F1 2020

same, at least we get a bit of a fix by the whole testing being on tv and there being no screens blocking our view of the garage. I'm just enjoying having the commentators chatting in the background while I'm doing other things. I think by day 6 they may be running out of things to talk about though.
lol, this was the "nonsense" that I was talking about. Yet I'll be there, watching every session :lol:

They are talking helmets at the moment, and now showing a fairing on Max's helmet and a winglet near the airbox possibly working together. Would the helmet soon come under aero rules, as a moveable aero device?

They are talking helmets at the moment, and now showing a fairing on Max's helmet and a winglet near the airbox possibly working together. Would the helmet soon come under aero rules, as a moveable aero device?

they'd had that little flick on the back of helmets for years, I have always thought there much be some rule about not doing anything more than that otherwise it is an obvious areas for exploitation.

they'd had that little flick on the back of helmets for years, I have always thought there much be some rule about not doing anything more than that otherwise it is an obvious areas for exploitation.
I've seen the fairings for a while, it is the winglet behind near the airbox that looks to be in coordination with it that got me thinking.

Another daft question. Does testing engine/gearbox/etc usage go towards the season totals, or are they completely seperate?

I remember a few teams bringing something similar up when McLaren came up with the F duct a few years ago, arguing that because the driver had to move a part of his body to operate it, it was a moveable aero device. I think the FIA said that any movements made by the drivers are completely allowed, probably due to safety reasons.

If any team does spot a way for the helmet to be used as an aero device, you can be sure they'll be ready with a safety argument should the FIA try to stop them.

They've been twittering on about them on and off this morning on commentary.

Max has had a little off, they are having a close look at his floor.
George Russell coming across well on commentary, and actually answering questions, which is quite refreshing.

Last edited:
This season set to basically be the same as last season as engineers worry about next years cars and all the new rules and regulation.

That seems a good summary to me... Lewis must be odds on for another (final?) title...

I don't know, with the rules being so stable they are all converging on the best setup. There wasn't that big a gap between the top three towards the end of last season.

I would really like to see Williams get in amongst the midfield teams, having them 2-3 seconds per lap slower wasn't good for anyone and their livery looks really good this year.

Just seen this photo from cota testing, the halo doesn’t look all that bad in comparison...

Logon or register to see this image

I would really like to see Williams get in amongst the midfield teams, having them 2-3 seconds per lap slower wasn't good for anyone and their livery looks really good this year.
What were the timings today?

Just seen this photo from cota testing, the halo doesn’t look all that bad in comparison...

Logon or register to see this image

What were the timings today?

yea that does look awful. I think we'll just get used to the halo, if it saves one life then it's worth it.

Big pinch of salt, no tyres are mentioned

1 Hamilton Mercedes 1:16.976 94 laps
2 Bottas Mercedes 1:17.313 79 laps
3 Perez Racing Point 1:17.375 58 laps
4 Verstappen Red Bull 1:17.516 168 laps
5 Kvyat AlphaTauri 1:17.698 115 laps
6 Sainz McLaren 1:17.842 161 laps
7 Ricciardo Renault 1:17.873 54 laps
8 Ocon Renault 1:18.004 62 laps
9 Russell Williams 1:18.168 73 laps
10 Stroll Racing Point 1:18.282 50 laps
11 Leclerc Ferrari 1:18.289 131 laps