F1 2023

It's even more laughable when they said only last year they wanted to group races together geographically to reduce travel, then immediately put Miami between Imola and Spain (I think, Baku might have been one of the 2)

This sport's governance is an utter joke.
Do they not also fly back to the UK/Italy where the factories are between some races too?

Intriguing little experiment for a couple of grand prix weekends in 2023. During qualifying it will be hard compound only for Q1, mediums for Q2, and softs for Q3. If it's successful it'll be trialled further at more GP weekends in 2024.
Yet another bit of artificial "drama". Just let them race and let the teams use the tools at their disposal to be inventive with strategy

Do they not also fly back to the UK/Italy where the factories are between some races too?
I don't think they fly all the cars and equipment back all the time, but obviously the crews get some time at home between races. I think pretty much the only times they bring everything back to the UK are for the British Grand Prix and the mid season break. It's all the more reason they should be looking to minimise travel from race to race.

Yet another bit of artificial "drama". Just let them race and let the teams use the tools at their disposal to be inventive with strategy
Just keep it simple, all 3 tyre compounds to be used in a dry race. 2 stop races are almost always better than 1 stop races and it would open up some strategic gambles for the best of the rest to get some surprise results.

Intriguing little experiment for a couple of grand prix weekends in 2023. During qualifying it will be hard compound only for Q1, mediums for Q2, and softs for Q3. If it's successful it'll be trialled further at more GP weekends in 2024.
So the fastest car will finish ahead of the slower car and race strategy will decrease a bit as all teams will have similar amounts of tyre sets left for the race.
Stupid idea to try and change something that ain't broke.

Just started this documentary series on Discovery + about Bernie Ecclestone. Bit of a polarising character to say the least but it’s fascinating viewing. You can get Discovery+ for nowt if you have Sky.

Just started this documentary series on Discovery + about Bernie Ecclestone. Bit of a polarising character to say the least but it’s fascinating viewing. You can get Discovery+ for nowt if you have Sky.
be interested to here what you make of the series, i thought that 8 hour long episodes seem a bit overkill for one person's story. kinda worried the whole thing might be a whitewash of his character, and let him rant against everything that went wrong before\after him and he was the savior of F1. plus, i don't think he's the most charismatic character when being interviewed in recent years on screen.

be interested to here what you make of the series, i thought that 8 hour long episodes seem a bit overkill for one person's story. kinda worried the whole thing might be a whitewash of his character, and let him rant against everything that went wrong before\after him and he was the savior of F1. plus, i don't think he's the most charismatic character when being interviewed in recent years on screen.
The bloke is awful

The bloke is awful
yeah im not gonna dive into this until i've heard what others had made of this... he's a clever bloke, can't imagine he'd agree to anything where he didnt come out of it looking well.

if you've ever seen the film on the history of frank williams (taken from his late wife's book) - its outstandingly warts & all... where in fact i thought frank comes out it looking like an absolutely terrible person (certainly an awful father\husband). the scene at the end where claire is talking to him in tears and he's this emotionless brick wall is difficult to watch. and that was an officially sanctioned production - somehow i can't imagine bernie would let himself into that kind of production.

Same, I thought 8 episodes would be overkill but I'm up to episode 7 and it's held my interest. Love the FISA/FOCA war stuff from the 80's. It's essentially a year by year review of F1 since its inception in 1950 and his take. Well worth a watch whether you like Bernie or not and definitely a lot better than DTS!

Same, I thought 8 episodes would be overkill but I'm up to episode 7 and it's held my interest. Love the FISA/FOCA war stuff from the 80's. It's essentially a year by year review of F1 since its inception in 1950 and his take. Well worth a watch whether you like Bernie or not and definitely a lot better than DTS!
There’s a similar documentary on Netflix about Max Mosley that goes into some detail about him and Bernie against Balestre. I’d recommend that too.

Just keep it simple, all 3 tyre compounds to be used in a dry race. 2 stop races are almost always better than 1 stop races and it would open up some strategic gambles for the best of the rest to get some surprise results.
I am all for this, use a compounds for a dry race for sure.

There’s a similar documentary on Netflix about Max Mosley that goes into some detail about him and Bernie against Balestre. I’d recommend that too.
Thought it was a cracking documentary that Mosley one.

Was not aware of that one. Unfortunately don’t have Sky but I’ll try use a free trial to have a watch.
yeah im not gonna dive into this until i've heard what others had made of this... he's a clever bloke, can't imagine he'd agree to anything where he didnt come out of it looking well.

if you've ever seen the film on the history of frank williams (taken from his late wife's book) - its outstandingly warts & all... where in fact i thought frank comes out it looking like an absolutely terrible person (certainly an awful father\husband). the scene at the end where claire is talking to him in tears and he's this emotionless brick wall is difficult to watch. and that was an officially sanctioned production - somehow i can't imagine bernie would let himself into that kind of production.
Frank certainly was quite a cut throat and polarising character amongst those in the know / behind the tv cameras.

The Race.com has a podcast series called being back v10s (I’d recommend it, some fantastic tales of the goings on in the 90s and 00s), there’s an episode about 1996 (hills championship) - the way Frank Williams (and Patrick head) effectively pushed hill out of the team mid season didn’t come across very nice at all.
Him choosing Clare to succeed him (instead of his son) and failing to deal with the inter sibling fall out after too didn’t come across well.

Last edited:

Back