F1 2024

Pleased I didn't get up. Catch up worked really well when I woke up.
If not for 2 stop, it would have been absolutely awful.
Merc are genuinely 4th now, shocking.

Riccardo hammered another mail in his coffin today, absolutely his fault.

Toto has conceded defeat. And has done so on behalf on the entire F1 field.

Max is World Champion and the season is effectively over.

His interview is widely available if you can be bothered to read it.

This was already the case from Day 1 of preseason testing, if not before. It's not news.

The leap forward Red Bull with the new regs a couple of years ago was so massive, I don't think anyone ever had a chance of getting close in 2022/23/24 and probably 2025 too.

This was already the case from Day 1 of preseason testing, if not before. It's not news.

The leap forward Red Bull with the new regs a couple of years ago was so massive, I don't think anyone ever had a chance of getting close in 2022/23/24 and probably 2025 too.
Yep. It’s been clear since testing. But there was one poster who was adamant that wasn’t the case and called everyone else bedwetters. Hasn’t been seen for the last couple of races like, funny that

Said before Toto’s mismanagement of Merc since ‘21 in years will be seen as legendary for all the wrong reasons

To take a team from dominant to 4th best is shocking

Said before Toto’s mismanagement of Merc since ‘21 in years will be seen as legendary for all the wrong reasons

To take a team from dominant to 4th best is shocking
It’s an awful time for the Silver Arrows. I like Toto I just wish we had a better show.

I’m a fan - I want to see great racing unfortunately the show at the minute sucks.

It’s entirely predictable, it’s barely competitive and it’s dull.

Riccardo hammered another mail in his coffin today, absolutely his fault.
I'm honestly shocked that there are a still a noticeable number of folk (I mean beyond this forum) still defending him.

Most overdue retirement from the sport since Jacques Villeneuve surely.
Hang around plodding along at the back for too long in F1 and you just look silly and become a caricature of your younger, faster more relevant self with no hiding place (unlike say in football where you can play at a lower level/division lower out of the main spotlight for a few years).

I'm glad Vettel realised he was headed that way and called it a day.
I have found the bit I watched rather dull.

I’ve been watching F1 for ever and personally this is the worst I have known it.

All the histrionics from the commentators cannot make up for the inherent monotony of the sport.
Been watching almost continuously since 1998 and this is by far the worst it has been - and I watched through the Schumacher/Ferrari years which were dull enough.

Last edited:

I’ve not watched a single session this season. The season is a waste of time frankly.

I’ve not watched a single session this season. The season is a waste of time frankly.
You only have to blame the owners.

Pushed for and ended up with a pigs ear set of regulations for 2022 which have failed (in aiding overtaking) miserably. Didn't help that those who wrote up the regs were due to retire or leave the sport entirely either, so no one is answerable to criticisms of them now from a technical viewpoint.

Shot themselves in the foot with Abu Dhabi 2021 and they've never recovered since, had the opportunity to sell up and get out for mega money after that but greed prevailed and they held on (I bet they're regretting that mind).

The issue is now you have a lot of long term viewers now switching off and younger ones who got into the sport 4/5/6 years ago, now gradually getting bored and turning off.

Don't blame anyone, the current product is utterly dire, not helped by the fact that the team owning the dominant car are cheaters, full of undesirable characters high up.

Last edited:

Pushed for and ended up with a pigs ear set of regulations for 2022 which have failed (in aiding overtaking) miserably. Didn't help that those who wrote up the regs were due to retire or leave the sport entirely either, so no one is answerable to criticisms of them now from a technical viewpoint.

Shot themselves in the foot with Abu Dhabi 2021 and they've never recovered since, had the opportunity to sell up and get out for mega money after that but greed prevailed and they held on (I bet they're regretting that mind).

The issue is now you have a lot of long term viewers now switching off and younger ones who got into the sport 4/5/6 years ago, now gradually getting bored and turning off.

Don't blame anyone, the current product is utterly dire, not helped by the fact that the team owning the dominant car are cheaters, full of undesirable characters high up.
I'd add to the above all the modern 'street' circuits, which are an abysmal watch in terms of actual racing.

i watched the reply of qualifying on saturday, then woke up sunday and literally didnt bother to even watch the highlights. considering i used to get up every weekend regardless of the time, in order to watch the races. its just so frustrating watch one person dominate in the way it is currently happening. even having a better 2nd driver and making it competitive would be much better. atleast in merc dominance there was inter team battling and interest. Its just not as fun for me anymore partly due to this and partly due to the tracks becoming less fun, and drivers not really being able to race with the size of the cars themselves. smaller cars or wider tracks are needed but cant see that happening either. they just want to get round in one piece, show off all the sponsors to get the money in and get back to the garage. its poor

Long periods of dominance are nothing new in F1. It's been commonplace for decades.

On top of that, there's a few things that I think make racing these days seem less interesting:

1) Reliability. Reliability is so much more improved now. In the past, it wouldn't be uncommon to have more than a handful of reliability related DNF's each race. I know Max's retirement in Australia was probably the first time I'd jumped out of my seat during a race in ages. That used to happen weekly.

2) Wet weather racing (or lack thereof) - as soon as there's any drizzle now, races are red flagged and no racing takes places. There's been loads of examples even in the last few seasons.

3) Amount of races - due to the money involved, the calendar is never ending now, thus the outcome of one race has less and less of an impact on a Championship that is 100 races long.

Any things that helped with variance in terms of results and entertainment have slowly but surely been eradicated and that has greatly contributed to the feeling of boredom. Randomness has all but disappeared.

That's just not true. The racing is closer than ever, EXCEPT for Max.
There's loads of overtaking since the new regs. Its just not for the lead of the race, so it doesn't feel as important.
Brawn leaving was a bugger though, the plan was for the new regs to be a living document that they would change accordingly. But with cost cap, that's a massive problem too.
I'd add to the above all the modern 'street' circuits, which are an abysmal watch in terms of actual racing.
And this makes the product seem worse too.

There's loads of overtaking since the new regs. Its just not for the lead of the race, so it doesn't feel as important.
Brawn leaving was a bugger though, the plan was for the new regs to be a living document that they would change accordingly. But with cost cap, that's a massive problem too.

Agree the racing is closer and the cars can follow each other for longer periods of time.

However, the gulf between Red Bull (well Max really) and the rest of the field means this is almost meaningless as winning is everything in F1.

It is likely that Max will win most of the remaining races and with the points Sergio will garner, RBR will win the constructors championship to go with Max’s drivers title.

This predictably renders this season a virtual right off.

The lack of overtaking at the sharp end of the grid is awful.

The lack of overtaking at the sharp end of the grid is awful.
having not seen the japanese race, i'll assume no one got close to max all race... was there another action for 2nd & 3rd? there's been the odd race in the last year where those spots were hotly contended (and without max would have been for the race win).

Vegas
Miami
Lusail
Jeddah
Baku
Singapore
Albert Park (always produced dull races, always disliked it immensely)

A third of the entire calendar consists of tracks which allow for nowt but dull as ditchwater racing as you say.
having not seen the japanese race, i'll assume no one got close to max all race... was there another action for 2nd & 3rd? there's been the odd race in the last year where those spots were hotly contended (and without max would have been for the race win).
Didn't sound like it (but I didn't watch the race).

Last edited:

Back