F1 2021

Just driving an F1 car these day requires so much input from the drivers it is naive to say its not about the racing.

At Monaco in just over a week the drivers will be threading a 5 metre long missile through the narrow streets of the principality at close to 200 mph.

Its not just A B and C - Acceleration, braking and cornering all of which need precise inputs from drivers.

They also open and close the drag-reduction flap (DRS), which diverts air around the rear wing to increase straight-line speed. They tweak the Brake Migration (BMIG) setup adjusting front-rear braking balance on the go. And they are upshifting and downshifting, steering and braking, nailing apexes and braking zones.

Fangio, Moss. Clark and Stewart were all wonderful drivers and we quite rightly revere their performances - but these days the drivers are operating at a different level.

And they are racing 19 other people doing the same thing - for two hours.

Its utterly amazing!
Please tell the SkysportsF1 broadcast team that and all the other fans who grew up watching a battle of tyres and do not remember when they last saw wheel-to-wheel action.

If you love watching people talk about tyres and if you want to focus on the tyres then that is for you. If you want to see overtaking watch the A1 from the verge.

I have read some clueless BS in my time but that takes the biscuit. Please show me proof that I prefer Max over Lewis. I prefer neither. I support Ferrari and I also like McLaren. But then being a know-it-all with ESP you knew that. Please also provide me with evidence that because I think Lewis is winning it therefore isn't racing. Baseless nonsense from start to finish.

Paranoia in the extreme. Now I know why they call you MadMackem10.

You know my issue. I just want F1 to show it can be about racing and not just the tyres.
Apologies I knew you have a strong dislike for Hamilton, hence the insane claim that he has never overtaken someone without the help from things like tyres. So assumed you were a max. I should have remembered your attempts to defend Ferrari when they were caught cheating.

You do hate Lewis and Merc though
Do I? That is not proof I hate Lewis and Mercedes. Hating the fact in F1 it has come down to being a battle of who has conserved the tyres better when we have a spectacle brimming over with potential to be a brilliant exciting set of duels with drivers overtaking each other and competing as professional drivers who have earned the right to be in F1, is nothing to do with my dislike for whoever.

Let me turn it on it's head. Tell me about ONE...just one...exciting duel between two drivers for position. Go on. Take as long as you like.

Last edited:
Please tell the SkysportsF1 broadcast team that and all the other fans who grew up watching a battle of tyres and do not remember when they last saw wheel-to-wheel action.

If you love watching people talk about tyres and if you want to focus on the tyres then that is for you. If you want to see overtaking watch the A1 from the verge.
Ok even if you try and claim sundays race was the result of tyre strategy, you can’t deny the last race with Lewis getting past both Max and Bottas was purely down the the fact he was faster than them. They all had the same tyres on then.

Apologies I knew you have a strong dislike for Hamilton, hence the insane claim that he has never overtaken someone without the help from things like tyres. So assumed you were a max. I should have remembered your attempts to defend Ferrari when they were caught cheating.
He did get help from the tyres to a degree.

Did he race past the pack with blistering pace and skill? Did he win battles all over the lap?
Ok even if you try and claim sundays race was the result of tyre strategy, you can’t deny the last race with Lewis getting past both Max and Bottas was purely down the the fact he was faster than them. They all had the same tyres on then.
The Mercedes has terrific pace. Both. I thought Bottas did so well. But for me only because Hamilton's had by far the more reliable and efficient tyres and also MV's were fooked.

I also was impressed by some of Hamilton's overtaking (which there were countless). He is truly one of the most skillful drivers on the grid. Any time he comes up on a driver he passes them like they weren't there.

But why aren't we talking as much about his pace and skill as the ability for his crew to conserve his tyres better?

Last edited:

Did he race past the pack with blistering pace and skill? Did he win battles all over the lap?

The Mercedes has terrific pace. Both. I thought Bottas did so well. But for me only because Hamilton's had by far the more reliable and efficient tyres and also MV's were fooked.

I also was impressed by some of Hamilton's overtaking (which there were countless). He is truly one of the most skillful drivers on the grid. Any time he comes up on a driver he passes them like they weren't there.

But why aren't we talking as much about his pace and skill as the ability for his crew to conserve his tyres better?
There was nothing wrong with max’s tyres. Lewis overtook him on lap 11, Max didn’t pit until lap 36. It was good wheel to wheel racing that the tyres played no role in.

There was nothing wrong with max’s tyres. Lewis overtook him on lap 11, Max didn’t pit until lap 36. It was good wheel to wheel racing that the tyres played no role in.
That's not the impression I got from the pit broadcast.

You say it is good wheel-to-wheel racing. Good. Explain to me an occasion then. If you saw one you won't mine tell me about it, will you.

Yes he got help from the tyres, he also fell 24 seconds a lap behind.... yet you don't seem to acknowledge that fact.

There wasn't a pack to race back through to, but he dispatched the two drivers in front of him, also take a look at the Emilia Romagna for the last time he sliced through drivers

Bottas was shite, has been shite and will always be shite.

His crew don't conserve his tyres man, Hamilton does, all while being this fastest most skillful driver on the track.

This is an F1 thread. If you think the racing is better in another formula, you are perfectly entitled to start a new thread and chat happily about the gripping head to head battles they embrace.

As it is you are becoming something of a tediously repetitive bore, ironically whinging on about how tedious and repetitive F1 is.

That much is obvious. They aren't much good at anything else. Tyre strategy. That's all teams and fans obsess about. Please explain to me why it is we talk loads about tires and pit stops but not that much about the great 1-on-1 battles throughout the race. Not that you can but give it your best shot anyway.

F1 is a terrific spectacle and I was taken by the "will it/won't it" issue over whether or not Max's tyre's or Lewis' tyre's will last the race. Which is sad because not once did I focus on the race itself in the 66 laps they ran. Ted Kraviz and Martin Brundle did a great job of hyping the tyre survival battle and Lewis' blistering on the tyres was truly the most exciting thing about the race. It had me from the word go. But please can we have some racing?

There are some simple facts relating to F1, many of which are regulatory matters which are necessary to stop one team dominating; others designed to introduce uncertainty in a sport that has evolved to make overtaking, without some external influence, almost impossible.

1. If there were no budget constraints, tokens or other checks and balances Mercedes would win every year.

2. Tyre strategy is interesting to many spectators. It's one of those areas of variability required to make the sporting outcome less certain.

3. The car designers are so adept that they are all capable of producing car that are potentially too fast for the tracks. They need to be artificially restrained.

DRS, limitations on aero, engine capacity and a host of other bureaucratic measures are all required to make the sport even vaguely conperitive.

That's my summary of the situation. If you don't like it I'm sorry for you but many other people do.

This is an F1 thread. If you think the racing is better in another formula, you are perfectly entitled to start a new thread and chat happily about the gripping head to head battles they embrace.

As it is you are becoming something of a tediously repetitive bore, ironically whinging on about how tedious and repetitive F1 is.
He's already done this, just doesn't get the attention he craves in there
General Motorsport Thread

There are some simple facts relating to F1, many of which are regulatory matters which are necessary to stop one team dominating; others designed to introduce uncertainty in a sport that has evolved to make overtaking, without some external influence, almost impossible.

1. If there were no budget constraints, tokens or other checks and balances Mercedes would win every year.

2. Tyre strategy is interesting to many spectators. It's one of those areas of variability required to make the sporting outcome less certain.

3. The car designers are so adept that they are all capable of producing car that are potentially too fast for the tracks. They need to be artificially restrained.

DRS, limitations on aero, engine capacity and a host of other bureaucratic measures are all required to make the sport even vaguely competitive.

That's my summary of the situation. If you don't like it I'm sorry for you but many other people do.
Good. I feel I have learned a lot already today. Lots of that have educated and informed me. A new perspective on the FIA Formula One World Championship.
He's already done this, just doesn't get the attention he craves in there
General Motorsport Thread
To be fair 8 weeks is a fair old gap between posts. Not what you would call massively popular.

Last edited:
If positions were reversed and Max won on Sunday using a two stop over Lewis the race would have been dubbed a classic. We all prefer races with lots of overtaking but I can always appreciate a smart strategy winning the day.

Speaking of factors other than racing being important, have McLaren always been terrible at pitstops or has it been a recent decline? They seem to be well behind the majority of the other teams in terms of quick incident-free stops, Of course what Red Bull/Williams do is impressive but most teams seem able to churn out c. 2.5 seconds on a fairly regular basis.

Last edited:

Back