Fan or air con?

I bought this one:

It says it's a return but the actual unit was pristine and it just had a tatty box.

I didn't buy a window kit. I just put the hose out of the window, pull the blind down as far as I can and put a towel over the hose to plug the gaps. That works fine.

I find it too noisy to have on while I'm trying to get to sleep, but I put it on for an hour or so before I want to go to bed and it chills the room right down so it's nice for sleeping. It's on wheels so the bairn has it in her room for an hour too.

Also look at pure cotton bed linen and natural fibre bedding as that regulates your temperature better than synthetics.

When I lived in Brooklyn NY (aye look at me.....) we had window unit AC. They did a great job for what they were, though very noisy you got used to them. Ceiling fans are another great addition too. Moving to North Carolina we dumped the window AC and got a mini split AC/ heat units and they were brilliant, cheap to run and almost silent.

Spent a few months in Lenoir, NC a long time ago now. Loved every second of it! The rain was lethal!

I bought this one:

It says it's a return but the actual unit was pristine and it just had a tatty box.

I didn't buy a window kit. I just put the hose out of the window, pull the blind down as far as I can and put a towel over the hose to plug the gaps. That works fine.

I find it too noisy to have on while I'm trying to get to sleep, but I put it on for an hour or so before I want to go to bed and it chills the room right down so it's nice for sleeping. It's on wheels so the bairn has it in her room for an hour too.

Also look at pure cotton bed linen and natural fibre bedding as that regulates your temperature better than synthetics.

800tc Egyptian cotton bedding and Hungarian goose down/feather duvet but low tog. Can’t sleep on owt synthetic.

Spent a few months in Lenoir, NC a long time ago now. Loved every second of it! The rain was lethal!
Loved my time in NC, I was in Wilmington for 3 years, going back to see mates in 3 weeks. NC has just about everything you need in a state, coastal towns for the some winter and sun then up in the mountains for some cooler summer days or skiing in the winter.

Last edited:
Loved my time in NC, I was in Wilmington for 3 years, going back to see mates in 3 weeks. NC has just about everything you need in a state, coastal towns for the some winter and sun then up in the mountains for some cooler summer days or skiing in the winter.

Aye, it’s a gorgeous place! I’d go back in a heartbeat!
Have a great time on your next visit! I’m jealous!

Think he's also in London, we'll he was at one point, so not ideal travel from Hartlepool. :D
TBH just remembered your signature etc.
Most of my works down there actually mate! 😊
That was two years ago mate. I've been abroad for a month, moved back to Sunderland for 6 months and then moved back to London since then.

Hartlepool :lol::lol:
Sigh here we fecking go.

Local boy does good etc. 😂

Last edited:
Always been a fan (ahem) of Air Con, but I'm absolutely converted to ceiling fans for bedrooms. Since putting on it, my air con use has dropped 90%.
Does the type of fan make a big difference. I had one in my old house and it was crap. I would get a different one if it's worthwhile.

Does the type of fan make a big difference. I had one in my old house and it was crap. I would get a different one if it's worthwhile.
Couldn't say, it was about £70 on Amazon. Just bought another, hopefully better one, as we're moving to another bedroom soon. Its a "must" now.

Where is live is absolutely roasting all the time. Haven't turned the heating on once since I moved in.

Will need to think about how to cool the place down as the warmer months approach, and thought I might as well get something now as I'm always boiling in the night and by spring/summer it'll be unbearable.

Would I be better off getting an expensive fan (Dyson Cool AM07) or a cheap or a cheap air conditioning unit (for around the same price as the Dyson fan)?
I put the AC on in the bedroom and hour before bed, then use the ceiling fan.

Back