F1 2024

errant

Striker
As the phrase goes, things can only get better? Surely 2024 can only be an improvement on the 2023 thread - hopefully the 2024 racing is better too…

Social media manager at sauber were quick off the mark this morning changing everything from Alfa Romeo to the Stake F1 logos… assume the people behind Toro Rosso had a late one as the 2nd team name change hasn’t happened just yet.

As the phrase goes, things can only get better? Surely 2024 can only be an improvement on the 2023 thread - hopefully the 2024 racing is better too…

Social media manager at sauber were quick off the mark this morning changing everything from Alfa Romeo to the Stake F1 logos… assume the people behind Toro Rosso had a late one as the 2nd team name change hasn’t happened just yet.
Viewing figures have fallen off a cliff since 2021. Down from 87 million viewers a race to below 70 million in 2023.

I’m sure it’s all fine though.

Viewing figures have fallen off a cliff since 2021. Down from 87 million viewers a race to below 70 million in 2023.

HNY SMB F1 fans.

I’ve got mixed views on this and I’m still not sure where I stand. What got me into Formula 1 was the fact that it’s a team sport, and each team builds their version of a car and the best team wins - like cricket, football and any other team sport - so I don’t want it to be ‘engineered’ to make it better just for the audience (how shit would that be with the sports mentioned above) but I appreciate F1 isn’t like other sports so something has to be done I just don’t know what that thing is. Anyway, back to my pint.

Haway Max lad 4 in a row
Has to be odds-on.

I’m surprised 70 million tuned in to be fair, seems a lot for dead rubber after dead rubber.

Got to assume the next drive to survive will be the last, can’t think how Netflix can make in an entertaining watch in any form!?

Last edited:
Has to be odds-on.

I’m surprised 70 million tuned in to be fair, seems a lot for dead rubber after dead rubber.

Got to assume the next drive to survive will be the last, can’t think how Netflix can make in an entertaining watch in any form!?
It’s a lot lower than it was previously. The fans who watch drive to survive aren’t interested in the sport and so when there’s only one team winning, they just switch off.
And I’m one of those fans that hasn’t watched a full race since that night in Abu Dhabi
Same here.

Has to be odds-on.

Sooner the drive to survive clan sod off the better, Silverstone tickets will reduce back to a decent price (circa sub £200 for weekend general admission as they were prior to around 7 to 8 year ago).

On a more important note, I sincerely hope this year is decent viewing. As much as I despise Red Bull I can't see anyone else winning unfortunately but I do hope we get a half decent title challenge (from a merc driver preferably).

Last year was utterly grim (although seasons like that are repeated roughly once every decade usually; Williams '92, Ferrari '04, Red Bull 2013). Just hope to god we don't get anything like that this season.

Surprised the fall wasn't more than that tbh.

I went from someone to who rarely missed live races (or would watch full reruns) from around 1998 to the end of 2021, then watched about half live in '22 then only about 3 or 4 live last season.

Know quite a few with similar viewing patterns who have sharp became irritated or disinterested not due to the dominance of RB but the nature of invidivudals running that team, the farce of abu shabi 2021 (it will take years for hardcore, longstanding fans to come to terms with that), and the general stewardship of the sport which honestly concerns me. I worry about a sale to PIF sooner rather than later, and if that happens I'm officially done with the thing.
Even folk like Brundle and a good number at Autosport and the Race.com (blokes who know their stuff, unlike many of the youtubers and that), Mark Hughes, Gary Anderson etc. are generally concerned about the future of F1.

Last edited:
Sooner the drive to survive clan sod off the better, Silverstone tickets will reduce back to a decent price (circa sub £200 for weekend general admission as they were prior to around 7 to 8 year ago).

On a more important note, I sincerely hope this year is decent viewing. As much as I despise Red Bull I can't see anyone else winning unfortunately but I do hope we get a half decent title challenge (from a merc driver preferably).

Last year was utterly grim (although seasons like that are repeated roughly once every decade usually; Williams '92, Ferrari '04, Red Bull 2013). Just hope to god we don't get anything like that this season.

Surprised the fall wasn't more than that tbh.

I went from someone to who rarely missed live races (or would watch full reruns) from around 1998 to the end of 2021, then watched about half live in '22 then only about 3 or 4 live last season.

