F1 2020

Even the official f1 site is pushing against the photocopied merc...

161 laps in a day... he’ll feel it tonight...

max did 168. I’m glad McLaren are putting the mileage in, testing during the Honda years was hard going.

Last edited:
Suppose they don't see much point chucking a load of cash at R&D in the last season before the rule change and Aston Martin come onboard. Can't blame them really.
If they get away with it it's genius. But them (and Haas) should face more scrutiny imo. Otherwise they might as well allow full B teams with tech and all research shared between them.

Mercedes seem to have a new toy. Adjustable steering toe on the fly on track. Other teams studying onboard footage like no-one's business, and discussions of is it active suspension etc.

Mercedes seem to have a new toy. Adjustable steering toe on the fly on track. Other teams studying onboard footage like no-one's business, and discussions of is it active suspension etc.
Either it's deemed legal and gives them an advantage.... or it's deemed illegal but the other teams have wasted a lot of time and resources investigating, researching it and complaining about it.

Yeah, changing geometry of the wheels via the steering wheel - its a classic loophole job - well done Merc!
If they get away with it it's genius. But them (and Haas) should face more scrutiny imo. Otherwise they might as well allow full B teams with tech and all research shared between them.
B Teams are already there in all but name really. Red Bull started it, then Haas and now RP. I always wonder how you're supposed to police it tbh.

Last edited:
Yeah, changing geometry of the wheels via the steering wheel - its a classic loophole job - well done Merc!
Who said there would be nothing innovative this year?
Either it's deemed legal and gives them an advantage.... or it's deemed illegal but the other teams have wasted a lot of time and resources investigating, researching it and complaining about it.
Either way, genius.
Half time scores. Lewis has put a shift in.

1. Sergio Perez 1:17.347 (Racing Point) laps - 48
  2. Daniel Ricciardo 1:17.749 (Renault) laps - 41
  3. Alex Albon 1:18.115 (Red Bull) laps - 59
  4. Pierre Gasly 1:18.165 (Alpha Tauri) laps - 77
  5. George Russell 1:18.266 (Williams) laps - 71
  6. Charles Leclerc 1:18.335 (Ferrari) laps - 49
  7. Lewis Hamilton 1:18.387 (Mercedes) laps - 106
  8. Romain Grosjean 1:18.496 (Haas) laps - 87
  9. Kimi Raikkonen 1:18.508 (Alfa Romeo) laps - 65
  10. Lando Norris 1:19.537 (McLaren) laps - 48

Last edited:
Who said there would be nothing innovative this year?

Either way, genius.
Stolen from elsewhere but this comment makes it even more intriguing:

"Imagine if this is legal and passes FIA scrutiny which could make it legal for 2021.

That will mean a lot of teams reviewing their designs which will set them back a great deal for the new regs :lol: "

I wonder what the regs are regarding this by Merc, no way I’m gonna look through them ha
Lots of people already have, and Merc have discussed it with the FIA in advance of testing. All seems legal.

The other teams will try to challenge that obviously but based on what I've been reading... because it's not automated, doesn't alter the suspension and doesn't use a new device to control it but uses the existing steering wheel just in a new direction it seems perfectly legit.

Combine that with the apparently impressive rear suspension structure Merc also have and it seems they're after a clean sweep under the current regs.

Back