F1 2020

I wonder what the regs are regarding this by Merc, no way I’m gonna look through them ha

I think what Mercedes will argue is that it isn’t a part of the suspension system so can’t be considered as “active suspension”. They very deliberately called it “dual axis steering” and I suspect there aren’t any specific rules about that. Could be wrong.

I suspect there aren’t any specific rules about that. Could be wrong.
i'd be surprised if there wasnt a rule about it before the end of year (one way or the other!).

its a shame its the nature of the sport that at the first sign of a competitors advantage, ask for it to be banned. be it spindly wings, big fuck off fans under the car or duel chassis they end up in the bin eventually.

suspect over a single lap it isnt the advantage the step diffuser was, but in the long runs im assuming the wheel deg will be greatly decreased?

I wonder what the regs are regarding this by Merc, no way I’m gonna look through them ha

Sky have and it’s perfectly legal
i'd be surprised if there wasnt a rule about it before the end of year (one way or the other!).

its a shame its the nature of the sport that at the first sign of a competitors advantage, ask for it to be banned. be it spindly wings, big fuck off fans under the car or duel chassis they end up in the bin eventually.

suspect over a single lap it isnt the advantage the step diffuser was, but in the long runs im assuming the wheel deg will be greatly decreased?

It’ll heat the tyres up on the straight so should increase cornering speed and also help with tyre deg. With the rear suspension generating more rear downforce this car is going to be a beast

Last edited:
Finally watching Drive to Survive. Very interesting and enjoyable at the same time. The lack of focus on Ferrari and Mercedes helped a lot in my opinion.
second series is out next friday i think, but includes the big boys now (although apparently merc wouldnt let them in at hockenheim)... not sure having them in will make it better - we've all seen the footage at the sharp-end, the fun was seeing sauber f***ing things up, or almost bullying their french driver...

second series is out next friday i think, but includes the big boys now (although apparently merc wouldnt let them in at hockenheim)... not sure having them in will make it better - we've all seen the footage at the sharp-end, the fun was seeing sauber f***ing things up, or almost bullying their french driver...
Even Red Bull came across well, as the 'biggest' team in series one, the fact I don't mind Christian Horner helps. He seems honest and tells it as it seems on the most part.

Ferrari always seemed a closed shop, but last season actually seemed to open up a little, so maybe this new series will be ok.

If Mercedes's social media is anything to go by, they should be ok.

will anyone have been holding something back till the third day? with hindsight i'm not sure DAS will the "big thing" everyone was frothing about yesterday.

Have you ever driven a car on a track day? The difference between the same semi-slick tyres when the temp is up compared to slightly cool is really big. How much difference it'll make to those F1 tyres is hard to say but if it doesn't affect straight line speed and keeps the front tyres at a good temp for turning in after long straights it'll be a really good advantage they have with it.

Looking pretty ominous already this in regards to where the Championships will end up
ferrari breaks down... bottas sets lap records... not sure what you're suggesting...
Have you ever driven a car on a track day? The difference between the same semi-slick tyres when the temp is up compared to slightly cool is really big. How much difference it'll make to those F1 tyres is hard to say but if it doesn't affect straight line speed and keeps the front tyres at a good temp for turning in after long straights it'll be a really good advantage they have with it.
i wasnt coming at it from that point of view, more that some of the reports from yesterday had it up there with the advantage brawn had in 09 with the double diffuser...

Last edited:
It’ll heat the tyres up on the straight so should increase cornering speed and also help with tyre deg. With the rear suspension generating more rear downforce this car is going to be a beast
Won't it be the opposite?
Having toe (in or out) on a straight means the tyre scrubs the track as the car goes forwards - that causes heat and deg
Having the tyres perfectly straight means they roll with no transverse resistance

This could be about cooling the insides of the tyres, which are usually the bit that degrades first.

Just a thought.

DAS banned from 2021.
predictable... people will say its the FIA bowing down to a Ferrari conspiracy - but with most things it this game they just ban it. i often wonder why some in the industry don't think 'why do i bother?'...
Seems I'm right though, it is about giving the option to cool the tyres.
i guess over a pole lap it won't make a massive difference, but over a race distance with tyre deg it could be a winner.

Ross Brawn was a master of exploiting loopholes so he's the best for poacher-turned-gamekeeper. He also now has a whole department looking for loopholes to close so I doubt he'd be too happy about what the Merc bods have done!

Mercs 1.4 seconds a lap quicker than anyone else today. Even if the other teams are sandbaggging they are so far ahead of the game.

Back