Know quite a few with similar viewing patterns who have sharp became irritated or disinterested not due to the dominance of RB but the nature of invidivudals running that team, the farce of abu shabi 2021 (it will take years for hardcore, longstanding fans to come to terms with that), and the general stewardship of the sport which honestly concerns me. I worry about a sale to PIF sooner rather than later, and if that happens I'm officially done with the thing.
Even folk like Brundle and a good number at Autosport and the Race.com (blokes who know their stuff, unlike many of the youtubers and that), Mark Hughes, Gary Anderson etc. are generally concerned about the future of F1.
100% agree with you.

I never turned off during the Schumacher, Vettel or Hamilton dominant eras. But, like you, fell out of love with modern F1. I still watch old races and love the bring back v10 podcasts etc. But couldn't give 1 toss about this year or the last 3.

F1 has always been about money, but its became ALL that its about. its not a sport anymore.

100% agree with you.

I never turned off during the Schumacher, Vettel or Hamilton dominant eras. But, like you, fell out of love with modern F1. I still watch old races and love the bring back v10 podcasts etc. But couldn't give 1 toss about this year or the last 3.

F1 has always been about money, but its became ALL that its about. its not a sport anymore.
Here here.

Agreed as well, the Bring Back V10s pod is utterly brilliant like.

Just feel like the sport misses some of the colour and character from the 90s and noughties tbh.

Thinking on that, its less about money than for a long time now - the cost cap, even if there are loopholes, it still hugely limiting some of the teams from what they could have done otherwise.

Merc would have thrown a fortune at catching RB in these last 2 years, but can't. Some teams don't quite reach the cap due to budgets, but it is at least holding the pack together somewhat.

I’ve never noticed you on the board before and I have clearly been fortunate. I am no fan of Max or anything whatsoever to do with Red Bull. My colours are clearly labelled to the Mercedes flag.

So in future, before you spout more lies, do a bit of homework. There’s a good lad

Classy reply, and interesting, given that you have replied to my posts on F1 threads before now... and indeed welcomed my participation as someone who isn't anti-MV: hence what was intended as a joke which i thought you would accept in the spirit in which it was offered. (You and I have also briefly discussed Moto GP on here).

However, I appreciate that you probably have bigger fish to fry. I'll leave you and your chums in the Mercedes/Hamilton echo chamber.

I’ve never noticed you on the board before and I have clearly been fortunate. I am no fan of Max or anything whatsoever to do with Red Bull. My colours are clearly labelled to the Mercedes flag.

So in future, before you spout more lies, do a bit of homework. There’s a good lad.

The jibe at me I think was a clear satirical statement on the fact you and I do have a friendship on the board.
Unfortunately expecting more of the same in terms of Red Bull dominance in ‘24. Let’s hope not though, Mercedes with James Allison back should surely be more competitive

I will be making some return to the series but will be focusing on the rest of the places and also on F2 and F3. I will still follow Ferrari but maybe not as much as the team in the WEC. Ferrari F1 have been trying to win a trophy for years yet their new WEC team in their first season as a Hypercar team went and won Le Mans last year.

Last edited:
Thinking on that, its less about money than for a long time now - the cost cap, even if there are loopholes, it still hugely limiting some of the teams from what they could have done otherwise.

Merc would have thrown a fortune at catching RB in these last 2 years, but can't. Some teams don't quite reach the cap due to budgets, but it is at least holding the pack together somewhat.
Sorry I meant that its all about making money for Liberty and the FIA. The teams like you say are being stifled in their development, Most drivers are pay drivers apart from the top 4-6, unless your dad owns the team of course.

Ticket prices are disgusting, More and more GPs are being staged in dodgy countries, or have races that are purely there for the advertising ''what happens in vegas stays in vegas'' type of shite. A race where a car was hit by a piece of the track and the driver got a penalty ffs.

F1 spends most of the year saying ''drink responsibly',' we race as one' or paint rainbows on their cars during June, Then stage races in Saudi and Qatar and soak up all that lovely blood money so they can invest in more US races in the calendar.

Its all fucked man

Sorry I meant that its all about making money for Liberty and the FIA. The teams like you say are being stifled in their development, Most drivers are pay drivers apart from the top 4-6, unless your dad owns the team of course.

Ticket prices are disgusting, More and more GPs are being staged in dodgy countries, or have races that are purely there for the advertising ''what happens in vegas stays in vegas'' type of shite. A race where a car was hit by a piece of the track and the driver got a penalty ffs.

F1 spends most of the year saying ''drink responsibly',' we race as one' or paint rainbows on their cars during June, Then stage races in Saudi and Qatar and soak up all that lovely blood money so they can invest in more US races in the calendar.

Its all fucked man
Oh yeah, completely

Back