AM
  9. tooliohelmet

tooliohelmet Midfield

Is that all....my memory must be playing up.....unless you could pick different stages? Trying to think of the cars.....celica, lancia....what was the other?

10. Celica, Delta and the unlockable was the Stratos.

11. wilberforce

wilberforce Winger

asteroids
    Tron
    track and field :cool:

12. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Winger

Track and Field was class - also daley thompsons decathlon on spectrum - my "acquired" copy would never load day 2 though :mad:

PTR and wilberforce like this.
  13. tooliohelmet

tooliohelmet Midfield

Aye thats it.....the disco car!! Thats what we used to call the stratos.....cant remember why!!

14. wilberforce

wilberforce Winger

I could never do the blanking pole vault !!! it was SOLID ! :(:lol:

also, manic minor
    donkey Kong

15. PTR

PTR Striker

Download ROM here: Roc'n Rope ROM for MAME
    Download and install MAME
    And you're sorted mate

I was an arcade addict as a kid, it was all I ever wanted to do.
    Track and Field & Hypersports
    Chase HQ
    Paperboy
    Outrun
    Star Wars
    Pacland (those bloody springboards towards the end man!)
    Pole Position
    Operation Wolf
    King of Boxer

addicted_to_safc likes this.
  16. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Winger

This might make me a proper nerd mind but i have always wanted my own arcade cabinet - proper full size one not these bar top shite ones.

would make a class project - build it from scratch and then put together a MAME system with all my old favourites - although my absolute favourite is street fighter 2 - i used to go to quasar at south shields pier amusements back in the day and they had 6 of them all in a row - must have spent a fortune on it!!

PTR likes this.
  17. raindog

raindog Winger

18. PTR

PTR Striker

One day, I WILL have a proper arcade. Not sure if a cabinet or coffee table style though.

19. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Winger

not a fan of them - the only game i remember playing in that style was 1942 - in the oaks pub in silky as a kid while me step da got pissed up :lol::lol: