General Motorsport Thread

I am in such a good mood I thought I would finally take the plunge and start a thread about other motorsport series that's out there. It would detract from the topic if I explained why and I would like to keep this on the subject of motorsport.

Like all other sport, motor racing had a difficult 2020 trying to deal with the COVID pandemic. They had to amend calendars which saw meetings cancelled or moved elsewhere and no doubt teams had to shelve programmes in race-car design and production. IIRC the Hypercar project in the ACO's World Endurance Championhip had to be put back because of Coronavirus. But hopefully this year championships can slowly get back to a full calendar and roster. Lots of championships have still had to rearrange events and shorten their calendar but nothing like 2020. Hopefully in 2022 we can all see all of sport get back to before the pandemic. But the biggest miss has obviously been spectators and that may have had an affect on operational profits. Which is why I think all championships ought to bloody proud that they were still able to put on a great season.

So now it's your turn. Which series do you follow? What are you looking forward to seeing? Who do you think will do well? What news if any do you have? I would love to hear any views anyone may have and I hope that this can become a long running and popular thread. If not, if it doesn't get past the first page before it descends into a farce, then I go away happily knowing I tried.

Whatever it turns out to be it is good to know the SMB can talks about many things.

As already discussed I tend to follow F1 and MotoGP.

This year I am going to look out for Touring Cars and some of the other series you have pointed out. Got sky and Eurosport but not BT. I have a MotoGP pass to watch races live.

Might even try this E Extreme thing but it looks a bit gimmicky.

Why you on such a good mood @ShieldsBlackCat2015 ?

It’s just work is going good and yesterday just found out I had holiday to take - four weeks. Hols I didn’t know I even had or how I have come by. What’s more I’ve just found out today from my lass I’m getting paid for it.

Anyway, anyone into sports car racing? The 2021 WEC roster was revealed today which I saw on Motorsport.tv. Embarrassing isn’t the word. Just 4 entries in the new Hypercar class - a class meant to be a new era in the WEC. You can’t polish a turd. Hyping up the GTE PRO class as a titanic battle between Porsche and Ferrari is a bit of a cop out when Porsche and AF Corse are the only two in it. LMP2 is strong on entries but with 8 of the 10 all share the same chassis, ORECA, not as varied as past years. It’s only GTE-AM that has any respectability I think.

As already discussed I tend to follow F1 and MotoGP.

This year I am going to look out for Touring Cars and some of the other series you have pointed out. Got sky and Eurosport but not BT. I have a MotoGP pass to watch races live.

Might even try this E Extreme thing but it looks a bit gimmicky.

It’s a shame you don’t have BT Sport. The WRC coverage is way better than on mainstream ITV. You only get a few seconds of each drivers run on a stage before it cuts to a short chat at the end. You are with the car virtually all the time on BT Sport through the stage.

But if I were you I would subscribe to Motorsport.tv as getting passes on the series website can be expensive and the TV coverage may not be the best. You get loads of series not shown on telly there.
BTCC. Can't get away with the modern incarnation but the supertourers when I was a kid were the bollocks. Went to Croft in 97 for me birthday.

The mid 90s was the era of excess and was insane but was not sustainable. Spending was way OTT.

The new NGTC cars for me are meant to equalise things between the factory and non factory teams and create a bit of the ST era but without the spending. But 5 models have been retired - the VW CC, Audi S3, Mercedes A Class, BMW 125i and now the FKR Civic. No team will race any of those. This year may not be as strong.

Last edited:
It’s just work is going good and yesterday just found out I had holiday to take - four weeks. Hols I didn’t know I even had or how I have come by. What’s more I’ve just found out today from my lass I’m getting paid for it.

Anyway, anyone into sports car racing? The 2021 WEC roster was revealed today which I saw on Motorsport.tv. Embarrassing isn’t the word. Just 4 entries in the new Hypercar class - a class meant to be a new era in the WEC. You can’t polish a turd. Hyping up the GTE PRO class as a titanic battle between Porsche and Ferrari is a bit of a cop out when Porsche and AF Corse are the only two in it. LMP2 is strong on entries but with 8 of the 10 all share the same chassis, ORECA, not as varied as past years. It’s only GTE-AM that has any respectability I think.

It’s a shame you don’t have BT Sport. The WRC coverage is way better than on mainstream ITV. You only get a few seconds of each drivers run on a stage before it cuts to a short chat at the end. You are with the car virtually all the time on BT Sport through the stage.

But if I were you I would subscribe to Motorsport.tv as getting passes on the series website can be expensive and the TV coverage may not be the best. You get loads of series not shown on telly there.

The mid 90s was the era of excess and was insane but was not sustainable. Spending was way OTT.

The new NGTC cars for me are meant to equalise things between the factory and non factory teams and create a bit of the ST era but without the spending. But 5 models have been retired - the VW CC, Audi S3, Mercedes A Class, BMW 125i and now the FKR Civic. No team will race any of those. This year may not be as strong.
Absolutely it was excess, but that many manufacturers all competing in marques you see on the street was absolutely brilliant and the racing was ridiculously intense.

Hate the modern computer controlled mode of racing... Give me a banger racing meet anytime.. You can keep Grand Prix.. And rallying ... An oval track with home made cars is a joy to watch...

Where could I watch it? Any recommendations?

Gosh. To be honest I think online is probably the best area for full coverage. Either on the series website on their own TV channel or on their YouTube channel. The only championships that have a very good high quality coverage on network TV is the BTCC and BRDC F4 (both on ITV4); WTCR (World Touring Car Championship) on Eurosport, GTWC (GT World Challenge) and F1 (Both on SkysportsF1) and WRC (BTSport).

Other than that online may be the best bet.

Why you on such a good mood @ShieldsBlackCat2015 ?
I was going to be a twat after reading the first post and couldn't bring myself to do it, sounds like the lad's doing well

shows you the state of the jobs market when someone is surprised that they get paid holidays mind, everyone goes on about the mental unions in the 70s and their great hero MT but this is her legacy, companies take the piss and do what they like with employees
Gosh. To be honest I think online is probably the best area for full coverage. Either on the series website on their own TV channel or on their YouTube channel. The only championships that have a very good high quality coverage on network TV is the BTCC and BRDC F4 (both on ITV4); WTCR (World Touring Car Championship) on Eurosport, GTWC (GT World Challenge) and F1 (Both on SkysportsF1) and WRC (BTSport).

google motorboating SBC, make sure your ma isn't near

Last edited:

Do you think they will cover all the big shows or only little ones.

I was going to be a twat after reading the first post and couldn't bring myself to do it, sounds like the lad's doing well

shows you the state of the jobs market when someone is surprised that they get paid holidays mind, everyone goes on about the mental unions in the 70s and their great hero MT but this is her legacy, companies take the piss and do what they like with employees

I think 99% of us are pleased @ShieldsBlackCat2015 is doing well - was gutted for him when he got let go at his last place. Hopefully hes at the new one for a long time to come

Ridiculous when you think people dont realise that about holidays mind

So a bloke doesn’t realise he has holidays and it’s thatchers fault? That’s some stretch that mind. I’d go as far to say the biggest I’ve seen on here.

SBC is just a bit green with a lot of things in life

It's got nowt to do with politics. 99.9% of the population know you get holidays.

Back