F1 2019

problem there is you need a promoter who'll stump up a shed load of cash to get a circuit F1 ready, but then only have a money spinning race there once every few years... you'd need someone rich enough to buy the likes of turkey\india\korea and run them as one group.
I'm talking about tracks that are already F1 ready though. Spain, Germany, France etc. Tracks that are under threat of being dropped.

I can see Germany getting axed, almost looked like more people were at the Forest Green match last night than Hockenheim qualifying last year (joke). In all seriousness though, I’m pretty sure they said there was less than 50,000 there for raceday last year which is pretty bad when you consider it’s Germany and Silverstone got 125,000.

The place has been awfully attended since Schumachers Ferrari days ended, when it used to look like one of the best atmospheres on the calendar. Shame, although the races have usually been dull there.
It’s never been the same at Hockenheim since they shortened the track. It’s almost impossible to overtake and makes for a boring race. Monaco has the added edge of the walls being so close to the track and the glamour. Hockenheim has none of these

It didn't move around that much. For long spells. it was held at the Nurburgring then in Valencia. Prior to that, it had been shifted between Brands Hatch, Nurburgring, Jerez and Donington (once).
I get that it didn't move that much, but would we have seen any of those tracks had it not been for the European GP?

I suppose my second point is slightly irrelevant considering a few of the tracks mentioned got 5 year(ish) deals, and the ones that hosted one race were usually filling in to cover problems.

Last edited:
Sad news about Lauder. I really thought he'd recover and come back - as he always did.

RIP, F1 will be far poorer without you.

With Niki, Charlie, Ron Dennis, Flavio and Bernie no longer around the paddock, F1 suddenly feels like a very corporate world. Sad times.

Last edited:

Back